F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Eibach Pro-kit and 435i with Adaptive - how's it look? how's it ride?
proTUNING Freaks

05-12-2019, 09:13 PM   #1
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

Eibach Pro-kit and 435i with Adaptive - how's it look? how's it ride?

Gentlemen:

[ UPDATE 59k miles ]
After driving a few months with this set-up. I began to notice the rear of my car was about 3/4" higher in the back (4-series) than then 3-series with the same kit. This is known as rake. After scoring a gift certificate from TireRack, I decided to try and lower just the REAR of the car using the Sportline kit which drops the rear of the car another .4". I like the rear end being lower and it's moved the center of gravity more to the middle/back than before. So I now have a mix of the Prokit up front (.8" drop) and the Sportline in the rear (.8" drop). The only consideration with this set-up is that the Pro-kit uses a linear spring rate and the Sportline a progressive one. An Eibach rep told me this isn't a life threatening situation and the car will drive fine.)

Thread on the update is here...
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1644558

---------

At 55k miles, I figure I'd had enough of the stock ride height and comfort-mode "float" of my 2015 435i with M Sport Adaptive Suspension. I've had Eibach Pro-kits on my old Miata and e36 M3 so I was already familiar with the quality of Eibach products.

Fellow forum member Farkle had a like-new set for sale and I pulled the trigger. The install went fine. One note though, this is an EASY one hour a corner job (4 hours). There's A LOT more things to unbolt and unplug. So if you are considering doing this job yourself, you WILL need a few tools and a laptop to reset the adaptive suspension. So don't complain if your favorite shop doesn't quote you a "deal." It is a time-consuming project.

And per Drew - get the E39/E60 "dinan" bump stops so you maintain a decent amount of spring travel before engaging them. I ran with them on my car when I had the adaptive suspension and they worked well. The PNs are 31331138814 and 33536762722. These bump stops are about 1" shorter than the stock ones so will let the suspension move a bit before they... well bump!

As a caveat, my driving environment/style is all street, short commute, aggressive on-ramp. Some track experience (1000+ miles) with the local BMW CCA and Hooked on Driving and Miata Club.

OK SO WHAT TO EXPECT:

1. Ride Height - The Pro-Kit drops the stock M sport package by another .5" from stock. The front more so than the rear. About 1 finger height up front and back from stock. See photos. (If you have the M Sport Adaptive suspension, Eibach says .8" up front and .4" in the rear.)

2. Ride Quality - In comfort mode, you definitely feel the suspension is stiffer. Given I've had street lowered cars - Miata, E36 M3, BRZ... it's actually not as stiff. I say from stock, it's the middle of Comfort and Sport. So for me, this is great.

3. Sport Mode - YEAH, When I am in sport mode, I expect flat cornering, no lean. Stock sport mode was pretty decent, but with the new springs... I'd say it's a *feel* shift of +10% to +15%. So it's *enhanced* if I can describe it that way.

4. Observations - you know with stock comfort mode, the steering wheel turns pretty freely. Almost like an over-boosted front wheel drive car. The steering feel has a little more resistance. Not as dramatic as Sport mode but like the ride quality, almost in the middle of easy and resistant. This was an unexpected plus too.

I'll check back in, in 20k miles about how the stock shocks are holding up.
A number of people have warned about the stock shocks blowing out... but Eibach claims these springs are conservative enough in lowering that they are OK for stock shocks. We will see.

Car with the Prokit front and Sportline rear. Drop is an even .8" front and back.

Last edited by exE36M3; 02-12-2020 at 10:44 AM..
Appreciate 3
andino479.50
FaRKle!3996.00
      05-13-2019, 10:07 AM   #2
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport Estoril Blue

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Great write up, thank you! I'm planning on doing this as well and this gives me a good idea of what to expect.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 10:27 AM   #3
andino
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 328i xdrive

Hopefully it will get even better after an alignment. Car's looking good though! Did you end up getting a carwash after you left Farkies?
      05-13-2019, 10:36 AM   #4
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
Hopefully it will get even better after an alignment. Car's looking good though! Did you end up getting a carwash after you left Farkies?
Ha ha ha, not yet. Great hanging out with you guys Saturday!
Alignment wasn't too bad. Car still tracked straight.

