F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Alignment Comparisons
Extreme Powerhouse

12-02-2020, 10:19 AM   #1
cross90
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31, 330d M-Sport

Alignment Comparisons

So I took my F31 330d for Alignment today, having recently installed my Bilstein B12 kit.

The shop I took it to stated that couldn't achieve the required camber in the rears and I would need aftermarket adjustable arms, not something I've seen mentioned before when reading threads regarding the pro kit and didn't expect it as the drop isnt that much. Anyone know if this is the norm ?

Other than this all seemed fine, until I got home and dug out an old alignment sheet from the last time I had the tracking done. The toe both front and rear looks to be much greater on this alignment.

I called the shop and querie'd it and they are confident that they selected the correct specs for my vehicle.

The two alignments are attached, the toe is minimal on the old sheet and 1 degree + on the new sheet. Can anyone shed some light on this, which is correct ?

Thanks in advance.

Old Alignment Below
https://ibb.co/h1mv21j

New Alignment Below
https://ibb.co/ZxZSxv2
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 12:14 PM   #2
TheFanatic
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

There is really no reason why toe cant be the same as what it was on the old alignment, camber on the other hand changes when you go lower, that isn't adjustable on these cars like it used to be. There is a thread that talks about camber adjustable bushings if you didn't want to go with plates.

Based off of what their sheet says your toe is within spec of where it says it should be. Doesn't mean they are where they should be. When I worked in the diesel industry we always set toe to as close to zero as possible. I would assume it would be the same in your case as well. Someone with more knowledge on what our alignment number should be could provide more insight
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 02:41 PM   #3
cross90
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for your reply, yes I can't seem to get a straight answer as to why they have set the toe at 1 degree as opposed to the OEM spec of 0.07ish.

I honestly hate needing to get my car aligned its a horrid experience and a right hassle everytime I've ever tried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFanatic View Post
There is really no reason why toe cant be the same as what it was on the old alignment, camber on the other hand changes when you go lower, that isn't adjustable on these cars like it used to be. There is a thread that talks about camber adjustable bushings if you didn't want to go with plates.

Based off of what their sheet says your toe is within spec of where it says it should be. Doesn't mean they are where they should be. When I worked in the diesel industry we always set toe to as close to zero as possible. I would assume it would be the same in your case as well. Someone with more knowledge on what our alignment number should be could provide more insight
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 05:39 PM   #4
cross90
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

I think I may have worked out my own issue, the toe angle on the new alignment print out is being expressed in millimetres rather than degrees ?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 07:56 AM   #5
TheFanatic
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross90 View Post
I think I may have worked out my own issue, the toe angle on the new alignment print out is being expressed in millimetres rather than degrees ?
That would be the only shop I have ever seen or worked at that measured it that way, I'm going to assume that is not the case.

I wish my current job had an alignment machine cause I hate paying people to do it when it's a hassle every time for me as well. maybe go to your local dealer and just have them do an alignment check on your car, its usually cheap (or sometimes free if they get to do the alignment) and get the printout from them. If the dealer says it's off you have a case to go back to the other place and have them do it right
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 08:07 AM   #6
SuperLomi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 336i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross90 View Post
I think you’re on the right track here. The units of that measure are definitely not degrees - but unfortunately also not indicated.

Honestly the best answer would be to ask the shop what unit their equipment uses for toe. If they can’t tell you I probably wouldn’t go back there for an alignment again. It would indicate they may just “do what the machine tells them to do” and don't really understand it.

You could also try calling the alignment equipment manufacturer: https://www.supertracker.com/ and seeing if they can help you understand the printout.
Appreciate 0