F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > M performance brakes making noise ?
Studio RSR

03-22-2015, 01:27 PM   #23
lololo
Rep
Drives: E92 335i - F30 328i

I got my M performance brakes (orange) installed 2 weeks ago on my 328... And yes....I also having that noise ....
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 06:32 PM   #24
johnpriya
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6

Can anyone with M sport brakes that have the plain rotors comment on this noise? Do you guys have this ticking noise?

Also has anyone with M Perf brakes replaced the rotors with plain ones to see if this noise disappears?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 08:12 PM   #25
DrifterX
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport 6MT+RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-terkait View Post
do you guys have a sound also when moving really slow around parking lots while turning around ? hard hit sound from left and right too..
Guys, based on the video posted here, this has nothing to do with lugs or the rotors... This happens when you have little (or no) amount of grease between the pistons of the caliper and the brake pad. It's in no way a problem but more of a nuisance... it's just clunking noises of the brake pad against the caliper/pistons and usually happens when the brake is pressed/released. If it REALLY annoys you, have your dealer apply more brake grease to the back of the brake pads.

Same thing happens with my Nissan if I don't have enough grease on the backside of my brake pads; it's got 4 piston calipers in the front and 2 piston in the rear as well. The grease help the pistons, in a sense, "hold" onto the brake pads as they shift in and out instead of the brake pads being loose in their tracks. It greatly helps reduce the chatter/clunking.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 11:23 PM   #26
M-terkait
Major
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 3/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrifterX
Quote:
do you guys have a sound also when moving really slow around parking lots while turning around ? hard hit sound from left and right too..
Guys, based on the video posted here, this has nothing to do with lugs or the rotors... This happens when you have little (or no) amount of grease between the pistons of the caliper and the brake pad. It's in no way a problem but more of a nuisance... it's just clunking noises of the brake pad against the caliper/pistons and usually happens when the brake is pressed/released. If it REALLY annoys you, have your dealer apply more brake grease to the back of the brake pads.

Same thing happens with my Nissan if I don't have enough grease on the backside of my brake pads; it's got 4 piston calipers in the front and 2 piston in the rear as well. The grease help the pistons, in a sense, "hold" onto the brake pads as they shift in and out instead of the brake pads being loose in their tracks. It greatly helps reduce the chatter/clunking.
Well thanks ill try to do that today
      03-30-2015, 11:24 PM   #27
M-terkait
Major
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 3/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrifterX
Quote:

And by the way thats not the sound we are talking about, its another when we are moving around objects
      05-25-2015, 07:25 AM   #28
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpriya View Post
Can anyone with M sport brakes that have the plain rotors comment on this noise? Do you guys have this ticking noise?

Also has anyone with M Perf brakes replaced the rotors with plain ones to see if this noise disappears?
M-Sport Brakes from the factory (no slots or cross-drilling) and NO NOISE that I've noticed.

Last edited by G30 B58; 06-12-2015 at 05:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 01:01 AM   #29
Musashi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i XDrive Laguna Seca

Had it resolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpriya View Post

Mileage: 28,000 kms. Had it starting January around 22,000kms. a very cold winter. -40C or lower for WEEKS. Then squeezing when leaving mornings. Tics and tic sounds on the right side.

The cold was brutal on braking- could never properly brake or warm them in -30F/-40C for weeks.

Squeal went away redoing twice 10 burnishing cycles. The results in the pics- blue grey metal.

The metal 'tic tic tic tic tic tic tictic' still there on the right side. Intermittent. Took it in at the BMW service and they did a full braking. I authorized them after they told me finding all the pads clogged with dust. it must have baked over the wet winter roads, salts and contaminants. Although my summer braking was slowly eliminating the faint ticking, once the servicing and lubricating was done two things happened:

- All ticking and mini squeals gone
- The braking power of the clean pads with the burnished rotors is the best superlative M Performance I knew. I barely touch the brakes and the ABS almost wants to kick in. I thought having good braking before, but now I am fully experiencing it.

The solution was more aggressive braking in winter. But since driving my car twice a week only, 400 kms in two trips little to no braking, and since it was so cold for braking, normal conditions contributed to this.

The solution would have been to find isolated dry roads in winter and do aggressive snappy braking to dust the pads. But even then at -40C for weeks any aggressive braking can be hazardous. The bottom line is: M Performance are hot pads, and they require snappy aggressive cycling to stay at optimum performance, both pads and rotors.

Seen recently a gent complaining of poor braking on his M Sport rotors. He had grooved his terribly with poor braking, and nasty rusting rings all around. 8 months car, 2000$ in repairs due to gentle braking and rotor damage.

Cost: 2 hr (discounted from 4) - $248.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 06:20 AM   #30
changshuzeiss
Rep
Drives: 2014 f30 328i

someone around me has changed the dixcel rotors and pads to solve the problem,which costs a lot .can even purchase a stoptech bbk
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 09:28 AM   #31
_bdiddyb_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

I used to have the m-sport brakes and noticed the clunking noise only initially going the opposite direction. No ticking noise, but they squeak like a freight train when cold. Then last week I installed these puppies, no more noise!

