F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > BimmerTech CarPlay MMI - Unboxing and Installation
Extreme Powerhouse

08-24-2018, 03:25 PM   #1
grahamrb
Private
Rep
Drives: F20 1-series m-sport 2016

BimmerTech CarPlay MMI - Unboxing and Installation

I ordered one of the BimmerTech CarPlay MMI boxes a couple of weeks ago and got around to installing it into my 1-series (F20) earlier today. My car is an early 2016 model so it has NBT EVO but isn't running idrive 5 and therefore doesn't come with CarPlay as an option. I took a load of photos and thought I would post them here along with a bit of a review.

Overall I was impressed with the quality of the BimmerTech kit. The device came in a nice box and was well packaged. I ordered the Trim Tool and that came in a nice branded cloth bag.

Installation was reasonably straightforward, the hardest bits were:
- Removing the vents on my car
- getting the main wiring harness plug to plug into the head unit (requires quite a bit of wiggling and it awkward)
- getting the head unit to fit back in with the box and wiring harness filling up the space behind it.

It took me about 40 minutes to install it and if I did it again it'd probably only take 20. The only issue I had is that it wasn't clear what to do for the mic and it didn't work first time. Depending on the vehicle I think there are two ways this needs to be wired, for mine I just needed to connect two cables together in the harness to pass the mic through.

Overall the box works great, the sound quality is better than when I was using bluetooth and the integration with the idrive controller is really good.

Couple of minor annoyances I've found so far:
- the forward and back buttons on the dash don't skip tracks forward and back in CarPlay
- When my reverse sensors activate it pulls the box out of CarPlay to display the reversing view but the reverts back to the idrive system instead of going back to CarPlay
- The steering wheel scroll roller thingy doesn't control the CarPlay interface, you have to use the main idrive controller
- display is not widescreen. I've got an 8.8" display and it'd be really nice if the whole screen was used for CarPlay

I took a load of photos of what comes in the box as well as the installation - not many photos of it actually working but it looks the same as any other CarPlay install (with the exception of the MMI menu which I've taken a couple of photos of). The MMI menu has been skimmed to look similar to the idrive menu but you can tell fairly quickly that it isn't the same, also it's quite sluggish (only the MMI menu - once you're in CarPlay it works great).

Enjoy the photos and yell out if you have any questions.

PS. I paid full price for this, no paid review or anything like that. Just figured there were a lot of questions and thought it might be helpful for others.

Unboxing: http://s1101.photobucket.com/user/gr...20MMI/Unboxing

Installing: http://s1101.photobucket.com/user/gr...?sort=3&page=1

Working: http://s1101.photobucket.com/user/gr...%20MMI/working

(full galleries above)
Attached Images

Last edited by grahamrb; 08-26-2018 at 03:26 PM..
Appreciate 10
      09-01-2018, 10:38 PM   #2
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY14 328xi - Sportline

Great work. Do you happen to take pictures how the USB cable ran through?

Is it using the original port in the center console compartment?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 02:26 PM   #3
grahamrb
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblues View Post

Sorry theblues, only just seen this. No, it's a separate USB port. I've just run it into the passenger footwell from the centre console and tuck it just behind the panel with a black iPhone cable plugged into it. There would be no issue with running the USB port through to the centre compartment but it'd be separate to the original USB port.

On a side note, BimmerTech have resolved the issue with the reversing sensor dropping the system out of CarPlay by providing me with a firmware update.

I also had an issue with people hearing me but that turned out to be my iPhone cable.
Appreciate 2
      09-05-2018, 06:03 PM   #4
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamrb View Post
Quote:

Sorry theblues, only just seen this. No, it's a separate USB port. I've just run it into the passenger footwell from the centre console and tuck it just behind the panel with a black iPhone cable plugged into it. There would be no issue with running the USB port through to the centre compartment but it'd be separate to the original USB port.

On a side note, BimmerTech have resolved the issue with the reversing sensor dropping the system out of CarPlay by providing me with a firmware update.

