F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > HELP! KW Street Comfort Spring Failed
ARMA SPEED

09-12-2020, 04:25 PM   #1
LimboYo
United_States
Rep
Drives: F32 430i xDrive

HELP! KW Street Comfort Spring Failed

I installed a set of KW Street Comfort (part #: 1802000R) Coilover for my F32, but I recently started noticing some quite huge bang sounds when hitting bumps even small bumps. I took the car to the shop who installed the coils for me and they found that the front passenger side spring settled way more than it should be (settled from 26 5/8 inches to 26 inches in two weeks) and they suspect here is some problem with the front passenger side spring. Wondering if anyone here has similar experience and could shed some light on whether it could be caused by the bad spring and should I order a replacement of the spring?

Here are some photos:
The day when it got installed (front driver side) Height: 26 5/8 inches

Front driver side after 2 weeks (not sure about the height but looks normal)

Front passenger side after 2 weeks(The failed one) Height: 26 inches

I'm quite upset and disappointed now since she is my daily but now it failed at the aftermarket part which may cost some extra money and time to get the replacement

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 05:34 PM   #2
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Adjust the height. There's also the fact that KW coilovers adjust height and preload with the same perch.

After springs settle you're supposed to readjust and get an alignment. You might need a new shop.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 05:49 PM   #3
LimboYo
United_States
Rep

Thank you. I'm still pretty new to the suspension system but I'm planning to adjust the height by my self this time. What I'm worried is the shop told me the spring settled way more than it should be which seems abnormal. And I'm not planning to go too low since this is my daily and wondering if I can just uplift the height a little bit by adjusting the perch? Would that help to relax the spring? the driver side spring now looks quite compressed now.:
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 05:54 PM   #4
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Spring failure in KW coilovers is a very rare occurrence.

Did the shop follow all instructions including preloading the springs?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 08:10 PM   #5
LimboYo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Spring failure in KW coilovers is a very rare occurrence.

Did the shop follow all instructions including preloading the springs?
I honestly don't know if the shop followed all instructions. But the technician who installed my coils is very experienced and should have followed the instructions.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 12:31 AM   #6
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
I don't think adjusting the height will help unless your problem is the damper bottoming out instead of coil bind. On the passenger side spring do you see marks on all the spring coils from binding?

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 12:09 PM   #7
LimboYo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
I don't think adjusting the height will help unless your problem is the damper bottoming out instead of coil bind. On the passenger side spring do you see marks on all the spring coils from binding?
My car is still in the shop so I can't check that at the moment. The technician told me that both driver and passenger side has exact same setup but passenger side will compress the spring to the bottom as I showed in the third picture once put the vehicle weight on it.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 02:37 PM   #8
HandyRandy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 328xi '13

That happens when the ride height is set too high. The drop I got from my set, is a lot lower than advertised.
Appreciate 0