I ended up getting my wife's car washed for Mother's day. I may hold out another week as we've got rain coming Wed. and Sunday! :P
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 10:50 AM   #5
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eschmacher View Post
Great write up, thank you! I'm planning on doing this as well and this gives me a good idea of what to expect.
Glad this was helpful. It's a nice subtle upgrade I think to the 435i.
I added some more content around upgraded bumpstops. These give you another inch of travel before they bump.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 12:36 PM   #6
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by percychow View Post
4. Observations - you know with stock comfort mode, the steering wheel turns pretty freely. Almost like an over-boosted front wheel drive car. The steering feel has a little more resistance. Not as dramatic as Sport mode but like the ride quality, almost in the middle of easy and resistant. This was an unexpected plus too.

I'll check back in, in 20k miles about how the stock shocks are holding up.
A number of people have warned about the stock shocks blowing out... but Eibach claims these springs are conservative enough in lowering that they are OK for stock shocks. We will see.
Great write-up, and thanks for the kind words!

Regarding the steering effort this could be due to two things I'm thinking. The first is that since you're a bit lower, you probably have a bit more negative camber. In my quest for more negative camber I found that as you go more negative the caster increases too, and that definitely affects steering weight. I'd be surprised if your negative camber increased by very much though (maybe 0.2deg?). The second thing is that the toe may have increased inward some since the negative camber increased.

I'm confident your OE adaptive shocks will handle these Eibach springs just fine. Those shocks have a very wide range they can operate in. I ran similar with my adaptive shocks for many miles and track days.

Additionally the spring rates of this kit aren't too much higher than your stock springs, for example, the front spring rate of the Eibach is 165lbs/in, and your stock spring (which is the same as the stock spring I had) is 157lbs/in. At the wheel that translates to 152lbs/in with the Eibach and 145lbs/in with the OE spring, only 4.8% stiffer.

Sometimes people can get into an underdamped condition if they only put springs on base suspension dampers. For example, for my F31, the adaptive M suspension front springs are the same 157lbs/in as yours, but the base suspension front springs are only 129lbs/in. At the wheel this translates to 145lbs/in (adaptive) and 119lbs/in (base), a difference of 22% stiffer vs the base suspension, and outside the typical range a damper is tuned for.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 05:27 AM   #7
.BMW.
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW F11/F31

Very nice!

The front looks lower than the rear in last photo. Might be due to uneven ground.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 09:35 AM   #8
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by .BMW. View Post
Very nice!

The front looks lower than the rear in last photo. Might be due to uneven ground.
Actually, it's literally .5" higher in the back. Was like that even stock. Best guess, BMW accounting for luggage, fuel, passengers?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 07:28 PM   #9
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Slightly related, anyone know the spring rates for the acs springs? Trying to pick between eibach and acs.
Interior: Bavsound stage 1 and subs - custom trunk sub by Mike1327
Appreciate 1
rcaso26331.00
      05-14-2019, 08:50 PM   #10
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eschmacher View Post
Slightly related, anyone know the spring rates for the acs springs? Trying to pick between eibach and acs.
You can use the links in my sig to find out which Eibach spring ACS is using for their PN and then look up the rate in the Eibach document drawings.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 09:12 AM   #11
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
You can use the links in my sig to find out which Eibach spring ACS is using for their PN and then look up the rate in the Eibach document drawings.
Thanks, I keep forgetting I don't see signatures on mobile.
Interior: Bavsound stage 1 and subs - custom trunk sub by Mike1327
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 10:39 AM   #12
oregondonor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i

Garage List
Thanks for the post. I've been wanting to close the wheel gap on my 2016 ZHP but wanting the max drop without sacrificing adjustability of the adaptive suspension.

Looking at images it seems Eibach is the way to go but not sure still?

Why do you need to reset the suspension after installing?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 12:19 PM   #13
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregondonor View Post

Why do you need to reset the suspension after installing?
ISTA says to re-calibrate/zero the ride height for the adaptive suspension/ICM after changing the height. It likely changes how the damping curve is modulated with respect to damper position and acceleration.

Appreciate 2
      05-19-2019, 04:06 PM   #14
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

I got AC Schnitzer springs and Dinan Shockware on my 340i and the combination it's amazing.

Looks great too.
Attached Images

BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 2
scostu1619.50
exE36M3486.00
      05-20-2019, 07:56 AM   #15
Kefka
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325i, 135i, 335i e93/92 , Z4 3

I also running on eibach pro kit with OEM shocks/struts
(I could not install bilstein hd b6)

Ride height is perfect for daily driving and feels better ( more stiffer) - No rubbing.

