F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 2016 340i Cylinder wall damage
GetBMWParts

01-10-2019, 08:17 PM   #23
vinzcast21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 340i MY2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinzcast21 View Post
Got the car back, will update pics of the invoice soon
Looking forward to the details.
UPDATE:
SA confirms that the picture was of 1 cylinder, but there are still scorings on the others but not as bad as #2 which has a oil fouled spark plugs and faulty injectors. Puma case was opened and here is the pic

car runs normal right now we'll see couple days
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 06:43 AM   #24
disintegrator66
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 340i M-Sport 6MT THP MPPSK

Quote:
UPDATE:
SA confirms that the picture was of 1 cylinder, but there are still scorings on the others but not as bad as #2 which has a oil fouled spark plugs and faulty injectors. Puma case was opened and here is the pic

I'd be worried about the scoring found on all cylinders. This isnt right. I'd want this resolved now vs. kicking the can down the road and potentially $hitting the bed post warranty.... New engine please and thank you!
Appreciate 5
      01-11-2019, 08:40 AM   #25
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

@disintegrator66 is raising a good point. Did the dealer suggest in any way that as long as the engine operates properly the cylinder wall scoring should be accepted?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 11:42 AM   #26
vinzcast21
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by disintegrator66 View Post
Quote:
UPDATE:

I'd be worried about the scoring found on all cylinders. This isnt right. I'd want this resolved now vs. kicking the can down the road and potentially $hitting the bed post warranty.... New engine please and thank you!
what should I say to the dealer then? they said just keep it on monitor for couple of months
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 11:48 AM   #27
vinzcast21
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
@disintegrator66 is raising a good point. Did the dealer suggest in any way that as long as the engine operates properly the cylinder wall scoring should be accepted?
the SA told me this
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 12:54 PM   #28
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
the SA told me this
I'd be skeptical as well.

You should probably get a pipe extension and keep that engine revving near the redline for a good 30+ minutes or so until it explodes and tow that pile of fail back to the dealership for a new engine.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 01:03 PM   #29
vinzcast21
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
I'd be skeptical as well.

You should probably get a pipe extension and keep that engine revving near the redline for a good 30+ minutes or so until it explodes and tow that pile of fail back to the dealership for a new engine.
won't this be like my fault hence dealer wont cover it?

anyways car is running fine but yeah with a scored cylinder I am kind of worried on what steps should I take
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 02:12 PM   #30
EBS0712
BMW CCA #257
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Wagon / 2020 G20

Are you a member of BMW CCA? If not you should join. The Club has an Ombudsman program which helps members negotiate and work with BMW NA on issues like this. The club also has respected technical experts that are available to advise and their credibility helps when working with BMWNA.
Like what has been said .... the scoring on the cylinder walls is not acceptable and your dealer is trying to delay fixing the root cause.
BMW CCA # 257
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 02:21 PM   #31
vinzcast21
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBS0712 View Post
Are you a member of BMW CCA? If not you should join. The Club has an Ombudsman program which helps members negotiate and work with BMW NA on issues like this. The club also has respected technical experts that are available to advise and their credibility helps when working with BMWNA.
Like what has been said .... the scoring on the cylinder walls is not acceptable and your dealer is trying to delay fixing the root cause.
i dont know if BMW CCA will cover canada as I am in canada
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 03:01 PM   #32
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340ix 6MT

I'm confused .. what are they saying caused the scoring? And are they just saying "compression / leak down is fine, it's not a big deal"

To me, scored walls are caused by A) foreign matter in combustion B) bad rings

I think you may have something more serious going on, e.g. failing turbo, failing rings, and they're kicking it down for now. I'd at least want to have an [educated] conversation with the tech, not the SA.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 03:04 PM   #33
vinzcast21
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuminNuman View Post
I'm confused .. what are they saying caused the scoring? And are they just saying "compression / leak down is fine, it's not a big deal"

To me, scored walls are caused by A) foreign matter in combustion B) bad rings

I think you may have something more serious going on, e.g. failing turbo, failing rings, and they're kicking it down for now. I'd at least want to have an [educated] conversation with the tech, not the SA.
Based on the conversation I have with the SA (I don't have access to the tech behind the scenes) they say they found scoring, couldn't find the reason why except for bad plugs in which they found the plug for cyl2 had oil fouled. they did a leakdown and compression test and returned good. couldn't find any foreign substance on oil and air filter. and just replaced the injectors and plugs for cyl2

I tried to book another appointment at another dealership and right now speaking to a customer service representative at BMW CA
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 03:19 PM   #34
EBS0712
BMW CCA #257
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Wagon / 2020 G20

Quote:
i dont know if BMW CCA will cover canada as I am in canada
Whoops ...... forgot you were from Canada .....
Check out BMW Club Canada (http://bmwclub.ca). Maybe they have the same services / benefits as CCA?
BMW CCA # 257
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 03:28 PM   #35
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I'm not following the full fault finding and decision making path here. Pictures to BMW NA, what was their response? 'Scoring' in all, or just No. 2 cylinder? I'm reading all cylinders from OP and paperwork. That doesn't sound right at all.

Therefore is it really scoring, (pictures are too small to interrogate closely), or just rub marks from the thrust side of the pistons?

Quote:
Then dealer told me the spark plug on Cylinder 2 had fouled and yet the ignition coil and injector is functioning okay. They did a leakdown on the engine and compression test and found there are some scoring on the cylinder walls and they have sent pictures to BMW NA and still waiting for them to get back to the dealer.
In my experience BMW must have OK'd the remedial work, not a new engine, if they have been involved. I've been involved with scoring in a BMW M62 V8, (one cylinder) BMW's UK engine guru got involved straight away, (with the dealer) once pictures were sent to him.

