F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N55 checkup
ARMA SPEED

05-30-2021, 04:44 PM   #1
Widowmaker_f32
Enlisted Member
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: BMW 435I F32

N55 checkup

Hey guys,

So I was cruising last night in my M performance 435i 2014 FBO with no tune for now and the oil temperature jumped to 250F and the check engine light came on. before saying it's normal to have the engine oil temperature at 250F... I always had it around 200~220F even on WOT. So about the check engine light checked for codes using the MHD and it gave me the following list :

- DME active codes -

-10BA48 - Intake air temperature - charge
air temperature, comparison: Intake air
temperature too high.

-122004 - Blow-offvalve. activation: Line
disconnection .

-180001 - Catalytic converter: Efficiency below
limit value.

-201101 - DME, protection against tampering:
Program or data manipulation detected.

- DME shadow (inactive) codes -
108932 unknown

- Transmission active codes -

None

My only 2 concerns are the first dme code and the shadow code. Anyone bumped into these codes ? and what could they be?

Thank you in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 04:49 PM   #2
n55david
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, 2015 X3 x35i

Garage List
2017 m240i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
temp is normal regardless where it was at before. regardless what you think, the car will tell you if it's over heating.

besides the codes etc.. is it running okay?
IG: @n55david For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 05:04 PM   #3
Widowmaker_f32
Enlisted Member
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom10R View Post
temp is normal regardless where it was at before. regardless what you think, the car will tell you if it's over heating.

I got worried because 2 weeks ago I had my engine block change due to a bad tune, first time driving it and the temperature went above 250F and the car turned off by it self in the middle of the highway. Towed it back to the garage, the mechanic said that due to a bad oil temperature sensor the fan did not turn on automatically when the oil began to heat up which caused rod bearings failure and I had to replace the crankshaft.

So now everytime I drive the car one eye on the road and the other eye on the oil temperature
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 06:29 PM   #4
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 2014 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker_f32 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom10R View Post

I got worried because 2 weeks ago I had my engine block change due to a bad tune, first time driving it and the temperature went above 250F and the car turned off by it self in the middle of the highway. Towed it back to the garage, the mechanic said that due to a bad oil temperature sensor the fan did not turn on automatically when the oil began to heat up which caused rod bearings failure and I had to replace the crankshaft.

So now everytime I drive the car one eye on the road and the other eye on the oil temperature
This literally makes no sense
You should see oil temps on n54 cars without an oil cooler. Lol
Mine sits between 220 and 250, oil temp at 250 doesn't cause damage to rods, those numbers are normal and the car should not be turning off because of oil temps, fan not kicking on and high coolant temps can.
Appreciate 1
n55david1295.50
      05-31-2021, 02:04 PM   #5
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Hey guys,

So I was cruising last night in my M performance 435i 2014 FBO with no tune for now and the oil temperature jumped to 250F and the check engine light came on. before saying it's normal to have the engine oil temperature at 250F... I always had it around 200~220F even on WOT. So about the check engine light checked for codes using the MHD and it gave me the following list :

- DME active codes -

temperature too high.

disconnection .

limit value.

108932 unknown

None

My only 2 concerns are the first dme code and the shadow code. Anyone bumped into these codes ? and what could they be?

Thank you in advance!
As stated above, normal operating oil temp is 245F. Easy to hit 250F and totally normal.

The first and 2nd code seem like either a wiring issue or a sensor issue. Very possible if you just had your engine out/rebuilt.

The cat code is probably for a DP, since you said FBO.

The DME code might be because you had a tune and removed it?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 02:14 PM   #6
frchdragon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Quote:

So, you change the bottom end then oil temp went high and you spun a bearing???

What probably happened:
- changed bottom end
- Engine not primed
- Spun bearing
- Garage blaming it on something else

I can see the coolant going to high if the sensor is bad, but oil in your case? Nope.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 04:23 AM   #7
Widowmaker_f32
Enlisted Member
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:
Hey guys,

- DME active codes -

temperature too high.

disconnection .

limit value.

108932 unknown

None

Thank you in advance!
As stated above, normal operating oil temp is 245F. Easy to hit 250F and totally normal.

The first and 2nd code seem like either a wiring issue or a sensor issue. Very possible if you just had your engine out/rebuilt.

The cat code is probably for a DP, since you said FBO.

The DME code might be because you had a tune and removed it?
i've been waiting for your reply on this forum lol,
so yes it was a sensor issue.
For the cat code, yes i have a dp and for the dme as you said it's about the tune.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 04:30 AM   #8
Widowmaker_f32
Enlisted Member
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frchdragon View Post
Quote:

So, you change the bottom end then oil temp went high and you spun a bearing???

