F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Resonator Delete N55
Extreme Powerhouse

06-02-2015, 01:35 AM   #177
2blu
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 540i XDrive ///M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjm127 View Post
Here's a pic I found on the web. The actuator should look like this once you've disconnected it:
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/att...8&d=1353176992

As for warranty, well it's takes 2 seconds to plug it back in, they'll do it themselves if they ever notice it (worst case, they'll think it popped out by mistake along the way and somehow got wrapped in duct tape ). But don't worry, it's a pretty innocent and easily reversible mod.

I wanted to know if a DP would void my warranty or create problems upon returning my lease. Anyone?
I've taken my car in three times with DP for maintenance and they never said anything about it. I had one of my brake sensors acting up one time and they did the warranty with no questions asked in regards to the DP. They even told me that the check engine light was on because I had a DP (because I removed the JB4 which eliminates the error code normally) but they didn't make a fuss about it and took care of the brake sensor issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 09:04 AM   #178
DD335i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 BSM F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbydigital
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjm127
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbydigital View Post
What technique did you use?

Start it up, rev to 4500-5000 rpm then go back and unplug the cable thingy?
1) start up
2) switch to Sport+ mode
3) shut down engine
4) start up
5) get out of the car as soon as possible
6) wait for the valve to open on the driver's side exhaust tip (you can hear this by an electronic mechanical noise OR by placing your hand at the exit of the exhaust tip and making sure the air is coming out OR visually by simply getting down on your knees and checking that the valve is open)
7) unplug the actuator from its plug that's connected to the left side of the exhaust (could take some time until you learn how to unplug it, you'll be relieved when you do!)
8) with duct tape, cover the tip of the actuator with at least 2 layers to avoid water to get in
9) hang the actuator to a fix surface using duct tape
10) enjoy a 5% increase in sound dB levels
Thanks, exactly what I needed.

Do you have a photo of what the plug looks like so I know what to look for?

Also, will I have to worry about plugging it back in when I take my lease car in for service?
I did pretty much the same

But just ran the car hot in sport+ for a few miles and came home, shut it off, saw it was open, then unplugged (which wasn't easy at first lol) and duct taped! It with a layer or two and put it back in the hole where it goes kinda and taped the whole thing so it stays dry

South Florida Real Estate
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 09:16 AM   #179
aacabriolet
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '14 435i Coupe

Do you guys not get error codes when unplugging the flap?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 11:14 AM   #180
Trcb777
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

You won't get a "cel" from unplugging the flap but I guess there are hidden codes that the dealership will see if the plug into the obdii. I just kept it plugged in and removed the spring and tied the flap in the open position. Basically the golf tee mod.
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2015, 06:30 PM   #181
DD335i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aacabriolet
Do you guys not get error codes when unplugging the flap?
No CEL, have had service on the car, no mention of codes and it's still unplugged.

Appreciate 1
      06-05-2015, 09:36 AM   #182
Livfast335
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i Gran Coupe X-Drive

Hey guys, question. How do you get that turbo whistling sound on some of these exhaust videos? Is this only done with an aftermarket DP? Thanks!
      06-05-2015, 10:21 AM   #183
aacabriolet
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livfast335
Hey guys, question. How do you get that turbo whistling sound on some of these exhaust videos? Is this only done with an aftermarket DP? Thanks!
Seems like it yeah. From the vids I've seen
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 10:50 AM   #184
Trcb777
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livfast335 View Post
An intake will definitely let you hear the turbo spool. I have the AFA open intake and the turbo sound is awesome.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 10:55 AM   #185
aacabriolet
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trcb777
Quote:
An intake will definitely let you hear the turbo spool. I have the AFA open intake and the turbo sound is awesome.
Think he means out of the exhaust though.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 10:55 AM   #186
Livfast335
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i Gran Coupe X-Drive

I hear the turbo but I'm saying through the exhaust. You can hear it in some of these videos with even light revs.
      06-05-2015, 06:07 PM   #187
DD335i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livfast335
I hear the turbo but I'm saying through the exhaust. You can hear it in some of these videos with even light revs.
Down pipe

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 10:46 AM   #188
maddog3xx8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

I just did my ER DP this weekend and thought it was going to bit louder, its pretty quite. As for the spool noise out of the exhaust, its not as pronounced as the videos

Last edited by maddog3xx8; 06-09-2015 at 10:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 02:23 AM   #189
aacabriolet
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog3xx8
I just did my ER DP this weekend and thought it was going to but louder, its pretty quite. As for the spool noise out of the exhaust, its not as pronounced as the videos
Catless? Post up a vid!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 10:22 AM   #190
maddog3xx8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by aacabriolet View Post
Catless? Post up a vid!
yes catless, I'll try to get a recording and post it
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 09:53 PM   #191
Gjm127
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i xDrive M-Sport

Garage List
Back to the main topic of this thread, I've been driving around with my resonator delete and golf tee mod for the past week or two and I must say, even though at first I didn't feel much of a difference, now it's starting to sound way louder to my ears than before... Especially on start-ups!

Why is that ? There can't really be "break-in"'s for this little of a pipe change, can there ?

I compared it with a stock 435i F33 earlier today and the difference is very big! People around were asking me what I had done to my system lol.. I'm happy I got this mod!
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2015, 11:06 PM   #192
DD335i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Back to the main topic of this thread, I've been driving around with my resonator delete and golf tee mod for the past week or two and I must say, even though at first I didn't feel much of a difference, now it's starting to sound way louder to my ears than before... Especially on start-ups!

Why is that ? There can't really be "break-in"'s for this little of a pipe change, can there ?

I compared it with a stock 435i F33 earlier today and the difference is very big! People around were asking me what I had done to my system lol.. I'm happy I got this mod!
Definitely considering doing this. Did you get a chance to see the exhaust? How did it come out? I doubt we'll have any problems with BMW (I'm leased)

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 02:04 AM   #193
Gjm127
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i xDrive M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD335i View Post
Definitely considering doing this. Did you get a chance to see the exhaust? How did it come out? I doubt we'll have any problems with BMW (I'm leased)
I'm leased too. I'll worry about that in 40 months !

My resonator is safe and sound at my place just in case I need to reinstall it one day.

Exhaust from outside doesn't look anything different than before... From underneath, you just have a straight simple pipe instead of a bulkier looking resonator. Very simple concept really!

I suggest anyone that wants a little more out of their exhaust notes to do this. It's worth it for just a few bucks!

PS: In case anyone tries to do this on a leased car, don't forget to mention to the shop to cut the resonator in a way that it could be welded back some day. I say this because on my old E92, I had a secondary cat delete and upon trading my car back to BMW 3 years later, I went back to the shop and asked them to weld it back just in case, only to find out it couldn't be done because the cut was too inward towards the converter. So what you need to do is make sure the cuts are made in the area where the diameter is constant and leave a buffer of at least 2 inches on each side of the resonator block before making the cuts.
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2015, 12:04 PM   #194
Sal335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Quote:
Quote:

My resonator is safe and sound at my place just in case I need to reinstall it one day.

Exhaust from outside doesn't look anything different than before... From underneath, you just have a straight simple pipe instead of a bulkier looking resonator. Very simple concept really!

I suggest anyone that wants a little more out of their exhaust notes to do this. It's worth it for just a few bucks!

PS: In case anyone tries to do this on a leased car, don't forget to mention to the shop to cut the resonator in a way that it could be welded back some day. I say this because on my old E92, I had a secondary cat delete and upon trading my car back to BMW 3 years later, I went back to the shop and asked them to weld it back just in case, only to find out it couldn't be done because the cut was too inward towards the converter. So what you need to do is make sure the cuts are made in the area where the diameter is constant and leave a buffer of at least 2 inches on each side of the resonator block before making the cuts.
My car is a lease too! They won't do anything. All you have to do is weld the resonator back on or just leave it for the lease return. They won't know the difference. That's what I did with my Vdub GTI.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 05:00 AM   #195
jstnstr
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340xi

Quote:
Quote:

Would you mind posting a couple pictures of the inside of the resonator please?
      07-24-2015, 02:45 PM   #196
DG335
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi M Performance

Quote:
The more straight through the exhaust system is, the more you'll hear the turbo whistling through the exhaust. Stock exhausts are the most restrictive and quiet, where a straight through exhuast (from headers back) would allow you to fully hear the turbo due to the lack of restrictions, i.e. silencers..
A dp definitely lets you hear the turbo, but with a resonator delete you can just barely hear the turbo whistle (usually in an underground garage with good acoustics )
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 02:51 PM   #197
Sal335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG335 View Post
The more straight through the exhaust system is, the more you'll hear the turbo whistling through the exhaust. Stock exhausts are the most restrictive and quiet, where a straight through exhuast (from headers back) would allow you to fully hear the turbo due to the lack of restrictions, i.e. silencers..
A dp definitely lets you hear the turbo, but with a resonator delete you can just barely hear the turbo whistle (usually in an underground garage with good acoustics )

DP IS A MUST!!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 08:51 AM   #198
DG335
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi M Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal335i View Post
DP IS A MUST!!
It's people like you that feed my addiction!!
Appreciate 0