F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > F30 N55 PWG 700WHP Project
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-10-2021, 02:12 PM   #67
mashpotato
Private
27
Rep
77
Posts

Drives: '11 F10 N55
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

yea, my bad. I mean engine adaptations, not transmission. Your tranny quick charge pressure looks pretty good.

The gauges snapshot. Is it on idle? Isn't your rail pressure super low? My rail pressure is 700psi at idle (sensor after hpfp).

I agree at this point you need ISTA to show everything, even though MHD got most of it. There is a lot of info on the forum about the codes, to me you have 3 routes to take care of.

- LPFP, HPFP pressure (that HPFP position error, don't know what it is)
- coolant temp sensor, thermostat clamped open (defective part?); pump and bleeding is good?
- MAP, MAF sensors, vacuum tubes leak? is your PCV (valve cover) good?

The unsuccessful start I don't know. I'm hoping you fix these issues will help with the start/idle.

Last edited by mashpotato; 05-10-2021 at 02:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 11:54 AM   #68
bimmerace
Private First Class
33
Rep
166
Posts

Drives: F30 335i xDrive M-Sport
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: East

iTrader: (0)

Thank you guys for your help! I got a response from the shop and they fixed several of these, the car is out of limp mode now. It seems like the HPFP was not engaged with the camshaft. It still has a problem with the thermostat getting stuck in the open position. He'll take care of it next time I bring it in. As for now, do you guys know what I need to refresh the suspension? It has the Adaptive M, and it rides like shit, and a strut is leaking, so I'd like to replace the whole thing as nothing has been replaced and it's sitting at 135k. I'd like to use OE and not lower the car.

Car feels pretty good at the moment, except for the Thermostat that causes the Fan to go 100% and the Oil Temp to not move? And a new Transmission code:/
Attached Images
   
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 12:12 PM   #69
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
229
Rep
699
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport Estoril Blue
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Sterling, VA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerace View Post
Thank you guys for your help! I got a response from the shop and they fixed several of these, the car is out of limp mode now. It seems like the HPFP was not engaged with the camshaft. It still has a problem with the thermostat getting stuck in the open position. He'll take care of it next time I bring it in. As for now, do you guys know what I need to refresh the suspension? It has the Adaptive M, and it rides like shit, and a strut is leaking, so I'd like to replace the whole thing as nothing has been replaced and it's sitting at 135k. I'd like to use OE and not lower the car.

Car feels pretty good at the moment, except for the Thermostat that causes the Fan to go 100% and the Oil Temp to not move? And a new Transmission code:/
If you want to keep the adaptive suspension, bilstein makes plug and play shocks/struts in both stock (B4) and sportier (B6) versions. I have the B6 with H&R prokit springs, I really like the ride compared to the stock adaptive.
Bilstein also makes plug and play B16 coilovers now, and KW has had a plug and play coilover set for a bit, but I have read that the KWs are significantly firmer.

There's also the option of going to normal coilovers without adaptive features and coding out the adaptive function or buying the expensive EDC delete kits.
__________________
Power mods: VRSF CP/IC/Catted DP - AFE Cat-back - BM3 S2 93 - XHP S2
Handling mods: B6 damptronic - Eibach prokit - M Performance LSD - M3 brakes - EBC yellow
Exterior: Euro LCI tail lights - Shitty ECS CF spoiler - Chinese M performance diffuser
Interior: Bavsound stage 1 and subs - custom trunk sub by Mike1327
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 01:53 PM   #70
thejeremyman9
Brigadier General
thejeremyman9's Avatar
2314
Rep
4,560
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW 335i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Cali

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerace View Post
Thank you guys for your help! I got a response from the shop and they fixed several of these, the car is out of limp mode now. It seems like the HPFP was not engaged with the camshaft. It still has a problem with the thermostat getting stuck in the open position. He'll take care of it next time I bring it in. As for now, do you guys know what I need to refresh the suspension? It has the Adaptive M, and it rides like shit, and a strut is leaking, so I'd like to replace the whole thing as nothing has been replaced and it's sitting at 135k. I'd like to use OE and not lower the car.

Car feels pretty good at the moment, except for the Thermostat that causes the Fan to go 100% and the Oil Temp to not move? And a new Transmission code:/
The oil temp doesnt move because the car is running so cold, it probably never gets over 160F. You can monitor your coolant temp to confirm, but with the thermostat fully open and fan on 100% i'm sure its low. The transmission code may be related, if that is also keeping trans temps low.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 02:43 PM   #71
bimmerace
Private First Class
33
Rep
166
Posts

Drives: F30 335i xDrive M-Sport
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: East

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eschmacher View Post
If you want to keep the adaptive suspension, bilstein makes plug and play shocks/struts in both stock (B4) and sportier (B6) versions. I have the B6 with H&R prokit springs, I really like the ride compared to the stock adaptive.
Bilstein also makes plug and play B16 coilovers now, and KW has had a plug and play coilover set for a bit, but I have read that the KWs are significantly firmer.

