F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Turning off Fog Light turn signal
GetBMWParts

03-23-2019, 01:09 PM   #23
ByTheSea
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 320i MSport Auto LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330XDave View Post
... They provide zero increased visibility from the drivers seat...
I suspect you have idea what fog lights are actually for. They are not designed to provide additional lighting for the driver but to act as a warning to other drivers and pedestrians.

See here...

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-ne...en-to-use-them

In particular this para...

Fog lights are designed to be used when visibility is severely restricted, chiefly by fog, but also in other poor visibility conditions such as snow or heavy rain. They are designed to make you more visible, rather than helping to light your way so they are not needed in good visibility conditions at night - that’s what your headlights are for. They should only be used when your car's main lights won't be enough to make you visible to other road users. The Highway Code (Rule 226) states:

"You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves."
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 01:50 PM   #24
330XDave
Major
Rep
Drives: 330d xDrive Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByTheSea View Post
I suspect you have idea what fog lights are actually for. They are not designed to provide additional lighting for the driver but to act as a warning to other drivers and pedestrians.

See here...

Fog lights are designed to be used when visibility is severely restricted, chiefly by fog, but also in other poor visibility conditions such as snow or heavy rain. They are designed to make you more visible, rather than helping to light your way so they are not needed in good visibility conditions at night - that’s what your headlights are for. They should only be used when your car's main lights won't be enough to make you visible to other road users. The Highway Code (Rule 226) states:

"You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves."
But I'm not talking about the fog lights in the context of fog lights am I? I'm talking about them in the context of them being cornering lights. And in that context they are a gimmick, a waste of time, completely pointless. End of discussion from my point of view.

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 02:50 PM   #25
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Zero is a bit harsh, there’s several corners I’ve noticed it makes a marked improvement on lighting up kerbs.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 03:36 PM   #26
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330XDave View Post
I'm sorry it really is. They provide zero increased visibility from the drivers seat. If anything I would say the annoyance of seeing 1 fog light on another car is more of a distraction than anything else.
I’m agreeing with you that the use of the fog light for the purpose of cornering lights isn’t good. The idea of cornering lights are good though I think.

The cornering light on the 220d Active Tourer with Adaptive LED headlights are brilliant though as it uses an LED unit within the headlight and they are bright and light up the corners

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 07:04 AM   #27
speary8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 440i M Sport Convertible

Quote:

See here...

My understanding of fog lights is that they are designed to illuminate the edge for the road and are set low down so as not to bounce back off the fog. If you have them have a look at the beam pattern it’s low and wide. As for being more noticable to other road users I don’t believe they would add much as they are the same or lower wattage than headlights and are generally smaller. Regarding their usefulness as a cornering light. If you were turning into a dark unlit street, driveway etc it will illuminate any obstructions eg kerbs, potholes,lawns etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 12:58 PM   #28
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by speary8 View Post
Quote:

See here...

My understanding of fog lights is that they are designed to illuminate the edge for the road and are set low down so as not to bounce back off the fog. If you have them have a look at the beam pattern it’s low and wide. As for being more noticable to other road users I don’t believe they would add much as they are the same or lower wattage than headlights and are generally smaller. Regarding their usefulness as a cornering light. If you were turning into a dark unlit street, driveway etc it will illuminate any obstructions eg kerbs, potholes,lawns etc.
This, but also for those of you with Adaptive Lights it's worth noting that the main beam pattern also changes when fog lights are activated to reduce the bounce back. Shorter throw and wider beam. Very effective in fog, snow or heavy rain.

LCI fog lights seem to have two light units in the cluster. I assume one fog and one cornering.
      03-25-2019, 03:16 PM   #29
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335XD

They were enabled from factory in my car. Led Headlights.
Initially I did code them out as I thought it looked silly ( with bimmercode)

After seeing so many cars on the road with the same feature, I re-enabled them . I do think the help to brighten the corners when turning. At least in my car..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 04:28 PM   #30
ByTheSea
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 320i MSport Auto LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by speary8 View Post
They are primarily designed to give off an intensity of spot light that can be seen at some distance. As a side effect of that they do provide a very short throw low level light that illuminates a short distance in front. If you don't believe that go argue with the experts that write the article I linked to.
Appreciate 0