BTW, if there is definitely scoring, is there any noise, piston slap? Compression and Leak Down figures (3 - 6%) are not indicating a severe scoring issue.

Doesn't appear the OP is getting the full account. I'm intrigued.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 03:32 PM   #36
vinzcast21
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I'm not following the full fault finding and decision making path here. Pictures to BMW NA, what was their response? 'Scoring' in all, or just No. 2 cylinder? I'm reading all cylinders from OP and paperwork. That doesn't sound right at all.

Therefore is it really scoring, (pictures are too small too interrogate closely), or just rub marks from the thrust side of the pistons?

Quote:
Then dealer told me the spark plug on Cylinder 2 had fouled and yet the ignition coil and injector is functioning okay. They did a leakdown on the engine and compression test and found there are some scoring on the cylinder walls and they have sent pictures to BMW NA and still waiting for them to get back to the dealer.
In my experience BMW must have OK'd the remedial work, not a new engine, if they have been involved. I've been involved with scoring in a BMW M62 V8, (one cylinder) BMW's UK engine guru got involved straight away, (with the dealer) once pictures were sent to him.

BTW, if there is definitely scoring, is there any noise, piston slap? Compression and Leak Down figures (3 - 6%) are not indicating a severe scoring issue.

Yes apparently it is all of the cylinders (my SA told me that was his mistake tellingn me its only 1 cylinder) .. they say it was really scoring but didn't tell me how deep it is. and all BMW told them is to check oil and fuel filter in which they didnt find anything hence "okay" in the paperwork
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 03:33 PM   #37
vinzcast21
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Therefore is it really scoring, (pictures are too small to interrogate closely), or just rub marks from the thrust side of the pistons?

Quote:

They cannot give me the pictures somehow I had been asking and they wouldnt give me
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 04:17 PM   #38
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yes apparently it is all of the cylinders (my SA told me that was his mistake tellingn me its only 1 cylinder) .. they say it was really scoring but didn't tell me how deep it is. and all BMW told them is to check oil and fuel filter in which they didnt find anything hence "okay" in the paperwork
I'm suspecting they were looking to see if there was any material transfer from bores, (or pistons), getting into the lubrication system. Probably precautionary, before running the engine with a new injector and plug.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 04:22 PM   #39
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
They cannot give me the pictures somehow I had been asking and they wouldnt give me
I wonder if BMW put an embargo on distribution of the pictures. Shame, as we could have had a closer look at the marking/scoring.

How's the engine running? Are you still under warranty, or any mention of BMW caring for this issue if there is further issues?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 04:26 PM   #40
vinzcast21
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I wonder if BMW put an embargo on distribution of the pictures. Shame, as we could have had a closer look at the marking/scoring.

How's the engine running? Are you still under warranty, or any mention of BMW caring for this issue if there is further issues?
I am under warranty until 2019 November 31.
BMW told me to keep it monitored until then and report if any issues
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 04:50 PM   #41
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I know some poster's comments take a strong stance, but with a warranty and now clearly on record, you are covered. I've always found BMW to be straight forward when there is an established fault/issue. Having had direct communication over the years with BMW's Technical Department here in the UK, Field Engineers and BMW's engine guy, there has always been the assurance that a warranty will sort further issues.

When my V8 had issues, the engine guy personally assured me "if it needs a new engine it will get one". In my case it did require a new engine, zero cost to me.

I'd personally monitor it, listen for any change in sounds from the engine. Particularly to any unfamiliar sounds developing when the engine is warm.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 04:52 PM   #42
vinzcast21
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I know some poster's comments take a strong stance, but with a warranty and now clearly on record, you are covered. I've always found BMW to be straight forward when there is an established fault/issue. Having had direct communication over the years with BMW's Technical Department here in the UK, Field Engineers and BMW's engine guy, there has always been the assurance that a warranty will sort further issues.

When my V8 had issues, the engine guy personally assured me "if it needs a new engine it will get one". In my case it did require a new engine, zero cost to me.

I'd personally monitor it, listen for any change in sounds from the engine. Particularly to any unfamiliar sounds developing when the engine is warm.
Okay make sense! I am just worried if it breaks outside my warranty period, like its 10 months from now
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 05:10 PM   #43
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Okay make sense! I am just worried if it breaks outside my warranty period, like its 10 months from now
Look at it this way, you have paperwork stating it has cylinder scoring. Even if that is an overstatement, any issues that could develop comes back to that inspection, even your simple multi-shot picture adds to that evidence.

I can't see BMW giving you a letter of comfort, but any independent engineer, (if there is reluctance of BMW to take full responsibility), will immediately link back to this issue.

I bought my current 535i as an ex BMW management car, at just over a year old with 6k miles. There was an issue picked up by the tech' moving the car, valvetronic motor wasn't calibrating correctly. During the replacement he noticed a couple of rust marks on the camshaft. Sent pictures to BMW, they authorised a new camshaft.

I questioned the future reliability of the engine, opened up to replace a camshaft at such low mileage, outside the factory. I was invited to see the engine apart, discuss it with the Master Tech. Garage contacted BMW to see what they'd do to assure me for the future. BMW UK sweetened the deal with a 5-year service pack. (We don't get that free over here in the UK). Assured me the warranty was cast iron and the fact it was worked on, was on record. If anything did develop as a result of the remedial work, it would be acknowledged in any future assessment.
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2019, 05:45 PM   #44
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

You might pull a sample of the engine oil and send it to Blackstone labs (see attached sample lab report from my old E39)...only costs $25 and might give you some peace of mind, or at worst...point toward issues.

Good luck/Bill
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Dec_2016_oil_analysis.pdf (17.4 KB, 83 views)
Appreciate 0