F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Dorch stg1 hpfp enough?
Studio RSR

10-03-2020, 08:23 AM   #23
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastF30 View Post
"Slowspeed" on you tube went BigTurbo and FX150 and didn't know the BM3 option to pick at the time and thought it was the pump... he called spool and they sent him a brand new one...come to find out it was the "BM3 Original" box he had to pick and not the pump... I feel your over exaggerating this whole customer service thing...

So far the FX150 handle everything he could throw at it with the Big Turbo (28lbs boost/ E65)... to each their own... also check out the MHD thread on why he picked MHD over BM3 I just loaded up... very interesting....
I got my Dorch for $999. The Spool 150 is a nice sweet spot, but if I’m spending $1400 I’m going to go with a Stage 2 HPFP for a few hundred dollars more.

And, I have to say that scenario sounds like a total PITA and waste of time. Good customer service would have identified that issue and corrected it before throwing parts at it. At least Dorch is pretty clear on what selections need to be made so the car starts.

BM3 has a simple toggle for Spool (and Dorch and XDI), so it’s pretty hard to mess that up. Install HPFP, toggle on, 20sec flash, and start the car is all I had to do.

Last edited by ZM2; 10-03-2020 at 08:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 10:14 AM   #24
Bowenpuref3p
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowenpuref3p View Post
I would gladly go the spool fx150 route but I would need to get someone to input the parameters onto my car before I could even start it. So that's why I am leaning towards dorch or xdi since I just have to check a box on MHD.

Unless anyone knows for sure I can click the dorch or xdi option on MHD and it will work with spools hpfp.
Why you going with a new HPFP unless you have a upgraded turbo or running E85 higher than E30 mix that would require a custom tune anyways... Otherwise there is no sense of getting a HPFP...
I'm upgrading my hpfp because I have a pure stg2 turbo and will be running e30-e50 mix. And port injection just adds to many other factors and tuning issues compared to a dme controlled hpfp
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 10:15 AM   #25
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
The stock turbo isn’t even maxed out on stock fuel pump.
agreed... only way to max out a stock turbo is to run E85mix and custom tune... for now anyways...
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 10:16 AM   #26
Bowenpuref3p
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1rty_b1rd View Post
I was able to squeeze 495hp with the dorch stage 1 on e30 with a speedtech 8374 before i hit hpfp drops. Their customer service is top notch! Over nighted a new low pressure fuel line. Best customer service ive dealt with by far!
Ahh thank you for a response from someone who has personally found the limit or dorch stg1 hpfp. I really appreciate this and you just made my decision a bit easier.
Dorch stg2 hpfp it is. Thanks man
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 10:24 AM   #27
Bowenpuref3p
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If customer service is that important to you then that's your prerogative ... going by the numbers...

HDP5 (Stock N55).................0.837
HDP5 Evo (Stock B58)...........0.897
HDP6 (Stock B58TU).............1.107
Dorch Engineering Stage 1.....1.221....$1199
Spool fx150.........................1.340....$1399
Dorch Engineering Stage 2.....1.465....$1699
Spool fx180.........................1.600....$1799

Good luck in your decision... I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you get...
Like I said I'd go spool of I could check a box with MHD as that's the tuning software I use already. I have personal experience with spool already as I use their tank to hpfp AN fuel line upgrade and their bluetooth ethenol sensor setup and I have no. complaints. The kit was nice shipped quick and is like 150 bucks less then fuel-it same setup.
I emailed MHD a few weeks ago and they couldn't give me a date on when they would include spool hpfp option. It's a shame because with spool I could probably get away with the fx-150 and even if not I'd still save 100 going with the fx-180 verse dorch stg2.
So basically unless someone with a spool hpfp and MHD has tried the pump with MHD option of dorch or xdi and can say it ran fine. Then I'm stuck with dorch or xdi as an option which is a shame since spools pump fits my needs a bit better.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 10:26 AM   #28
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
I got my Dorch for $999. The Spool 150 is a nice sweet spot, but if I’m spending $1400 I’m going to go with a Stage 2 HPFP for a few hundred dollars more.

And, I have to say that scenario sounds like a total PITA and waste of time. Good customer service would have identified that issue and corrected it before throwing parts at it. At least Dorch is pretty clear on what selections need to be made so the car starts.

