F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Creaks, rattles, clicking noises - F36
Extreme Powerhouse

03-24-2018, 10:15 AM   #1
KarimS
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i

Creaks, rattles, clicking noises - F36

My 5 month old 420 GC with 5000km on it is becoming unbearable to drive. The interior build quality is just embarrassing for a car of this price. I can’t understand how a brand like BMW would sell cars like this, its truly mind boggling. My previous car, an Audi, went 7 years and 120kkm without sounding like this car. Is this common with BMW cars or am I unlucky? Its a shame because I love everything else about this car. I’m extremely disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 10:38 AM   #2
Noelified
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36

Garage List
64000km on mine and not a single squeak.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 11:10 AM   #3
Golo2016
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i Xdrive

My first BMW and I have to agree with OP, it's a shame that the build quality is not there. I understand this is not a 7 series, but I also have a MY2014 MB C300 and it seems that built like a tank.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 11:31 AM   #4
Dirk Diggler
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarimS View Post
My 5 month old 420 GC with 5000km on it is becoming unbearable to drive. The interior build quality is just embarrassing for a car of this price. I canÂ’t understand how a brand like BMW would sell cars like this, its truly mind boggling. My previous car, an Audi, went 7 years and 120kkm without sounding like this car. Is this common with BMW cars or am I unlucky? Its a shame because I love everything else about this car. IÂ’m extremely disappointed.
My f30 2012 has a fair amount of creaks when I accelerate hard from a dead stop or hit big bumps. My e90 was rattle free, and of much better quality.

Somehow however, BMW has made this a more enjoyable driving experience compared to the old car, and the trade off has been worth it. I guess it's a matter of the whole being better than the sum of its parts.

Drive it and enjoy it for what it is, a nice car made by a company no different than any other. They're in the game to maximize profits while still being competitive. Nothing more.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 12:14 PM   #5
KarimS
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
My f30 2012 has a fair amount of creaks when I accelerate hard from a dead stop or hit big bumps. My e90 was rattle free, and of much better quality.

Somehow however, BMW has made this a more enjoyable driving experience compared to the old car, and the trade off has been worth it. I guess it's a matter of the whole being better than the sum of its parts.

Drive it and enjoy it for what it is, a nice car made by a company no different than any other. They're in the game to maximize profits while still being competitive. Nothing more.
The problem is I've driven Kia and Hyundai cars that didn't have issues like I'm experiencing. I understand nothing is perfect and there's always tradeoffs in everything, but the car isn't even a year old. I can't even imagine how it's going to become two or three years down the road. I agree with you though, the driving experience is amazing (and all I have is the base 420!), the look of the car is amazing, I'm a big fan of the interior design as well, it's just the quality of it. Not sure what I'm going to do. This is a key issue for me, it might even make me sell the car sooner than I normally would.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 04:16 PM   #6
IAmATeaf
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
My 2015 f30 squeaked like a kids squeaky toy until I got took it in to a sympathetic dealer who went through the entire car and fixed every single one. Changing the windows guides/runner according to the dealer was what fixed the majority. The idrive screen still makes a noise but only when going over bumps but they did put more foam when mounting the screen back but I think it flexes so looks like I’ll have to put up with it.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 06:04 PM   #7
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarimS View Post
My 5 month old 420 GC with 5000km on it is becoming unbearable to drive. The interior build quality is just embarrassing for a car of this price. I canÂ’t understand how a brand like BMW would sell cars like this, its truly mind boggling. My previous car, an Audi, went 7 years and 120kkm without sounding like this car. Is this common with BMW cars or am I unlucky? Its a shame because I love everything else about this car. IÂ’m extremely disappointed.
I'm not sure what area your rattles are coming from, but the f36 has frameless windows, and the rubber sealing where the window seats can dry and shrink back a bit, causing the window to wobble and make noise when driving. This common with any car with frameless windows, and is often a source of rattles in these cars. I think there's a sticky on this site describing the issue in some detail, and suggesting ways to address it. There are products you can buy that treat the rubber and at least might prevent it from getting worse.
Appreciate 0