F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > F30 Front Heated Seats Retrofit?
ARMA SPEED

11-11-2016, 11:15 PM   #1
Zap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Convertible (JZB)

F30 Front Heated Seats Retrofit?

I've seen a few posts, but haven't found the whole story.

Is a retrofit of front heated seats simple or a huge ordeal, and if so what would be involved? Do they build two separate sets of fully loaded seats (with and without heat pads)? Are all harnesses present or would additional wiring need to be run?

Car is a '14 335i x-Drive, has leather, sport power/memory seats. For some silly reason the previous owner deleted the standard option upon purchasing the car even though we have cold winters.

I'd have previously held out for a different car, but sadly this is becoming the new norm as 6MT cars become harder to find.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2016, 08:07 PM   #2
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Here is the parts catalog.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 02:50 PM   #3
TePee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F34 LCI MY2019

There is no harness and no heating element normally.

My brother has a F10 with electric/memory sport leather seats without seat heating as well.

Due to memory seats there was a big seat module ECU present which has power and CAN cables. Thus no additional wiring was needed in this case. We have retrofitted other seats with heating elements inside and then coded the relevant ECUs.

At your F30 I guess it will be quite the same... Not really cheap, except you try to retrofit just the heating elements in your seats.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 11:35 PM   #4
Zap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

TePee,

Thanks for the response. I was playing around the other day with ISTA and confirmed that there are no heating elements present in the seats (no response when triggered).

So basically the idea is that I'd need to purchase the assortment of heating elements, tear down the seats to install them, code/change VO, and replace the climate control panel to get the buttons.

How bad of a job is the seat teardown/reassembly?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 01:54 AM   #5
TePee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F34 LCI MY2019

Yes, we did exactly the same except that we had complete upholstery including heating elements. (the elements are stitched to the upholstery).

To tear down and reassemble the seat is not complicated if you know what to do, but it takes time.

By the way, do you have on both sides seat modules? In our case we had it only on the drivers side (el. + memory seat). The passengers seat was only electric without memory and had no module at all, thus no wiring (CAN bus) etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 12:30 PM   #6
Zap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Just curious if anyone else has given this a go. This year's bitterly cold winter without heated seats has royally sucked so far. I'm seriously considering undertaking this.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 01:25 PM   #7
spudvti
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TePee View Post
Yes, we did exactly the same except that we had complete upholstery including heating elements. (the elements are stitched to the upholstery).
the only way to know, if there those element - is to tear down seat trim?)))

my question is the same, as TS)))) I have F30 without heaters) NP19992
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 07:33 AM   #8
ricobrumsey
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' 435 GC

Bump

Anyone confirm how you can know if your car has the heated seats already stitched to the upholstery? Is a seat tear down the only way to know? I have a 16’ M Sport seats with memory
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 12:40 PM   #9
Crazy_1201
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 320d

Check wiring underneath seat. Heated seats have two wires one from backrest foam and one from base foam going to seat module underneath the seat.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2019, 02:29 PM   #10
Michael340i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring, Aston Martin

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricobrumsey View Post
Bump

Anyone confirm how you can know if your car has the heated seats already stitched to the upholstery? Is a seat tear down the only way to know? I have a 16’ M Sport seats with memory
If you don't have the heated seat buttons on the heater control, then you won't have the heater elements in the seat. The heater elements are glued onto the foam, but only in cars that have specified heated seats, the heater elements are around £450 to buy. The cheapest way to do this using BMW parts is to buy some used seats and install those.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 02:15 AM   #11
willwang
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael340i View Post
If you don't have the heated seat buttons on the heater control, then you won't have the heater elements in the seat. The heater elements are glued onto the foam, but only in cars that have specified heated seats, the heater elements are around £450 to buy. The cheapest way to do this using BMW parts is to buy some used seats and install those.
You are correct. It is heated seat if there is control switch or buttons, similar to this picture[IMG]C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\heated seat switch.jpg[/IMG].

But the price for heated seats kits are lower than £450 per seat, including all hardware, wire harness and control switch. That's will depends on the heating type, mainly carbon wire heating pads and thermoelectric heating device.

Please contact us for product details and installation picture or video. My email address is [email]willsir888@gmail.com
      05-24-2019, 03:47 AM   #12
willwang
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

here is the aftermarket car seat heating pads, mostly used with feature of easy installation and low cost.

One piece heating pad for seat cushion and one for backrest and all necessary wire harness will be provided.