BM3 has a simple toggle for Spool (and Dorch and XDI), so it’s pretty hard to mess that up. Install HPFP, toggle on, 20sec flash, and start the car is all I had to do.
The shop I might go to installs spool all the time... so don't know how much easier it can be for me anyways.... I'm hoping this Black Friday Spool has a sale...It's now been clarified that MHD is better for custom tuning... in the end glad we have choices...
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2020, 10:30 AM   #29
Bowenpuref3p
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Spool FX150 seems like the best option IMO unless you plan on going big turbo...as we all know it's been proven with success running E85....
Over on the M2 forum folks have been happier with Dorch customer service vs Spool. Not voting one over the other, just saying, and anytime I emailed Dorch they got back to me in <20min.
I have seen some of the customer service complaints as well with spool. But I have already bought the fuel line bluetooth ethenol sensor kit from them and I have no compaints. I can also say when I emailed dorch about the same question as I'm asking here they got back within an hour. Their response was pretty detailed as well and seemed to agree I would probably need a stg2 hpfp.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 10:33 AM   #30
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Like I said I'd go spool of I could check a box with MHD as that's the tuning software I use already. I have personal experience with spool already as I use their tank to hpfp AN fuel line upgrade and their bluetooth ethenol sensor setup and I have no. complaints. The kit was nice shipped quick and is like 150 bucks less then fuel-it same setup.
I emailed MHD a few weeks ago and they couldn't give me a date on when they would include spool hpfp option. It's a shame because with spool I could probably get away with the fx-150 and even if not I'd still save 100 going with the fx-180 verse dorch stg2.
So basically unless someone with a spool hpfp and MHD has tried the pump with MHD option of dorch or xdi and can say it ran fine. Then I'm stuck with dorch or xdi as an option which is a shame since spools pump fits my needs a bit better.
From my understanding those check boxes is just to get the pump working for it's current OTS maps... if going with higher Emix more than E20/30 still need a custom tune... for now anyways....
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 10:36 AM   #31
Bowenpuref3p
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I got my Dorch for $999. The Spool 150 is a nice sweet spot, but if I'm spending $1400 I'm going to go with a Stage 2 HPFP for a few hundred dollars more.

BM3 has a simple toggle for Spool (and Dorch and XDI), so it's pretty hard to mess that up. Install HPFP, toggle on, 20sec flash, and start the car is all I had to do.
The shop I might go to installs spool all the time... so don't know how much easier it can be for me anyways.... I'm hoping this Black Friday Spool has a sale...It's now been clarified that MHD is better for custom tuning... in the end glad we have choices...
Yeah if I was getting it installed someplace who knew how to make the bin file changes on mhd I'd go spool in a heartbeat. But I do all my installs but I have no idea how to make bin file changes on mhd myself. Maybe I can find someone who has done the changes for a spool hpfp who could give me a step by step. Since your right about the fx150 being the sweatspot for my setup as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 10:38 AM   #32
Bowenpuref3p
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
From my understanding those check boxes is just to get the pump working for it's current OTS maps... if going with higher Emix more than E20/30 still need a custom tune... for now anyways....
Yeah that's my intention to use the ots map until I can setup something with a tuner and get it dyno tuned. I would only be running 93 with the pure stg2 and hpfp as that's all the mhd pure stg2 turbo ots map supports.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 10:44 AM   #33
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
It has nothing to do with the Emix or running a custom tune. It just turns the pump on to make it work with the car.

The soon to be released OTS Stg 2+ 93, E30-40, Race Gas maps from Halim at BM3 are maxing out the stock, Dinan, PS2, and TTE turbos without needing to get an expensive custom tune, and has the typical OTS flexibility and safeties built in.

It blows away the map Cary did for my car (and for other guys testing it right now) on the same hardware and fuel, and guys with the larger turbos are getting >540whp on a Dynojet.

The BM3 Stg 2+ OTS tunes are being released soon, so all these custom tuners who think they’re bad ass (like Cary) are about to get their butts handed to them.

Last edited by ZM2; 10-03-2020 at 10:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 10:44 AM   #34
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah that's my intention to use the ots map until I can setup something with a tuner and get it dyno tuned. I would only be running 93 with the pure stg2 and hpfp as that's all the mhd pure stg2 turbo ots map supports.
contact Fabian @ Pureboost... that's who I'm going to use... He's been proven with JerryBMW running pure E85.... he'll send you one of his OTS and then go from there for fine tuning...

