F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Door Latching Issue
GetBMWParts

08-12-2018, 02:45 PM   #1
Richard Ellis
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 328D X-Drive

Door Latching Issue

I have not been able to find anyone else that has had this issue, but I just went to close my rear passenger door and with a bit more than a gentle push to close the door, it bounces back open.

I've been able to duplicate the problem and sometimes it'll bounce open, most of the times it'll seat for a nanosecond and bounce open but not come fully unlatched.

Unless I close soft and guide the door all the way to the fully latched position, it will not stay fully closed.

Nothing is blocking it from closing. Is there an adjustment that can be made to the mechanism, or a fix for this aside from replacing the latching mechanism all together?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 08:43 PM   #2
strobe89
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 + 2015 335i xDrive

I never had mine not close, but almost all of my doors were off a bit in their closed state. Both rear doors looked ajar when closed. I loosened up the door striker on the body of the car and just kept nudging it closer to the inside of the car and re-tightening until the doors sat flush with the body.

Is your door flush when properly latched? If not, I'd try using a torx bit (forget what size it is) to loosen the striker up and adjust it until the door latches flush. Then see if the problem persists.
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2018, 11:00 PM   #3
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Ellis View Post
I have not been able to find anyone else that has had this issue, but I just went to close my rear passenger door and with a bit more than a gentle push to close the door, it bounces back open.

I've been able to duplicate the problem and sometimes it'll bounce open, most of the times it'll seat for a nanosecond and bounce open but not come fully unlatched.

Unless I close soft and guide the door all the way to the fully latched position, it will not stay fully closed.

Nothing is blocking it from closing. Is there an adjustment that can be made to the mechanism, or a fix for this aside from replacing the latching mechanism all together?
I would suggest the door isn’t aligned properly...or at least some part of it (or locking device).
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 02:28 PM   #4
strobe89
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 + 2015 335i xDrive

That is why I suggested fiddling with the striker first. That is something very quick and easy. If no results, then go to the next easiest thing to adjust until it starts working properly.
Appreciate 0