F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Alternatives to Bimmertech Rear View Camera
Extreme Powerhouse

01-18-2021, 07:07 PM   #1
Jnursey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i

Alternatives to Bimmertech Rear View Camera

Are there any cheaper alternatives to the Bimmertech aftermarket MMI rear view camera?

I remember reading a couple years ago about one that was $300 that was fairly identical but I cant seem to find it.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 09:09 PM   #2
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
You can find many on eBay.

01-18-2021, 09:25 PM   #3
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnursey View Post
Are there any cheaper alternatives to the Bimmertech aftermarket MMI rear view camera?

I remember reading a couple years ago about one that was $300 that was fairly identical but I cant seem to find it.
Look on amazon. I paid $50 for mine (f48) & integrated perfectly with the andream mmi.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GXPD56R...UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 1
Jnursey50.00
      01-19-2021, 07:20 AM   #4
Jnursey
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homersbud View Post
Look on amazon. I paid $50 for mine (f48) & integrated perfectly with the andream mmi.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GXPD56R...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks for this. What is the andream MMI?

For the bimmertech option it is my understanding that it is just plug and play ( no coding), is that the same for this option?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 08:53 AM   #5
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GXPD56R...UTF8&psc=1
Thanks for this. What is the andream MMI?

For the bimmertech option it is my understanding that it is just plug and play ( no coding), is that the same for this option?
The andream mmi is the same as the bimmerteach mmi (carplay/aa) - just at the 1/3rd of the cost.

I went this route mainly because my f48 didn't come with a rear camera. I was close to spending the money on bimmertech and came across this which solved my rear camera problem and as an added bonus, gave me carplay along with waze!

No coding required. Just plug-n-play. Camera looks OEM - can't even tell it's aftermarket.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25544310
Appreciate 1
Jnursey50.00
      01-19-2021, 09:28 AM   #6
Jnursey
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The andream mmi is the same as the bimmerteach mmi (carplay/aa) - just at the 1/3rd of the cost.

I went this route mainly because my f48 didn't come with a rear camera. I was close to spending the money on bimmertech and came across this which solved my rear camera problem and as an added bonus, gave me carplay along with waze!

No coding required. Just plug-n-play. Camera looks OEM - can't even tell it's aftermarket.

Thank you once again, go figure I am actually looking to install this on an F48 as well, just wanted to post in here because I figured it would get more traffic.

So just to clarify, what I need to purchase is the andream MMI console AND the rear view camera you sent from Amazon? Any other wiring harnesses etc?

Also just FYI I do NOT have PDC sensors on my car. Not sure if that makes any difference when choosing or installing this hardware.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 12:21 PM   #7
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you once again, go figure I am actually looking to install this on an F48 as well, just wanted to post in here because I figured it would get more traffic.

So just to clarify, what I need to purchase is the andream MMI console AND the rear view camera you sent from Amazon? Any other wiring harnesses etc?

Also just FYI I do NOT have PDC sensors on my car. Not sure if that makes any difference when choosing or installing this hardware.
Yup - all you need is the mmi & rear camera. No need to worry about the sensors, my 2016 f48 doesn't have those, either.

I tapped into the 12v wire coming from the mmi to power the rear camera using the red wire coming off the rca cable (included with the camera).

I'd also recommend grabbing a set of trim tools (if you don't already have one) to make the installation easier. The hardest part is there was literally no play with the wires from the HU, so pulling it completely out wasn't happening. Removing the glovebox provided more access which made it a bit easier to get the quad lock connected.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V22YC9J..._LeYbGbJBTRNBF
Appreciate 1
Jnursey50.00
      01-19-2021, 12:31 PM   #8
Jnursey
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yup - all you need is the mmi & rear camera. No need to worry about the sensors, my 2016 f48 doesn't have those, either.

I tapped into the 12v wire coming from the mmi to power the rear camera using the red wire coming off the rca cable (included with the camera).

I'd also recommend grabbing a set of trim tools (if you don't already have one) to make the installation easier. The hardest part is there was literally no play with the wires from the HU, so pulling it completely out wasn't happening. Removing the glovebox provided more access which made it a bit easier to get the quad lock connected.

Awesome. I do indeed already have trim tools

Last couple questions:

Where did you get your andream MMI? Is there a specific one I need to look for? That thread you listed that discusses it is pretty convoluted. Figured it'd be easier to ask you who has had success with this already on the same car.

There are 3 options for the rear view camera in the Amazon link you mentioned, the $65 includes a "trunk switch". Seems like that is the one I would want to keep the capability of the handle being able to open the trunk or maybe im mistaken?

Lastly, is there any particular instructions (DIY) you followed that helped your install? Should I just mimic the Bimmertech DIY video for the most part?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 03:31 PM   #9
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Awesome. I do indeed already have trim tools

Last couple questions:

Where did you get your andream MMI? Is there a specific one I need to look for? That thread you listed that discusses it is pretty convoluted. Figured it'd be easier to ask you who has had success with this already on the same car.

There are 3 options for the rear view camera in the Amazon link you mentioned, the $65 includes a "trunk switch". Seems like that is the one I would want to keep the capability of the handle being able to open the trunk or maybe im mistaken?

Lastly, is there any particular instructions (DIY) you followed that helped your install? Should I just mimic the Bimmertech DIY video for the most part?
I got my mmi from here https://www.android-car-dvd.com/prod...fc3b&_ss=r - comes from China, so it'll take a bit to ship.

Get the $55 camera as the trunk release is just a part that is clipped onto the current trunk release handle - you'll just pop that off & onto the new rear camera housing handle and it'll be OEM.

I used bimmertech x3 rear camera install and some random videos for the mmi but the bimmertech video is basically all you need.

Ps: running the cable for the rear camera, you don't need to pull up much trim at all like they do in the x3 install video. Just lift some trim, wedge cable, and move on.
Appreciate 0