F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Regular auto vs Sport Auto (2TB) difference?
ARMA SPEED

04-29-2015, 04:24 PM   #45
sandwi54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G07, F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by floppyedonkey View Post
For those saying BMW is charging too much ($500) for a sport transmission... BMW isn't the brand for you. That is a VERY reasonable price, maybe other brands offer more bang for a $500 option but quality wins here.

Physical Option:
-Paddles
-Software remap
-Different gear changer

Rewards:
-Sportier response
-resell value/interest
Totally agree. These cars are not your typical Toyota or Honda where options cost $200.
      04-29-2015, 06:35 PM   #46
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Agree with the above 2 posts.

Another way to look at it is how much to retrofit
- oem sport gear lever
- oem paddles
- software upgrade

It will likely be more than the $500

I love the look and feel of the gear lever. The standard one just looks a bit flimsy and out of place.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 12:18 AM   #47
HandlerFahrer
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

I just bought a 435i Gran Coupe and have been very slowly breaking it in. The other day I started really getting on it and using the paddle shifters. I noticed that the transmission shifted very quickly and something else I noticed that I didn't care for was that it also somewhat lunged the car forward. In other words it was almost impossible to have nice smooth shift forward. I didn't think too much of it at the time. Then, brought the car in for a creaking noise and got a 535i loaner without the paddles and sport transmission version. Definitely a difference. It wasn't until I drove this car that made me realize what was going on...which is why I'm on this thread now. There is a definite difference imo - the transmission shifts noticeably quicker which is nice of course, but you also get the lunge with it. I don't like this and would actually prefer the normal transmission due to this. The normal one still shifts very quick but you get a much smoother, more precise shift - i mean it's like perfection! Even if I would have know this in advance though, I couldn't have gotten the normal transmission with M-Sport. Now I just know what I'm missing :-(
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 12:44 AM   #48
bobbydigital
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BWM 435GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandlerFahrer
I just bought a 435i Gran Coupe and have been very slowly breaking it in. The other day I started really getting on it and using the paddle shifters. I noticed that the transmission shifted very quickly and something else I noticed that I didn't care for was that it also somewhat lunged the car forward. In other words it was almost impossible to have nice smooth shift forward. I didn't think too much of it at the time. Then, brought the car in for a creaking noise and got a 535i loaner without the paddles and sport transmission version. Definitely a difference. It wasn't until I drove this car that made me realize what was going on...which is why I'm on this thread now. There is a definite difference imo - the transmission shifts noticeably quicker which is nice of course, but you also get the lunge with it. I don't like this and would actually prefer the normal transmission due to this. The normal one still shifts very quick but you get a much smoother, more precise shift - i mean it's like perfection! Even if I would have know this in advance though, I couldn't have gotten the normal transmission with M-Sport. Now I just know what I'm missing :-(
I had to re-read your post several times to make sure I wasn't misreading it.

I can't believe you prefer the non-sport transmission for manual shifting. It's night and day difference and I prefer the sport for sure.

Have you tried letting off the gas slightly when you shift then feathering it back on? Or are you just holding the throttle and shifting?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 12:59 AM   #49
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandlerFahrer View Post
You can code the "normal" transmission back

On a serious note, my SAT shifts extremely smoothly.
As a matter in fact, I've had people commenting on how you *don't* notice it shifting.
You only really notice it under heavy acceleration - but that's normal.
IMO this is one of the best transmissions that I came across.
2010 BMW Z4 sDrive35i DKG | 306 HP / 400Nm | Space Gray | Photo album

Last edited by stormlv; 05-20-2015 at 12:54 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2015, 06:18 PM   #50
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbydigital
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandlerFahrer
I had to re-read your post several times to make sure I wasn't misreading it.

I can't believe you prefer the non-sport transmission for manual shifting. It's night and day difference and I prefer the sport for sure.

Have you tried letting off the gas slightly when you shift then feathering it back on? Or are you just holding the throttle and shifting?
Night and day difference? I've heard that there's an ever so slight hint of a difference between the shifting in sport AT and regular AT....but some can't even detect it.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 07:04 PM   #51
AHB900
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335I M-Sport

ive driven both and yes the sports transmission is night and day difference. Shifts faster, harder, and smoother.

I actually currently have a loaner without the sport auto and I can't stand it.
      05-19-2015, 08:09 PM   #52
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandlerFahrer View Post
I love the 'lunge' aspect of it. On a track, side by side, you can see a car with a tightened up program to the transmission upshift for the win . Yes..it does lunge..no doubt about it. Gotta love firm upshifts.
      05-02-2018, 08:51 AM   #53
Rudeboi
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 and F30 335i X-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@codemybimmer View Post
youre basically paying 500$ for aesthetics

sport transmission can be coded to a non 2TB car
Bought a used 335i F30 whihc appears to have the Steptronic shift lever. Can I swap it out for the lever that comes with the Sport transmission?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 09:09 AM   #54
lerbagSt
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboi View Post
Bought a used 335i F30 whihc appears to have the Steptronic shift lever. Can I swap it out for the lever that comes with the Sport transmission?

Thanks in advance.
Parts diagram for the gear levers:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=25_0519

Search ebay for the last 7 of the part number:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=9296898

Should be a direct swap!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 09:18 AM   #55
Rudeboi
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 and F30 335i X-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerbagSt View Post
Parts diagram for the gear levers:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=25_0519

Search ebay for the last 7 of the part number:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=9296898

Should be a direct swap!
Awesome! Thank you!!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 10:36 AM   #56
hadeswolf
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_435xi View Post
i think its worth the $500 for the aesthetics, let alone the other features. paddle shifters look cool and are fun to play with, and don't forget about the bad@$$ sport shifter!!!! (see pics to compare)
Ignorant me, I didn't even know there was a standard automatic option, every F3x at my local dealership's inventory had the paddle shifters.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 12:07 PM   #57
Hammer Werke
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328d Touring

Its definitely faster shifting with the SAT on. It hammers through the gears. Acceleration is constant...no lag during shifts. I have a diesel M-sport wagon. For me, when I turn on the SAT and sport or sport+ it feels like a different car than comfort mode. I especially like how it downshifts and holds the gear at a high rpm and uses engine braking when decelerating....feels great...very responsive... best transmission I've ever owned.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 12:30 PM   #58
uncleruckus
no relation
Rep
Drives: F30 328i xDrive

This ZF 8 speed is the best auto transmission on the market imo. I drove the newer Mercedes 7speed dual clutch recently and while it does shift faster when manually shifting (WOT shifts are where its most noticeable and it does downshifts very quick); however the auto mode (or sport mode), logic isn't that great. It seems to hesitate more and doesnt feel as smooth as our ZF auto when left in Auto mode.

I don't believe the SAT (sport auto) actually changes shift speeds, rather it changes how it shifts and where it shifts. Best way i can describe it is that it seems less hesitant and "snappier" compared to regular one, but the actual shift times don't change. That being said, I am uneducated online poster, so I could definitely be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 01:38 AM   #59
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
I just coded mine and yes I can tell a difference... faster, harder shifts... funny how I have Mbrakes and no paddles... but very very glad I have the Mbrakes since this was so easy to code... paddles are $90... should have harness already in the steering wheel... I mostly use paddles for downshifting for engine braking into corners... which also puts me in the right gear to pull me out of corners... let the auto take over for upshifts... you can't do better for that... very happy with this car... couldn't ask for a more fun car that you can do so much with...
Appreciate 0