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 09:40 AM   #32
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

I am considering to install AP Racing brakes with J hook rotors (not cross drilled) instead of M Performance brakes for all the reasons mentioned above. 6 piston calipers in the front, 4 piston calipers in the rear.

Did anyone install AP Racing brakes? Feedback?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 09:44 AM   #33
_bdiddyb_
Lieutenant
Rep

@cfm56d7b, you in the OC -- did you not go to Bimmerfest? There were a couple of F30's and F32's wearing J hook rotors. They looked badass.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 08:22 PM   #34
nickgeorge25
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport Coupe

Just got my M Performance brakes installed, and I also have the sound coming from all 4 corners. It's weird but I kinda like the audible feedback from braking.

However, on hard corners (not braking), there's a slight scraping noise coming from the front brakes. It almost sounds as if the back shield is rubbing on the rotor. On hard rights, it comes from the left side, and vice versa. Has anyone else experienced this?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 10:49 PM   #35
_bdiddyb_
Lieutenant
Rep

Should be simple to troubleshoot nickgeorge25. Jack up the front, turn the steering all the way left/right and spin the wheel while checking for noise. I hope they, our you, bed in the rotors and pads properly.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 07:09 PM   #36
nickgeorge25
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by _bdiddyb_ View Post
Should be simple to troubleshoot nickgeorge25. Jack up the front, turn the steering all the way left/right and spin the wheel while checking for noise. I hope they, our you, bed in the rotors and pads properly.
I only hear the noise during very hard cornering, so I can't replicate it under normal driving, and almost certainly wouldn't be able to replicate it off the ground. It doesn't sound catastrophic, and I'm almost positive it's the metal shield rubbing something under flex, but I might get it checked out anyways. BMW installed the kit and said they bed the brakes before I picked it up, so I hope they did it properly. Also, my iDrive still says to service the brakes, so I need to get that sorted too.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 06:10 AM   #37
alivargonen
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hello,

We have a similar problem with my friends 320, I have uploaded some videos to YouTube to make it easy to understand.

I would be grateful if you can watch and share what you think can cause this annoying sound while braking?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 12:16 AM   #38
_bdiddyb_
Lieutenant
Rep

Sounds like my old m-sport brakes when they were "cold"; but after several miles, they didn't make the squealing noise anymore. Semi-metallic pads. Take it to the dealer and they will clean and file down the pads for you to minimize the noise. Some members from this forum actually had the noise came back.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 09:39 AM   #39
alivargonen
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Sounds like my old m-sport brakes when they were "cold"; but after several miles, they didn't make the squealing noise anymore. Semi-metallic pads. Take it to the dealer and they will clean and file down the pads for you to minimize the noise. Some members from this forum actually had the noise came back.

Thanks for your reply, I talked with my friend and they changed and tried 3 different pads and also he tested the brakes and pads for more than 400km's but the noise did not go
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 06:31 AM   #40
Musashi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i XDrive Laguna Seca

Mine came back

Quote:
Not even a weekend after, it varies in intensity, but on a rainy day it was a high pitch high frequency squeal that ran gmy right ear one hour after. Squal Squal Squeeal and it DOES REACT with braking. I suspect a braking sensor maybe? Once the engine is turned ont he car does a few things to the suspension and brakes- and especially when raining.

Nonetheles, the braking service solved nothing but clean the pads.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 03:25 PM   #41
Gio72
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

I've just installed drilled/slotted M Performance rotors replacing my same dimension M sport plain rotors and I experienced the same ticking noise while driving without braking!
Nice to realize it's normal
Anyway, I'm not happy with brake pedal response: too soft and not reactive. I know it's possible to modify it by coding and that what I'll ask to my dealer
      03-25-2016, 07:17 PM   #42
yoandry
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX & X5 M50i

I know this is old but, I just realize this noise also and took it to the dealer before doing the research and yes, noise are coming from the rotors as everyone said. Is kinf off driving me nuts as I like to drive with the windows down to hear my MPE. I guess I will look for another rotor alternative down the line when is time to change them.
      03-30-2016, 07:23 PM   #43
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoandry View Post
I know this is old but, I just realize this noise also and took it to the dealer before doing the research and yes, noise are coming from the rotors as everyone said. Is kinf off driving me nuts as I like to drive with the windows down to hear my MPE. I guess I will look for another rotor alternative down the line when is time to change them.
Factory. Don't go with the slotted and dimpled rotors.
The factory rotors with the flat face don't make the noise.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 09:32 AM   #44
yoandry
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX & X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz View Post
Factory. Don't go with the slotted and dimpled rotors.
The factory rotors with the flat face don't make the noise.
Which are the factory rotors with the flat face? You mean non dimpled/slotted? That's the beauty of the rotors. I know if I use plain one won't make the noise. I spend $$$$ for the kit to get plain rotors now. Which ones are you using?
I will buy I guess different dimpled ones when these ones get wasted.