What probably happened:
- changed bottom end
- Engine not primed
- Spun bearing
- Garage blaming it on something else

I can see the coolant going to high if the sensor is bad, but oil in your case? Nope.
That's exactly what happened man, when test driving it and it turned off he said WTF i'm in deepsh*t.

When the engine jammed he said he'll be taking care of it since he was the one fixing my car. But when he did his research he told that the problem was from a bad sensor (engine oil temperature sensor) so i had to pay for a set of bearings, a crankshaft and the sensor.

My bill went straight to the sky
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 06:21 AM   #9
frchdragon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Quote:
When the engine jammed he said he'll be taking care of it since he was the one fixing my car. But when he did his research he told that the problem was from a bad sensor (engine oil temperature sensor) so i had to pay for a set of bearings, a crankshaft and the sensor.

I don't know if you have any legal recourse in Lebanon, but this is entirely the shop's fault in my book. There is zero reason for the oil temp to go that high to damage the engine. This is really bad for the shop to blame their shady work on unrelated parts.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 01:21 PM   #10
Widowmaker_f32
Enlisted Member
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frchdragon View Post
Quote:

I don't know if you have any legal recourse in Lebanon, but this is entirely the shop's fault in my book. There is zero reason for the oil temp to go that high to damage the engine. This is really bad for the shop to blame their shady work on unrelated parts.
Sadly, we don't.

Now I'm in my car and there's a small misfire barley noticeable but no check engine light is on and nothing on MHD.

Can't get rid of this car.

new injectors
new sparkplugs
new ignition coils
new oil
full tank of gas

and still have a misfire :')
probably from the first dme code, it's still on.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2022, 07:48 PM   #11
xalw
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 n55, e70 diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Sadly, we don't.

Now I'm in my car and there's a small misfire barley noticeable but no check engine light is on and nothing on MHD.

Can't get rid of this car.

new injectors
new sparkplugs
new ignition coils
new oil
full tank of gas

and still have a misfire :')
probably from the first dme code, it's still on.
What did you find?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2022, 09:41 PM   #12
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

You need to get above 297F before any sort of warnings start to pop up. And even then performance is not limited, car will just limit AC function. I believe not until 306F power is limited. AND EVEN THEN BMW obviously built in some safety margin...
      01-18-2023, 06:08 AM   #13
Widowmaker_f32
Enlisted Member
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xalw View Post
What did you find?
Sorry for my late reply.
Welllll, I sold the car 🤣. But before that I had it on the dyno and we were taking logs of 19 different files, and after 3 consecutive days of working on it and changing ignition coils/spark plugs/ injectors/ hpfp, it turned out to be from the lpfp.
Looks like even if your lpfp is having issues, there's no f-ing way to find out because it never shows on the scanner nor on the logs.
I think there's a special tools that reads the graph of the lpfp and it turned out that when I'm hitting high speed WOT my lpfp is kinda turning off of not doing its proper job.
So I sold it the next day and got an S55 F82.

Mods update about my 435i:
Dp/cp
Intercooler 6.5"
M2 ignition coils
Ngk 97506 spark plugs
M2 2018 turbo
M2 hpfp
Cts turbo intake
Turbo inlet/outlet
Dv+
Acl bearings
Stage 2+ custom ECU tune via MHD
Stage 3 tcu xhp
And some work on the exhaust.

Pictures attached
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 07:12 AM   #14
xalw
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 n55, e70 diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Sorry for my late reply.
Welllll, I sold the car 🤣. But before that I had it on the dyno and we were taking logs of 19 different files, and after 3 consecutive days of working on it and changing ignition coils/spark plugs/ injectors/ hpfp, it turned out to be from the lpfp.
Looks like even if your lpfp is having issues, there's no f-ing way to find out because it never shows on the scanner nor on the logs.
I think there's a special tools that reads the graph of the lpfp and it turned out that when I'm hitting high speed WOT my lpfp is kinda turning off of not doing its proper job.
So I sold it the next day and got an S55 F82.

Mods update about my 435i:
Dp/cp
Intercooler 6.5"
M2 ignition coils
Ngk 97506 spark plugs
M2 2018 turbo
M2 hpfp
Cts turbo intake
Turbo inlet/outlet
Dv+
Acl bearings
Stage 2+ custom ECU tune via MHD
Stage 3 tcu xhp
And some work on the exhaust.

Pictures attached
Nice upgrade 👌🏽 got some goodies already too! Just don’t sell it if you start having issues that’s a keeper 😂 is the crank hub done?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2023, 05:13 AM   #15
Widowmaker_f32
Enlisted Member
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xalw View Post
Nice upgrade 👌🏽 got some goodies already too! Just don’t sell it if you start having issues that’s a keeper 😂 is the crank hub done?
I sold it because I moved to Canada, and Yes the crank hub was done. I really loved that car but, the amount of money spent on it I could've bought a Lambo🤣
I'm happy with my F82 tho.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2264.50