F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Scan tool for INDEPTH diagnosis & reprogramming keys & immobilizer/car.
Studio RSR

10-26-2021, 12:19 AM   #1
Eurocar_lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: VW GTI GLX

Question Scan tool for INDEPTH diagnosis & reprogramming keys & immobilizer/car.

I'm looking at buying one of the devices that allows you to program key fobs & keys (those that have a chip in them). I have a couple VW's & and Audi that need sets of keys made and it's less expensive to buy the unit than have a dealer/locksmith do the work.

I'm wondering if anyone here knows the pieces of hardware the car references in order to start the car (I'm guessing they have immobilizers). In my VW I have to have a matching lock cylinder (which transmits/receives RFID signal) as well as matching the instrument cluster (and possibly the ECU). You can change (replace) one of the lock/key cylinder, cluster or ECU and still have the key work. More than that and you have to a lot more programming (which I'm still not sure what/how this is done).

I'm wondering if anyone knows about BMW's. This will be for a 2014 335i Xdrive and a 2010 535i xdrive wagon & possibly a 2015 X5 3.5i xdrive. I want to know what I need to do in worse case scenario where all keys/fobs are lost and or, hardware needs replaced that is part of the key/fob identification process like (ECU, cluster, lock/key cylinder). I'm not worried about cutting the key (the metal part - I can figure that out later).

I'd also like to be able to diagnose cars (OBDII scanning) and I need to be able to do as much professional stuff as possible b/c I'm working for a wholesaler & I'd like to be able to do a deep scan before buying/bidding on cars. The key thing just happens to be something that is needed at the same time - so maybe that works out for the better.?

Is there any software or hardware packages anyone can suggest, maybe something that uses a laptop or tablet/phone that connects via wireless/bluetooth or a USB->OBDII adapter. Is there software available to allows for diagnostics changing & programming locks/fobs?

These are the main packages I found, and the one I think I would need is $3300 - $4000! I have seen them on Aliexpress (they look identical!) for anywhere from 10-40% off - depending on the model. IDK if I would trust these coming from China but I'm also wondering if they are all made in the same place & these are just not OFFICIALLY branded "Autel"...

Autel MaxiIM IM608 Professional Key Programming Tool 2021 Newest with Enhanced XP400 Key Programmer & J2534 Reprogrammer, All Systems Diagnosis, ECU Coding, Bi-Directional Scan Tool & 30+ Service - $3,300

Autel MaxiIM IM508 Advanced Key Fob Programming Tool, 2021 Newest Automotive Diagnostic Scanner with XP200 Key Programmer, All System Diagnosis, 25+ Services, ABS Autobleed, Oil Reset/EPB/ DPF/SAS/BMS
- $1300

Autel XP400 Pro 2021 Newest Key Programming Accessory Tool Kit Working with IM508, IM608, IM608 Pro, Upgraded Version of XP400
- $700

Last edited by Eurocar_lover; 10-26-2021 at 02:40 AM.. Reason: fixed mis-spelling
Appreciate 0