Last edited by FastF30; 10-03-2020 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 10:52 AM   #35
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It has nothing to do with the Emix or running a custom tune. It just turns the pump on to make it work with the car.

The soon to be released OTS Stg 2+ maps from Halim at BM3 are maxing out the stock, Dinan, PS2, and TTE turbos without needing to get an expensive custom tune, and has the typical OTS flexibility and safeties built in.

It blows away the map Cary did for my car on the same hardware and fuel, and guys with the larger turbos are getting >540whp on a Dynojet.

The BM3 Stg 2+ OTS tunes are being released soon, so all these custom tuners who think they’re bad ass (like Cary) are about to get their butts handed to them.
Exactly what I said... as of right now just good for OTS... not full E85 stage 2+ which I want to run... and I'm sure by the actual time I buy the pump and have it installed MHD will have a Stage2+ OTS full E85 mix... hope so anyways... otherwise makes no sense for me to buy BM3 just for an OTS map for the same price I can have a custom tune with MHD that I'm already running...
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 11:32 AM   #36
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Exactly what I said... as of right now just good for OTS... not full E85 stage 2+ which I want to run... and I'm sure by the actual time I buy the pump and have it installed MHD will have a Stage2+ OTS full E85 mix... hope so anyways... otherwise makes no sense for me to buy BM3 just for an OTS map for the same price I can have a custom tune with MHD that I'm already running...
You do you, but for me there’s not enough power gain on our platform to go full E85 vs E47 to warrant all the headache that comes from running full E85 all the time.

And, unless you have a flex fuel sensor with instant map switching, tuning for E85 with US flex fuel is pretty dumb and one low E content flex fuel fill up from imploding your motor.

Going with half E85 you lose maybe 5-10whp, but it’s much safer for the motor and lot less corrosive and water absorbing. Plus, no slow cranking or having to hit the start button twice to fire up.

Last edited by ZM2; 10-03-2020 at 11:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 11:36 AM   #37
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You do you, but for me there’s not enough power gain on our platform to go full E85 vs E47 to warrant all the headache that comes from running full E85 all the time.
What????? ..........Drive up fill tank pure E85... what the heck is so hard about that....

E47.... gotta calculate every-time you go to the pump... even with an inline sensor still gotta calculate...

So why is E85 harder than E47..... seems easier no???????????????

as you said... you do you...
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 11:41 AM   #38
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
What????? ..........Drive up fill tank pure E85... what the heck is so hard about that....

E47.... gotta calculate every-time you go to the pump... even with an inline sensor still gotta calculate...

So why is E85 harder than E47..... seems easier no???????????????

as you said... you do you...
You clearly don’t know much about E85.

If you’re in the US, we don’t have pure E85, we have flex fuel ethanol which can be E55-85. If you tune to the edge for E85 and a different flex fuel station has lower E content you’ll get super knock and blow your motor.

E47 is simply half E85 and half 93 octane. No math needed, especially for the number challenged like you. JK.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 11:57 AM   #39
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
agreed... only way to max out a stock turbo is to run E85mix and custom tune... for now anyways...
You can crash on 93 octane. There is one person making 440whp on 93 - stock Turbo. Results aren’t typical I can imagine, but there is power beyond the stock fuel pumps range.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 12:03 PM   #40
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

If you’re in the US, we don’t have pure E85, we have flex fuel ethanol which can be E55-85. If you tune to the edge for E85 and a different flex fuel station has lower E content you’ll get super knock and blow your motor.

E47 is simply half E85 and half 93 octane. No math needed, especially for the number challenged like you. JK.
Dude... every response you have had has been contradicting yourself... If Pure E85 is no such thing wouldn't that also be the same for a E47 mix since your using E85+/- to mix??????????????????????????? ... I agree with what your saying about E85... luckily the gas station I go to has been having pure E85 so far... they stride themselves for it since they know all the tuned cars go there... we'll see about the winter blend... Getting an inline sensor just to make sure... also planned on getting a E60mix but will now look into a E47mix... as I said before... I'm running MHD... no sense for me to spend money on a inferior tune just to get a OTS map for the same price it will cost me to get a custom tune on the superior MHD I already have...
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 12:19 PM   #41
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
You can crash on 93 octane. There is one person making 440whp on 93 - stock Turbo. Results aren’t typical I can imagine, but there is power beyond the stock fuel pumps range.
Interesting... Been running 93/boostane for a few years now and no issues... but I can only run 2 gallons of E85 when mixed with 93/boostane per tank or it crashes my fuel pump... still trying to empty my tank to see if the boostane is limiting me from running more E85 on stock pump...
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 12:31 PM   #42
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

there is only two scenarios I've heard...

1) running to much E85 crashes stock fuel pump (I've done this already)
2) running less E85 only pulls timing and boost... (guess I'm doing this now since I diluted it since the crashing of stock fuel pump and logs show it)

Haven't heard anybody blowing their engine up...

Last edited by FastF30; 10-03-2020 at 12:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 12:58 PM   #43
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Dude... every response you have had has been contradicting yourself... If Pure E85 is no such thing wouldn't that also be the same for a E47 mix since your using E85+/- to mix??????????????????????????? ... I agree with what your saying about E85... luckily the gas station I go to has been having pure E85 so far... they stride themselves for it since they know all the tuned cars go there... we'll see about the winter blend... Getting an inline sensor just to make sure... also planned on getting a E60mix but will now look into a E47mix... as I said before... I'm running MHD... no sense for me to spend money on a inferior tune just to get a OTS map for the same price it will cost me to get a custom tune on the superior MHD I already have...
Contradicting, no. Not giving you all the answers that you need to either research on your own or learn the hard way, yes.

The flex fuel situation is another reason Halim’s new Stg 2+ E30-40 map is better than most all custom tunes for E85. His tune is more than just log, advance timing and boost, log, and keeping doing that to find a limit until the car stops making power or runs rough, and then dial it back a little bit.

His new map works with E30 but also adds more power the more E you put in the tank, while also being safer than a custom tune bc it adapts better and works no matter how hard you’re driving or ambient temps/IATs. The guy really is on a level by himself with these new OTS maps, and like I said, it blows away the map Cary did for me.

The main point I’m trying to make is now that we all have access to affordable fueling solutions for our cars, there’s all these people out there saying “oh man, I’m going Stage 2, running full E85, getting a custom tune, and I’m going to make a zillion horsepower!”, when they don’t have a clue about E85 running and living with E85 in a daily driver.

This is all new territory for the N55 masses, so there will no doubt be more head to head comparisons bn E30-E85 tunes, but it will more than likely play out as I’ve learned so far = running half E85 on the next gen OTS Stg 2+ tunes will be safer, more flexible, and provide as much or more power than most “full E85” custom tunes.

Last edited by ZM2; 10-03-2020 at 01:23 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2020, 01:11 PM   #44
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Contradicting, no. Not giving you all the answers that you need to either research on your own or learn the hard way, yes.

The flex fuel situation is another reason Halim’s new Stg 2+ E30-40 map is better than most all custom tunes for E85. His tune is more than just log, advance timing and boost, log, and keeping doing that to find a limit until the car stops making power or runs rough.

His new map works with E30 but also adds more power the more E you put in the tank, while also being safer than a single custom tune so that it works no matter how hard you’re driving or ambient temps/IATs. The guy really is on a level by himself with these new OTS maps, and like I said, it blows away the map Cary did for me.

The main point I’m trying to make is now that we all have access to affordable fueling solutions for our cars, there’s all these people out there saying “oh man, I’m going Stage 2, running full E85, getting a custom tune, and I’m going to make a zillion horsepower!”, when they don’t have a clue about E85 running and living with E85 in a daily driver.

The is all new territory for the N55 masses, so there will no doubt be more head to head comparisons bn E30-E85 tunes, but it will more than likely play out as I’ve learned so far = running half E85 on the next gen OTS Stg 2+ tunes will be safer, more flexible, and provide as much or more power than “full E85” custom tunes.
Your talking about a 100% self adjusting flex fuel tune...Ecutek has it and Yes I heard BM3 was coming out with it... will require inline sensor....good point to make ... I'm sure MHD will follow-up with it... they have with everything else...probably why they maybe are not pursuing a Stage2+full 85 OTS.... someone just gonna look at the code and figure it out.. they all do...no matter what I'll be getting the new pump... I'm in no hurry so might just wait to see if MHD does or doesn't... thanks for the info... just don't be so mean when responding... you hurt my feelings.... lol....
Appreciate 1
ZM22824.00