I also had an issue with people hearing me but that turned out to be my iPhone cable.
Does the CarPlay interface it really take up only about 2/3 of the screen?

09-06-2018, 08:19 AM   #5
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooshnoo View Post
Does the CarPlay interface it really take up only about 2/3 of the screen?
According to Bimmertech, it does. The solution I know of so far with a full screen is Unichip but the downside is a separate mic required.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 09:47 AM   #6
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Quote:
According to Bimmertech, it does. The solution I know of so far with a full screen is Unichip but the downside is a separate mic required.
Well that just sucks

09-09-2018, 03:58 AM   #7
mrsimes
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Not wanting to hijack the thread with Unichip info, but installing the mic on the Unichip is a doddle and doesn't need to be unsightly. Here's mine clipped above the rear view mirror and the tiny cable just runs across the top of the windscreen and down inside the pillar, unseen. The challenge for any unit is fitting the head unit back into its home with the new wiring loom at the back of it.

I'd say having a 2/3 screen would make this solution a complete non-starter for me. I hope they can fix that with a future firmware update.

Attached - Unichip mic, CarPlay home screen and Apple maps
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 05:40 AM   #8
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
We wanted CarPlay MMI to be as close to the BMW CarPlay as possible.
This is why we use the factory mic and 2/3 of the screen. Just like BMW does.
Appreciate 3
x-m4n148.00
Bestia64.50
      09-09-2018, 01:36 PM   #9
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys@BimmerTech View Post

I get that, however the requests and wishes from customers should take priority. If you can implement full screen I'd pay double the price tomorrow!

09-09-2018, 04:03 PM   #10
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I get that, however the requests and wishes from customers should take priority. If you can implement full screen I'd pay double the price tomorrow!
Not double the price, but I will buy your product, Bimmertech
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 04:43 PM   #11
mrsimes
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
You guys are nuts. Just buy the Unichip and run the mic!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 05:02 PM   #12
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
I agree. We do listen to our customers and that’s why we are working on new features. As soon as I can confirm something I’ll post it here.

And don’t worry, we won’t ask for more money
Appreciate 4
ooshnoo877.50
N26Ghost496.50
      09-09-2018, 05:16 PM   #13
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
I appreciate that.
I believe that doing business with us is much more than just getting industry leading products. We work hard every day to provide professional support and great customer service to every BMW owner
Appreciate 3
x-m4n148.00
Rebound152.50
      09-10-2018, 12:50 AM   #14
Phoenixcat
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d M-Sport F31

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I will also buy your product if you can sort out the full screen issue.
I have also heard rumours that unichip are working on a wireless version of CarPlay. Is this something you are also looking into?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 10:42 AM   #15
torqueflite
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i xDrive Conv. (F33)

Quote:
Understood here. However, BMW makes their CarPlay interface 2/3 because they allow the iDrive split-screen to be displayed in the other 1/3. Your implementation leaves it unused.

I'm all for the 2/3 screen if the other 1/3 could be used to display iDrive split-screen info, or even other CarPlay info (think Nav and Music info/cover art like iDrive). But if that's not possible, then a fullscreen implementation at least allows us to use the entire display.

UPDATE: Saw your post in the other thread on this product; appreciate your looking into suggestions from the user base!

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...6&postcount=77
Appreciate 1
X3power10.00
      09-10-2018, 09:31 PM   #16
X3power
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive28i 2015

Garage List
Quote:
I ordered one of the BimmerTech CarPlay MMI boxes a couple of weeks ago and got around to installing it into my 1-series (F20) earlier today. My car is an early 2016 model so it has NBT EVO but isn't running idrive 5 and therefore doesn't come with CarPlay as an option. I took a load of photos and thought I would post them here along with a bit of a review.

Overall I was impressed with the quality of the BimmerTech kit. The device came in a nice box and was well packaged. I ordered the Trim Tool and that came in a nice branded cloth bag.

Installation was reasonably straightforward, the hardest bits were:
- Removing the vents on my car
- getting the main wiring harness plug to plug into the head unit (requires quite a bit of wiggling and it awkward)
- getting the head unit to fit back in with the box and wiring harness filling up the space behind it.