The round rocker switch with HI/LO/OFF setting, will be located at seat side, center console or steering shift side for easy operation.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...152471d27a0iga
      05-31-2019, 11:10 AM   #13
Michael340i
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by willwang View Post
You are correct. It is heated seat if there is control switch or buttons, similar to this picture[IMG]C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\heated seat switch.jpg[/IMG].

But the price for heated seats kits are lower than £450 per seat, including all hardware, wire harness and control switch. That's will depends on the heating type, mainly carbon wire heating pads and thermoelectric heating device.
The BMW price for just the heating pads to fit to the two front seats, including backrest, base, and thigh bolster, is around £450 for the two. Plus around £980 for the new heater unit with heated seat buttons, plus custom-made wiring harnesses and the under-seat control units. Buying new BMW parts doesn't seem feasible, its likely to cost >£2000 to install what was a £300 option when new.

Agree you can get non-OEM aftermarket kits for much less, but they do look a bit aftermarket, and I would worry about putting some very inexpensive heaters in my seats. I put some very important and delicate equipment on the drivers seat, and wouldn't want something to set fire to it

If you can do the wiring yourself, and buy OEM parts from ebay then it becomes much more affordable, but recognise that not everyone is able to do that
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 06:17 PM   #14
Jhnblckwood
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 2014 320i xdrive

I have 2 black heated non sport electric seats with memory for sale. Located in NJ 10 mins from Philadelphia if anyone interested.

Ecu's included. Just need pre tensioners. Can b taken off old seats if u have them.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 09:49 AM   #15
cadamson
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT YMB F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by TePee View Post
There is no harness and no heating element normally.

My brother has a F10 with electric/memory sport leather seats without seat heating as well.

Due to memory seats there was a big seat module ECU present which has power and CAN cables. Thus no additional wiring was needed in this case. We have retrofitted other seats with heating elements inside and then coded the relevant ECUs.

At your F30 I guess it will be quite the same... Not really cheap, except you try to retrofit just the heating elements in your seats.
Sorry to hijack/resurrect an old thread. TePee, I purchased heated F80 seats and installed them into my F30 (non-heated from the factory). Are you saying all I need to do is source the seat heater buttons on the console and then do the appropriate coding to get them to work?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 06:12 AM   #16
Michael340i
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadamson View Post
Sorry to hijack/resurrect an old thread. TePee, I purchased heated F80 seats and installed them into my F30 (non-heated from the factory). Are you saying all I need to do is source the seat heater buttons on the console and then do the appropriate coding to get them to work?
If you're fitting heated seats to a car that didn't originally have them, then you need to install two heater power wires from the front fusebox to the seats, one on each.

You will also need to connect the driver seat to the correct CAN wires, and the passenger seat to a REM LIN connector, then VO code.

That's assuming that the F80 seats work the same way that F30/31 do?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 10:59 PM   #17
BoriMkanoW35i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335GT

On my F34 and using BimmerCode my seats have a heat option but I don’t have the button on the ac to turn on the heat on seats. Does anyone know if having the option or ECU for heated seats but no ON button = no heated seats? Or can I just plug in a unit with the button without coding?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 12:44 PM   #18
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
Bimmercode will show you all coding options whether you have it or not. If you don't have an on button for the heated seats on your dash then you don't have the heated seats unless you installed them after.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 03:07 PM   #19
sykesda
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d F31

F31 Heated seat retrofit

Hi, is there anyone that can help?

As with everything BMW everything is an added option unlike other makes and for some reason the previous owner never added heated seats....

Now I've read quite a few threads and have just ordered and received the wiring that's needed for the retrofit but the wires seem to be incredibly short and can't see how you'd be able to run the wire from the front fuse box or the REM?

My car originally only had m-sport manual seats, I've purchased m-sport heated manual seats. I've purchased the AC panel and will get someone to do the coding for me but wanted to fit them myself.

If there is anyone that has done this and can help with some tips and pointers, that would be great.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 09:06 AM   #20
pginfo
Registered
Rep
Drives: F21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sykesda View Post
Hi, is there anyone that can help?

As with everything BMW everything is an added option unlike other makes and for some reason the previous owner never added heated seats....

Now I've read quite a few threads and have just ordered and received the wiring that's needed for the retrofit but the wires seem to be incredibly short and can't see how you'd be able to run the wire from the front fuse box or the REM?

My car originally only had m-sport manual seats, I've purchased m-sport heated manual seats. I've purchased the AC panel and will get someone to do the coding for me but wanted to fit them myself.

If there is anyone that has done this and can help with some tips and pointers, that would be great.

Thanks

Hello, I am in the same sh.. but for my F21. Since then, can you achieve to go further? Thanks a lot for any help
Appreciate 0