F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Weird metal rattle/clanking noise from rear end
ARMA SPEED

06-20-2019, 09:44 PM   #1
saker
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 EBII Msport

Weird metal rattle/clanking noise from rear end

So its about time I stop lurking and post something. I come to you guys with the worst day I have had in a long time. I woke up this morning to my DD 2014 425i RWD making a very very loud metal rattle and clanking noise from my rear end under very little acceleration. This happens whether the car has had time to warm up or from cold start. This happen whether the car is going straight forward or turning.

Heres a very bad clip of what I'm describing, I'm worried to take it any further than my gravel driveway since it is my DD -

You can somewhat hear the noise in the background and towards the end of the clip. I can't tell if its the exhaust flap/actuator to assist in muffling noise or something else. Brake dust shields aren't touching or close enough where i would say would scrape if there is bumps/vibration. Not sure what else it could be....please don't be the diff.

Any input is much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 09:02 AM   #2
IraHayes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by saker View Post
So its about time I stop lurking and post something. I come to you guys with the worst day I have had in a long time. I woke up this morning to my DD 2014 425i RWD making a very very loud metal rattle and clanking noise from my rear end under very little acceleration. This happens whether the car has had time to warm up or from cold start. This happen whether the car is going straight forward or turning.

Heres a very bad clip of what I'm describing, I'm worried to take it any further than my gravel driveway since it is my DD -
You can somewhat hear the noise in the background and towards the end of the clip. I can't tell if its the exhaust flap/actuator to assist in muffling noise or something else. Brake dust shields aren't touching or close enough where i would say would scrape if there is bumps/vibration. Not sure what else it could be....please don't be the diff.

Any input is much appreciated.
I doubt it's the diff. To me it sounds like something is loose and rattling around. Maybe an exhaust hook has come free from its rubber hanger and is bouncing around? Has the car had any work done to it lately?

Last edited by IraHayes; 06-21-2019 at 11:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 10:11 AM   #3
saker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IraHayes View Post
I doubt it't the diff. To me it sounds like something is loose and rattling around. Maybe an exhaust hook has come free from its rubber hanger and is bouncing around? Has the car had any work done to it lately?
No work on the rear end except for swapping wheels/tires 2 months ago. I check the points of where the exhaust bolts/hangs and everything seems really snug.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 12:00 PM   #4
IraHayes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I know odds are slim, but check the rear wheels to make sure they are bolted on correctly, and aren't working themselves loose. If they were torqued under spec, they could work loose. This happened to my father. He had brakes done on his pickup and they didn't torque the wheels correctly. Several weeks later, one of his wheels came flying off on the highway.

You say you swapped wheels; larger and wider I assume? Look on the inside of the wheels/tires and look for signs of them having made contact with the car anywhere. If its a metal on metal sound, look on the inside of the rim for any kind of scratches or gouging; look for damage on that side of the tire as well.

In the past, some BMW's have had issues with the rear strut/shock mounts wearing out prematurely, but that usually results in a clunking noise.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 12:08 PM   #5
saker
Rep

I will take note of your suggestions and check on all of them when I get home. Hopefully its something that can be easily be corrected or diagnosed, if not the Service Center is within 5 miles of me.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 06:45 PM   #6
saker
Rep

Update on the issue. I checked and make sure wheels were correctly torqued and even swapped to my winter wheels to see if the issue persisted, and it does. The exhaust flap is definitely not the issue now that I spent some time messing with it. The noise is directly coming from the left wheel area. After inspecting it, I don't see any obvious glaring issues.

My neighbor who is mostly familiar with old Chevy trucks mentioned that it might be my wheel bearing. So, I'll have to look into this a bit more and just to take it to my service center and eat the costs.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 11:41 AM   #7
IraHayes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Update on the issue. I checked and make sure wheels were correctly torqued and even swapped to my winter wheels to see if the issue persisted, and it does. The exhaust flap is definitely not the issue now that I spent some time messing with it. The noise is directly coming from the left wheel area. After inspecting it, I don't see any obvious glaring issues.

My neighbor who is mostly familiar with old Chevy trucks mentioned that it might be my wheel bearing. So, I'll have to look into this a bit more and just to take it to my service center and eat the costs.
Please let us know what you find out. I'm curious, and I'm sure others are as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 06:27 AM   #8
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:

Wheel bearing is a decent amount of labor I think.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 10:49 AM   #9
IraHayes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Any updates?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 03:22 PM   #10
saker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IraHayes View Post
Any updates?
Apologies, I have been traveling for work for about 2 weeks and haven't had time to post anything or get my car. Now that I have it, the technicians were able to confirm that my Rear-left wheel hub were shot.

When I handed over the vehicle to them, it took about 2 days to replicate the noise. As I was driving it down the noise completely disappeared.

Now that I have the vehicle, it feels like I'm driving a new vehicle. I had them replace both rear hubs and rotors while they had it. When I spoke to the tech, he was shocked I had driving the vehicle like this and that it was driving "fine". He assumes that my hub must've been bad this whole time but never fully presented itself. One of the biggest differences was how smooth the vehicle naturally decelerates when I let off and how much road noise was being generated by the bad hub.
Appreciate 1
IraHayes154.00
      07-15-2019, 07:30 PM   #11
IraHayes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Glad you got it fixed. Thanks for updating us.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 01:02 PM   #12
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Apologies, I have been traveling for work for about 2 weeks and haven't had time to post anything or get my car. Now that I have it, the technicians were able to confirm that my Rear-left wheel hub were shot.

When I handed over the vehicle to them, it took about 2 days to replicate the noise. As I was driving it down the noise completely disappeared.

Now that I have the vehicle, it feels like I'm driving a new vehicle. I had them replace both rear hubs and rotors while they had it. When I spoke to the tech, he was shocked I had driving the vehicle like this and that it was driving "fine". He assumes that my hub must've been bad this whole time but never fully presented itself. One of the biggest differences was how smooth the vehicle naturally decelerates when I let off and how much road noise was being generated by the bad hub.
When you say hub, you're referring to the wheel bearing, right?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 01:29 AM   #13
saker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
When you say hub, you're referring to the wheel bearing, right?
Yeah, you see I'm a complete idiot XD. Meant to say wheel bearing, nice catch.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 08:01 AM   #14
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, you see I'm a complete idiot XD. Meant to say wheel bearing, nice catch.
I might consider doing this pre-emptively. I've already replaced the front wheel bearings when I did my camber correction hubs. The rears will be more difficult because my car is RWD and it has a drive axle.
Appreciate 0