It took me about 40 minutes to install it and if I did it again it'd probably only take 20. The only issue I had is that it wasn't clear what to do for the mic and it didn't work first time. Depending on the vehicle I think there are two ways this needs to be wired, for mine I just needed to connect two cables together in the harness to pass the mic through.

Overall the box works great, the sound quality is better than when I was using bluetooth and the integration with the idrive controller is really good.

Couple of minor annoyances I've found so far:
- the forward and back buttons on the dash don't skip tracks forward and back in CarPlay
- When my reverse sensors activate it pulls the box out of CarPlay to display the reversing view but the reverts back to the idrive system instead of going back to CarPlay
- The steering wheel scroll roller thingy doesn't control the CarPlay interface, you have to use the main idrive controller
- display is not widescreen. I've got an 8.8" display and it'd be really nice if the whole screen was used for CarPlay

I took a load of photos of what comes in the box as well as the installation - not many photos of it actually working but it looks the same as any other CarPlay install (with the exception of the MMI menu which I've taken a couple of photos of). The MMI menu has been skimmed to look similar to the idrive menu but you can tell fairly quickly that it isn't the same, also it's quite sluggish (only the MMI menu - once you're in CarPlay it works great).

Enjoy the photos and yell out if you have any questions.

PS. I paid full price for this, no paid review or anything like that. Just figured there were a lot of questions and thought it might be helpful for others.

Unboxing: http://s1101.photobucket.com/user/gr...20MMI/Unboxing

Installing: http://s1101.photobucket.com/user/gr...t=3&page=1

Working: http://s1101.photobucket.com/user/gr...%20MMI/working

(full galleries above)
Now that you have had it for longer, do you find it worth the cash?
Did you have navigation or headsup to begin with?

I have both on 2015x3 and wonder if it's worth it and if the tech is good with bimmertech

Thanks for the input
      09-10-2018, 11:14 PM   #17
grahamrb
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3power View Post
Now that you have had it for longer, do you find it worth the cash?
Did you have navigation or headsup to begin with?

I have both on 2015x3 and wonder if it's worth it and if the tech is good with bimmertech

Thanks for the input
Yes, definitely worth it. I drive a 2016 1-Series with the pro nav so I've got the 8.8" screen etc. With the CarPlay MMI I find I make use of Siri all the time for messaging, making calls, and it makes it much easier to work with music. The idrive system always used to. unpause my music at random times and wouldn't always play whereas it is rock solid through the CarPlay MMI. I'm looking forward to Waze being available on iOS 12 in CarPlay mode, Apple Maps still isn't good enough imho (I'm in the UK) but is still better than the idrive system.

The key thing that would make the biggest improvement would be to make use of the whole screen. Because the idrive nav takes the whole screen it feels like you have a better understanding of what you need to do next. If you don't have pro nav or always use split screen then you probably won't notice this.

Any specific questions just let me know.
Appreciate 3
x-m4n148.00
Bestia64.50
      09-11-2018, 06:50 PM   #18
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep

grahamrb I found this video on Youtube and it looks like it the steering wheel scroller works! Check out at minute 2

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 12:05 AM   #19
grahamrb
Private
Rep

That’s not the BimmerTech box. At least that suggests it’s possible. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for a firmware update.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 07:22 AM   #20
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
That’s not the BimmerTech box. At least that suggests it’s possible. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for a firmware update.
The next software update is scheduled for October.
If everything goes well, you will be happy with all the new features we are going to add
Appreciate 4
ooshnoo877.50
x-m4n148.00
dr.roro195.50
      09-13-2018, 09:05 AM   #21
viperguy212
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i

Quote:
If everything goes well, you will be happy with all the new features we are going to add
Glad to hear you guys are on top of it

How do firmware updates work for the unit? Does it require disassembly every time?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 10:22 AM   #22
grahamrb
Private
Rep

Quote:
Can’t wait for this!! Let me know if you want a beta tester.
Appreciate 0