F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > M performance LSD
proTUNING Freaks
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-20-2014, 08:58 PM   #1
drexplode
Colonel
drexplode's Avatar
United_States
907
Rep
2,428
Posts

Drives: G20 M340i PB
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Walled Lake Michigan

iTrader: (15)

M performance LSD

Any one install?

Feedback?

BMW M Performance Limited Slip Differential
33107555610
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 09:41 PM   #2
COKen
Lieutenant
COKen's Avatar
United_States
130
Rep
435
Posts

Drives: 2014 435i / 2002 M Roadster
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

I have. It's great.
__________________
2014 435i M-Sport, Mineral Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Driver Asst Pkg, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 8 Spd Sport AT, Heated Front Seats, ACC, BMW M Perf Tune w/MPE, BMW LSD, BBS CH.

2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Steel Gray Metailic HT, TC Kline DA Shocks & Camber Plates, w/H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 12:30 AM   #3
meme
Private
5
Rep
58
Posts

Drives: 335i Mineral Grey
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: internets

iTrader: (0)

I want to get it. It's pretty lame that it does not come installed on a 335i, it should.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 12:31 AM   #4
meme
Private
5
Rep
58
Posts

Drives: 335i Mineral Grey
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: internets

iTrader: (0)

COKen,

Where did you get it installed, mind sharing how much you paid?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 12:57 AM   #5
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
483
Rep
1,059
Posts

Drives: Yes
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Geneva

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by COKen View Post
I have. It's great.
Track aside, do you feel any changes/improvements when you do heavy cornering on "normal" roads?
__________________
2018 BMW M4 DCT / ZCP| 450HP / 550Nm | Sakhir Orange | Photo album
2010 BMW Z4 sDrive35i DKG | 306 HP / 400Nm | Space Gray | Photo album
Sold 2014 BMW 435xd | 360HP / 710Nm | Estoril Blue | Photo album
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 12:08 PM   #6
COKen
Lieutenant
COKen's Avatar
United_States
130
Rep
435
Posts

Drives: 2014 435i / 2002 M Roadster
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

I had it installed at my dealer. Got the BMWCCA discount off of MSRP.

You can feel the difference. Before the install, the traction control would kick in even if you didn't feel it. Now it can put the power down without the nannies getting involved so much. The justification I used to get it is so that I'll have more traction in the winter (even though I didn't really have any issues last winter). For me it is well worth the cost.
__________________
2014 435i M-Sport, Mineral Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Driver Asst Pkg, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 8 Spd Sport AT, Heated Front Seats, ACC, BMW M Perf Tune w/MPE, BMW LSD, BBS CH.

2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Steel Gray Metailic HT, TC Kline DA Shocks & Camber Plates, w/H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 01:08 PM   #7
Tony_YYZ
Private
Tony_YYZ's Avatar
Canada
1
Rep
83
Posts

Drives: It has 4 wheels
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Forgive my ignorance but is the need for an LSD negated with X-Drive?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 01:14 PM   #8
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
drob23's Avatar
United_States
46
Rep
1,734
Posts

Drives: S4
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_YYZ View Post
Forgive my ignorance but is the need for an LSD negated with X-Drive?
No, x-drive redistributes torque front/rear...but the LSD will help in the rear with left/right. A LSD also has very high bandwidth to react (i.e. how fast it can redistribute torque). The x-drive clutch pack can only react after sensors detect slip (or other cases where it's obvious you should have AWD, such as launch).

The main effect this will have is on a track with either: (1) removing massive inside wheel spin when turning hard and on gas; (2) reduce the ESP intervention if you don't disable it.

Last edited by drob23; 08-21-2014 at 01:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 02:21 PM   #9
Tony_YYZ
Private
Tony_YYZ's Avatar
Canada
1
Rep
83
Posts

Drives: It has 4 wheels
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
No, x-drive redistributes torque front/rear...but the LSD will help in the rear with left/right. A LSD also has very high bandwidth to react (i.e. how fast it can redistribute torque). The x-drive clutch pack can only react after sensors detect slip (or other cases where it's obvious you should have AWD, such as launch).

The main effect this will have is on a track with either: (1) removing massive inside wheel spin when turning hard and on gas; (2) reduce the ESP intervention if you don't disable it.
Thanks for the explanation. I have only owned a FWD car with an LSD and can attest to its usefulness. It massively reduces front wheel hop under launch acceleration and the turn-in feel in the steering is also noticeable.

Is there an LSD available for X-Drive models?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 02:44 PM   #10
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
drob23's Avatar
United_States
46
Rep
1,734
Posts

Drives: S4
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_YYZ View Post
Thanks for the explanation. I have only owned a FWD car with an LSD and can attest to its usefulness. It massively reduces front wheel hop under launch acceleration and the turn-in feel in the steering is also noticeable.

Is there an LSD available for X-Drive models?
I think you would absolutely feel it, especially if you ever took your car to an autox or track day. Probably would also notice it in bad weather.

FWD is complicated because you're also using those wheels to steer. I also believe LSD's create understeer on engagement, since you are essentially removing the ability of the wheels to spin at separate speeds (inside wheel must spin slower while cornering). Although this might give you an oversteer effect since it occurs at the front axle. But I guess some modern FWD cars have such silly high torque that they need the LSD (Mazda S3 for instance).
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 02:48 PM   #11
Tony_YYZ
Private
Tony_YYZ's Avatar
Canada
1
Rep
83
Posts

Drives: It has 4 wheels
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
I think you would absolutely feel it, especially if you ever took your car to an autox or track day. Probably would also notice it in bad weather.

FWD is complicated because you're also using those wheels to steer. I also believe LSD's create understeer on engagement, since you are essentially removing the ability of the wheels to spin at separate speeds (inside wheel must spin slower while cornering). Although this might give you an oversteer effect since it occurs at the front axle. But I guess some modern FWD cars have such silly high torque that they need the LSD (Mazda S3 for instance).
I have taken the car AutoX'ing in the past, definitely useful to have. Although I've never had to worry about too much torque since the car barely had any.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST