F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Valve Cover Gasket Replacement
Studio RSR

01-18-2021, 07:42 AM   #23
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
I have been putting off this job for awhile...do get smoke and see oil at rear passenger side. What I am wondering us why replace whole cover instead if just gasket? How hard was it to replace the vent hose, as far as bottom connection goes?
PCV hose was easy. Put a zip tie around it, in front of the 4 tabs and slide it under them so they all open at the same time, then slide it off. The base is easy as well, one screw and pull it out.
      01-18-2021, 12:59 PM   #24
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance

My '14 needed this repair too, with only 47k miles. Seems like they just get bad over time.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 02:46 PM   #25
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Nice.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 09:11 AM   #26
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjlane View Post
The cover gets brittle and is prone to cracking. Since you are already there, it's a good idea to replace the cover at the same time.
I'm kind of debating on changing the whole thing--pretty big price difference as far as the whole piece or just gaskets--especially if the cover is fine. My car has 65k. Couple of vids, including the one in this thread, show just the gasket change. Wondering what the dealer does by default.
      01-19-2021, 09:45 AM   #27
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'm kind of debating on changing the whole thing--pretty big price difference as far as the whole piece or just gaskets--especially if the cover is fine. My car has 65k. Couple of vids, including the one in this thread, show just the gasket change. Wondering what the dealer does by default.
I swapped the entire thing for piece of mind. Who knows if the old one was warped or had micro cracks in it that would eventually fail. I figured if I'm doing all of this work I might as well just swap the entire thing out and be done with it. I would HIGHLY recommend swapping the PCV hose, I'd go as far as saying it was a requirement for this job. No way I was putting that back.

I'm still trying to figure out what that hose was in the video that was missing on my vehicle. That and why both vacuum ports were plugged instead of just the one.
      01-19-2021, 10:45 AM   #28
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxThe_RemedyXx View Post
I swapped the entire thing for piece of mind. Who knows if the old one was warped or had micro cracks in it that would eventually fail. I figured if I'm doing all of this work I might as well just swap the entire thing out and be done with it. I would HIGHLY recommend swapping the PCV hose, I'd go as far as saying it was a requirement for this job. No way I was putting that back.

I'm still trying to figure out what that hose was in the video that was missing on my vehicle. That and why both vacuum ports were plugged instead of just the one.
I think I will get the PCV hose---still try to figure out the cover part. I'm fine getting a new one if that is needed, but I don't really want to spend an extra $400+ if its not necessary. I think if the car has 100k or so its an easier decision...but replacing the whole cover at 65k....kind of lame if these things need to be replaced that often.
      01-19-2021, 04:54 PM   #29
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjlane View Post
The cover gets brittle and is prone to cracking. Since you are already there, it's a good idea to replace the cover at the same time.
They don't replace the cover unless they find cracks. However they don't typically replace gaskets on vehicles closer to 100k miles on the odometer.

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 04:56 PM   #30
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

IIRC was a port for vacuum activated wastegates. I think there used to be a cap. You could reach out to FCP.

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 06:09 PM   #31
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Quote:
Quote:

IIRC was a port for vacuum activated wastegates. I think there used to be a cap. You could reach out to FCP.
This is the only picture I've been able to find with regards to this port. It's number 2 in the picture but no solid info...

Should it be capped?
Attached Images

01-19-2021, 08:16 PM   #32
khj24
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

This is the only picture I've been able to find with regards to this port. It's number 2 in the picture but no solid info...

Should it be capped?
Mine was unused when I replaced my VCG and I left it as is. No issues for over a year, I think it's just a leftover port for older N55's that isn't utilized with EWGs.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 09:27 PM   #33
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Should it be capped?
Mine factory cover wasn't so I wasn't to concerned

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 11:17 PM   #34
Tchao
Boost Addict
Rep
Drives: E30, E82, F30, F87

The lower part of the VC is a built-in vacuum reservoir, with ports to the vacuum pump and wastegate. It's not used in EWG cars.
      01-21-2021, 01:33 PM   #35
Randy Johnson
BM3
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchao View Post
The lower part of the VC is a built-in vacuum reservoir, with ports to the vacuum pump and wastegate. It's not used in EWG cars.
Thank you for the explanation. I did not have the vacuum lines on my 435i either and could not find a reference online that there was a change.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 08:37 PM   #36
Chaos236
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne , 640 GC

Quote:
Just ordered everything up and hopefully will have the parts by Saturday. Looking forward to fixing this. The only thing I worry about is rolling the gasket when installing the new one. Wonder if I should pick up some gasket tack... FCP says the gaskets and bolts are preinstalled so I'm hoping they're in there nice and tight. I ordered all OEM parts so they should be good.
I need to do all the same repairs, what’s the deal with FCP shipping options and long time to get the parts?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 08:07 AM   #37
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos236 View Post
I need to do all the same repairs, what’s the deal with FCP shipping options and long time to get the parts?
Thanks
FCP is amazing. They're based out of CT and I live in NY, about an hour away. I pick the free shipping option and I get everything the next business day. Parts are what you expect from OEM and FCP's customer service is top notch.
      02-09-2021, 10:14 AM   #38
designatedposter
Captain
Rep
Drives: m235i

Fcpeuro.com
      02-09-2021, 11:35 AM   #39
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

FCP euro is good and i have used them for most things.

I have also found that ecs tuning has the fastest turnaround time and very fast (1-2 day) shipping options should you need that and want to pay for it.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 02:53 PM   #40
frchdragon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

This is a lot of good information. I am going to start pulling the valve cover out, mine is also leaking.
I have a question regarding the BMW Valvetronic Actuator Seal, anything special regarding the replacement?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 03:18 PM   #41
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frchdragon View Post
This is a lot of good information. I am going to start pulling the valve cover out, mine is also leaking.
I have a question regarding the BMW Valvetronic Actuator Seal, anything special regarding the replacement?
Nothing to it. Purchase a replacement and it comes with self tapping screws. Screw them down hand tight until they bottom out, no further. The gasket will seal and you're good to go.
      03-03-2021, 04:09 PM   #42
frchdragon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Thank you, my part supplier has the gasket only, no screws... I wonder if the stock screws can be reused. I can see some seeping from the area so I want to change it while I am at it.

I didn't see anybody in the videos changing it, I guess I will try and report back.

The zip tie trick worked perfectly, here is a pic of it in action.
Attached Images

Last edited by frchdragon; 03-03-2021 at 08:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 11:48 PM   #43
antzonthe1
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

My 2016 f32 has 94k miles and hardly a leak but it did show itself and smoke a tiny bit once or twice so I'm gonna dig in. From just inspecting with cover off and flashlight it looks to be the gasket, actual cover shows moisture in two spots hope it's not a cracked. Ordered a VC off amazon for $100 hope it's good enough lmao. Goin to order a gasket off fcp in case I want to only do the gasket since I don't know the history of the car but it's been great and all parts everywhere look newish and clean. Will let yall know how the amazon VC is
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 07:35 AM   #44
TheJungatron
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD- USA

Quote:
If anyone has questions please feel free to message me. This was a great experience and I learned a lot.
Love it! I gotta do this at some point. No leaks yet but 48k on my 15 335i so almost to that time.
(Retired - 1987 325i Vert)
Appreciate 0