F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Brake pads shifting?
GetBMWParts

06-30-2018, 07:15 PM   #1
Golo2016
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i Xdrive

Brake pads shifting?

Hi all, don't know if this belongs in the service section, but mods feel free to move it if necessary.

A few days ago, I started to hear a clanking noise everytime I pressed the brakes first thing in the morning, it wouldn't do it after the first time in the morning. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the pads after I insisted that the noise couldn't be normal as they wanted me to believe. Apparently, they put some paste behind the pads. Haven't heard the noise so far.

After researching for a little bit, it seems that this happens to other manufacturers as well. Surprised as I had Mercedes and they have never done this, is this an annoyance that this BMWs suffer from? The pads according to the IDrive had 39,000 miles left.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 07:48 PM   #2
rackjuediger
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i 6mt

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Did they not apply the pad lubricant to the last set?
Bimmerworld, H
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 09:07 PM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

A slight noise is normal. When you park at night the pads shift when you come to a stop. The next morning you're probably going to drive in the opposite direction, causing them to shift in the opposite direction, creating the noise. If the noise is slight it means the pads are floating freely in the pad carrier, as they're supposed to. Excessive noise could mean the pads or carriers are worn, or they just need grease. I back my car into my garage, the next morning I drive forward out of the garage, and there's almost always a slight groan from the brakes the first time I release the brake pedal, but only that first time.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 07:46 AM   #4
truth649
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golo2016 View Post
Hi all, don't know if this belongs in the service section, but mods feel free to move it if necessary.

A few days ago, I started to hear a clanking noise everytime I pressed the brakes first thing in the morning, it wouldn't do it after the first time in the morning. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the pads after I insisted that the noise couldn't be normal as they wanted me to believe. Apparently, they put some paste behind the pads. Haven't heard the noise so far.

After researching for a little bit, it seems that this happens to other manufacturers as well. Surprised as I had Mercedes and they have never done this, is this an annoyance that this BMWs suffer from? The pads according to the IDrive had 39,000 miles left.
I get that clunk noise too, only on the first brake application on a cold start. It is not the typical scraping noise caused by overnight rust accumulation on the rotor surfaces. Pads should not be shifting, the spring force in the clips should keep them in place. Not sure what it is but I keep forgetting to mention it on service visits.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 05:08 PM   #5
zeikei
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: F36

Exactly same here. Comes during first regular braking after braking in reverse. No sound after that. The sound is so loud that I think the pads must somehow stick in their position and then shoot from one end to another only when enough friction is applied. I need to take the pads out and grease them according to the BMW instructions.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 06:32 AM   #6
Golo2016
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeikei View Post
Exactly same here. Comes during first regular braking after braking in reverse. No sound after that. The sound is so loud that I think the pads must somehow stick in their position and then shoot from one end to another only when enough friction is applied. I need to take the pads out and grease them according to the BMW instructions.
Grease them where? My limited logic tells me that if the problem is that they're shifting inside the caliper, how grease is going to help? If anything, the grease would allow them to move even more, no?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 10:26 AM   #7
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

They're going to shift with the change in the driving direction when braking. If they're not adequately greased they'll groan more than they should when they make that directional shift.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 05:09 PM   #8
zeikei
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: F36

Yes that is my assumption, with (new) paste the pad movement would be smoother. I will report the outcome once I have a chance to do this, easy and cheap if it works.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 06:19 PM   #9
Golo2016
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeikei View Post
Yes that is my assumption, with (new) paste the pad movement would be smoother. I will report the outcome once I have a chance to do this, easy and cheap if it works.
They put new pads in the front and a paste or a glue on the back of the pad. Haven't heard the noise in a couple of days. Will keep my ears open, so to speak. lol
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 06:34 PM   #10
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

The paste on the back of the pads is to prevent squealing. Different issue, different product, applied in a different location.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 07:26 PM   #11
medlyleeds
Rep
Drives: G20 320D x-drive

Had similar thing after brakes were changed on my E90. Was told it was the pads moving ever so slightly in their holders. Stopped doing it after a few months I presume due to build up of dust around the pads.
Appreciate 0