437m
235/40/19
275/35/19

Last edited by Kefka; 05-26-2020 at 08:38 PM..
Appreciate 2
      05-23-2019, 12:02 PM   #16
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefka View Post

Ride height is perfect for daily driving and feels better ( more stiffer) - No rubbing.

437m
235/40/19
275/35/19
DUDE, LOVE THE COLOR on your car. And the 19s... was seriously look at those wheels too!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 12:40 PM   #17
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefka View Post

437m
235/40/19
275/35/19
Do you feel more understeer than stock?
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 01:06 PM   #18
Kefka
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325i, 135i, 335i e93/92 , Z4 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by goj View Post
Do you feel more understeer than stock?
mm honestly nop,

more precise turns and car feels better planted to the ground, yes, if you are into sport/sport+ mode.

I will complement these springs with Bilstein B6 (HD) shocks...for a full suspension upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 06:33 PM   #19
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep

And minor "warning" guys. So I took my car into East Bay BMW about 2 weeks after this install for an existing "collision warning system malfunction" and dead GPS. I have the adaptive cruise control on my 435i. The BMW techs scanned it and it came back as a "mis-alignment" issue. I have the Carmax extended warranty on the car.

And guess what?... the dead GPS requires replacing the entire iDrive system. $4k. Woo. BUT... Carmax/Maxcare REFUSED to repair the ACC/Collision Malfunction (it's just a software and alignment procedure, 4 hours of labor)... because the car... is lower.

Although I provided evidence of my car having this issue as early as October of 2018 (I gave them my forums posts in fact!) and photos of my car in October not lowered, AND THE BMW techs saying lowering does not affect the ACC... the extended warranty people don't want to pay it.

Just a caveat team. The East Bay BMW techs really went to bat for me. Just stupidly weird that the word of a factory tech is tossed aside by the mood of the warranty adjuster. We even pulled my 20+ year BMW CCA card and hey guys, I'm 49yo! This isn't a blown engine. It's cruise control. :\
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 12:05 PM   #20
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
And minor "warning" guys. So I took my car into East Bay BMW about 2 weeks after this install for an existing "collision warning system malfunction" and dead GPS. I have the adaptive cruise control on my 435i. The BMW techs scanned it and it came back as a "mis-alignment" issue. I have the Carmax extended warranty on the car.

And guess what?... the dead GPS requires replacing the entire iDrive system. $4k. Woo. BUT... Carmax/Maxcare REFUSED to repair the ACC/Collision Malfunction (it's just a software and alignment procedure, 4 hours of labor)... because the car... is lower.

Although I provided evidence of my car having this issue as early as October of 2018 (I gave them my forums posts in fact!) and photos of my car in October not lowered, AND THE BMW techs saying lowering does not affect the ACC... the extended warranty people don't want to pay it.

Just a caveat team. The East Bay BMW techs really went to bat for me. Just stupidly weird that the word of a factory tech is tossed aside by the mood of the warranty adjuster. We even pulled my 20+ year BMW CCA card and hey guys, I'm 49yo! This isn't a blown engine. It's cruise control. :\
Wow, I've generally heard good things about maxcare. Sorry to hear they're being unreasonably stingy. Do you know what alignment procedure has to be done for the ACC radar? Is it just physically aligning the emitter and and telling the car to calibrate via ISTA? If so, we can try to knock that out some weekend.

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 01:26 PM   #21
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep

Thanks Farkle! I found a few forum members with similar issues (some as low as 7k miles, stock, and just driving to work). I *really* don't think it's an alignment issue because the unit looks like it's solid state AND it requires a software based alignment. I'm going to attempt to clean the sensor surface (not the front plastic part) and see what happens from there.

But we can experiment sometime if you like. The procedure is documented on Youtube to some extent.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 12:38 PM   #22
G80S58
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 Xdrive, X3 M40i LCI

Quote:
Thanks Farkle! I found a few forum members with similar issues (some as low as 7k miles, stock, and just driving to work). I *really* don't think it's an alignment issue because the unit looks like it's solid state AND it requires a software based alignment. I'm going to attempt to clean the sensor surface (not the front plastic part) and see what happens from there.

But we can experiment sometime if you like. The procedure is documented on Youtube to some extent.
Hey OP, has the springs settle more? Can you give us an updated pic?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0