F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > MHD Wifi adapter issues?
Studio RSR

04-15-2021, 08:16 AM   #23
chinniciF32
Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: f32 n55

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
1. Are you around a lot of other Wifi networks? People have reported issues with that.

2. Did you get signed out of MHD in the app? That happens to me when i dont use it for a while, then i have to go through several steps to get logged back in before i can connect to the car.

I considered the WiFi adapter but i bought the bimmergeeks wired cable years ago and its been very reliable so i feel no need to switch.
yea on youtube they mentioned it might act up if your around a lot of wifi signals and I live in densely populated area (wifi city) so thought that might be the case.

someone posted above that they wiggled around the wifi adapter in the OBDII port so instead of pushing the wifi agent into the port firmly I gently put it in so that it wasnt too snug, connected no problem and flashed back to the e20 map successfully.

as always jeremy thanks for the help, will probably buy a cable for the future just in case this happens again.
      06-03-2021, 10:51 PM   #24
NZ-M340ixDrive
Private First Class
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Garage List
Rehashing an old thread, I’m having issues with mine

It connects to the adapter (iOS) but doesn’t connect to the car? I’ll try the looser connection instead and see
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 09:50 AM   #25
dslick2025
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji335i View Post

It connects to the adapter (iOS) but doesn’t connect to the car? I’ll try the looser connection instead and see
Same here, last time the orange wifi dongle worked (n54) was maybe 6 months, 1 year ago. Pretty sure OBD port on car + Wifi adapter is in good shape.

I have a huge feeling this sudden intermittent wifi connection is related to iOS major updates. My theory is that iOS changed something with how it handles Wifi in the back-end, and suspect the OS is timing out wifi connection when it doesn't detect an internet connection after some time. Currently on iOS v14.7.1.

Has anyone tried flashing on iOS with the iPhone charger in? I need to run some more trial and error and report back.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 11:02 AM   #26
visionaut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435iX GC & 1976 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji335i View Post

On recent IOS, you need to make sure the MHD app has ‘Local Network’ access under Privacy settings. And disable Private Access for the WiFi connection (which does MAC address spoofing). Turning on Airplane Mode may also help, so you’ve only got the MHD WiFi connection running.

I use the black MHD WiFi adapter, and it’s working the same (great) running under 14.7.1 with no issues. I’ve even switched over to using it’s WiFi for my BimmerLink/Bimmercode connections since it’s much faster (vs the original Bluetooth OBD adapter I bought for those apps).

Last edited by visionaut; 08-14-2021 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: SpEellling…
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2022, 10:30 AM   #27
v40jlt4
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 2.0i ede 2013

An other thread resurrection.
I purchased my black adapter months ago but left it lying around.
Used it yesterday in someone else's g21 with bimmercode. Worked perfectly.
Tried it today in my 2013 F30 and it looses connection a lot. Unuseable. An other vGate adapter works just fine in the car.
Did someone else test a dodgy adapter in another car?
There’s no way in hell I’ll chiptune my car with this ….
Appreciate 0