There's also the option of going to normal coilovers without adaptive features and coding out the adaptive function or buying the expensive EDC delete kits.
I'd like to keep the adaptive functionality, and a good balance between comfort and sportiness, as I do drive the car 60 miles every day. Wouldn't the Bilstein lower the car though?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 02:45 PM   #72
bimmerace
Private First Class
33
Rep
166
Posts

Drives: F30 335i xDrive M-Sport
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: East

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
The oil temp doesnt move because the car is running so cold, it probably never gets over 160F. You can monitor your coolant temp to confirm, but with the thermostat fully open and fan on 100% i'm sure its low. The transmission code may be related, if that is also keeping trans temps low.
Ok cool, I'll get the oil/coolant temps when it happens again, what's a good difference of temp between the 2?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 07:04 PM   #73
thejeremyman9
Brigadier General
thejeremyman9's Avatar
2314
Rep
4,560
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW 335i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Cali

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerace View Post
Ok cool, I'll get the oil/coolant temps when it happens again, what's a good difference of temp between the 2?
Coolant temp varies between around 190-235 depending on how you are driving and ambient temps. Oil is at ~245F under normal conditions.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 08:53 PM   #74
435gc
First Lieutenant
435gc's Avatar
129
Rep
363
Posts

Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe xdrive
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Charlotte

iTrader: (0)

The bilstein b4 damptronic dampers are meant as a direct replacement for stock. There will be no lowering. Bilstein bills them as oe+. The b6's are going to be an even stiffer/sportier option.

With coil-overs there will be a mild drop even at the highest setting.

Your options if wanting to maintain edc capabilities are:

Just dampers: bilstein b4 damptronic, bilstein b6 damptronic.

Coilovers: bilstein b16 damptronic. KW DDC.

If you go the b4 route please post your impressions. I also want to keep my edc and keep stock ride height. I also don't want a big increase is stiffness and harshness. I really want to hear if the b4 is much improved over stock adaptive.

Last edited by 435gc; 05-23-2021 at 08:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 09:03 PM   #75
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Logicoeur's Avatar
739
Rep
1,634
Posts

Drives: F30 335i xDrive
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

The dampers dont dictate the drop, the springs do. For oe replacement get the B4 and an OE type spring.
__________________
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback Circuitwerks Catted DP | 18X9 ET32 19lb TR-1 | 255/40/18 ECS | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 08:29 AM   #76
Polo08816
Brigadier General
1313
Rep
3,511
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfardan View Post
The stock LPFP was able to handle 600WHP on E50 without issue, but not sure how much further it can go as there are no LPFP sensor on N55. But I think at 650WHP you will need to upgrade the LPFP.

You only need the crank hub fix if you planning to push close to 700WHP in which you will also need fully built engine to do that safely. Furthermore the ZF8 gearbox also at the limit at 600WHP+ specially the 6th gear is weakest on the transmission. It will not be able to handle more than ~550WTQ on 6th gear anything more and it will slip.

I personally using Dorch Stage 2 HPFP ... super happy with it. No complain. It also work with Bootmod3/MHD without the need for a special tune. But Spool HPFP FX-180 is also a good option and flow more than the Dorch (1.465 vs 1.6) the disadvantage is that it cost more and need a custom tune in order for it to work.

The kit comes already with catless downpipe. If you want faster spool and more power then stick with the catless downpipe. If you have stock exhaust it's not that much louder than stock ... make sure to disable cold start and you are set.

For the Intercooler you can go with VRSF 6" or Evolution Racewerks.

While doing the turbo installation since you will need to drop sub-frame it's good idea to replace the oil pan gasket as preventive maintenance (Usually it's start to leak after 4+ years use).

My recommendation to take things slow to make sure everything is working properly before fully pushing it to 650WHP. Good luck.
Do you need to drop the front subframe to replace the turbo? I thought you could remove the right side engine mount and support arm to access the turbo.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 10:49 AM   #77
kfardan
Private
kfardan's Avatar
Bahrain
35
Rep
81
Posts

Drives: '14 BMW 335i
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: BH

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Do you need to drop the front subframe to replace the turbo? I thought you could remove the right side engine mount and support arm to access the turbo.
It's mentioned in the installation guide to drop the sub-frame, the turbo is big and a very tight fit not sure if it's possible to install it without dropping the subframe. Either way, I would recommend dropping the subframe it's much easier to install the kit that way.
Dropping the subframe is not as bad as people think.
__________________
'14 F30 335i N55 EWG - Speedtech Stage 3 EFR 8374 - BM3 Custom Tune - xHP Flash - BMS Meth kit - Dorch Stage 2 HPFP - ER FMIC & CP
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
650whp, 8hp45, e85, f30, fuel-it, n55, pwg, turbo, turbo kit, turbo upgrade

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:15 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST