F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > F30 Projector Angel Eye Headlights!
GetBMWParts

10-23-2018, 05:57 PM   #1871
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhenat0n View Post
I will receive my DEPO angel eyes tomorrow and I think I will go with the HID option for the bulbs. I did a lot of research and ended up with that:

HID Parts

H7 HID Adapter : https://www.theretrofitsource.com/h7...ros-49083.html 10$

H7 Morimoto HID Bulb: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/hi...to-xb-hid.html 40$

H7 35W Canbus: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/ba...anbus-35w.html 90$

Total: 150$
Are these the only 3 things you purchased for the HID conversion? I bought a kit from HID Nation that includes the bulbs, ballasts, relay, and resistors. After doing some research (which I should have done before), I think I might return it and buy from TRS instead. Looks like a much easier install, and quality products. Does the canbus take care of the errors and flickering?

Also, do you know what the difference is between the H7A bulbs and H7B?
      10-23-2018, 11:46 PM   #1872
F80_Ho
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpjustinn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30 Viet View Post
Just had a local shop install them today They arrived in about 5 business days, no problems or issues. Plug and play. They look awesome! Very satisfied.
They look awesome!! Very nice! How much did the shop charge to install them? Mine are arriving tomorrow. Wondering if I should go that route.
My shop only charged me $110 for install. They also specialize in BMW's. Hope yours turn out good too!
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2018, 02:45 PM   #1873
Craven_01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30 Viet View Post
My shop only charged me $110 for install. They also specialize in BMW's. Hope yours turn out good too!

Would you post a picture of the beam cut off?

Last edited by Craven_01; 10-24-2018 at 04:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 11:46 AM   #1874
Craven_01
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerJ View Post
That's unfortunate. Mine is only a single vs. your double.
Could you post pictures of your beam cutoff line? Myself and other forums members would appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 03:51 PM   #1875
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven_01 View Post
Could you post pictures of your beam cutoff line? Myself and other forums members would appreciate it.
View post on imgur.com

This is the only one I have right now. Not the best photo but you can I see I just have the one cutoff vs. two.

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 08:12 PM   #1876
Craven_01
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
View post on imgur.com

This is the only one I have right now. Not the best photo but you can I see I just have the one cutoff vs. two.
That's similar as to what I have when it's up close. From distance the cut off line isn't clean and the step is magnified. Even though the picture is up close, the second step or divot is still noticeable not as pronounced as others. I think everyone is in the same boat. The internal shutter of the Depo is poorly designed.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 08:34 AM   #1877
Stubok
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red F30 328i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
View post on imgur.com

Man I'm so stoked with the HID Conversion kit! Thanks for the recommendation and advice!

Light output is way better than the Halogens.

I'm still tweaking the alignment because I think the point of the cutoff is to have both cut outs match at a certain distance for incoming traffic.

I'm setting that match point at about 50 yards. I parked in a level parking garage at one end and adjusted the beams so the notches were over each other on a wall about 50 yards away.

It's not great, but they're not bad either, especially with the better output from the HID's.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 09:12 AM   #1878
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
That's similar as to what I have when it's up close. From distance the cut off line isn't clean and the step is magnified. Even though the picture is up close, the second step or divot is still noticeable not as pronounced as others. I think everyone is in the same boat. The internal shutter of the Depo is poorly designed.
Even at a distance, it's still the same step and less pronounced due to the blending of light.

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 02:27 PM   #1879
F80_Ho
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 Competition

More photos. I'll post the beam cutoff soon. Will definitely look into a HID/LED kit soon.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 05:33 PM   #1880
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Ok stupid question. Just got my HID kit from TRS. How the heck do I get the adapter on the bulb?? It goes behind the bulb right? Do I need to slide the H7 socket out of the grommet to slide the bulb wires through the adapter?
      10-29-2018, 05:40 PM   #1881
Craven_01
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Even at a distance, it's still the same step and less pronounced due to the blending of light.
what bulb setup do you have?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 05:45 PM   #1882
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I just got the Depo headlights and Morimoto H7 HID bulbs. Trying to swap out the halogen bulbs the new headlights came with, with the HID’s, before I install this weekend. But can’t figure out how to get the adapter on
      10-29-2018, 06:04 PM   #1883
Craven_01
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpjustinn View Post
I just got the Depo headlights and Morimoto H7 HID bulbs. Trying to swap out the halogen bulbs the new headlights came with, with the HID’s, before I install this weekend. But can’t figure out how to get the adapter on

I backed out the screws a little to make it easier. It's all trial and error.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 08:53 AM   #1884
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
55W HID at 6K

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 09:47 AM   #1885
ithk21620
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i X-Drive

Sorry if this has been asked but what is everyone running for their high beam lights?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 04:43 PM   #1886
ithk21620
Enlisted Member
Rep

Edit: I wasn't thinking that the projector will flip the light

However if you look at the cutoff you will see a tiny imperfection and I think that is what is causing a lot of the grief with everyone and the cutoff line. I have some time before I will be installing them so I may try to take a file and lightly take that extra notch off and flatten the line out some. Just not sure I want to risk messing up $600 lights.

Original:
So I finally got time to open the box for my Depo lights and I decided to take a look at the infamous cutoff line inside the projector. Isn't the cut off line supposed to be on the top? Mine is installed on the bottom and I am afraid I have some defective units. Anyone else have this issue??
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 02:02 PM   #1887
Craven_01
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithk21620 View Post

However if you look at the cutoff you will see a tiny imperfection and I think that is what is causing a lot of the grief with everyone and the cutoff line. I have some time before I will be installing them so I may try to take a file and lightly take that extra notch off and flatten the line out some. Just not sure I want to risk messing up $600 lights.

Original:
So I finally got time to open the box for my Depo lights and I decided to take a look at the infamous cutoff line inside the projector. Isn't the cut off line supposed to be on the top? Mine is installed on the bottom and I am afraid I have some defective units. Anyone else have this issue??
The cutoff shield is supposed to be on the bottom. I agree with you, the little step is what's causing grief. IMO the cutoff shield in USR's Depo headlights is poorly designed. Please post pictures of the cutoff line after you file down the step. Also, Check out this article from The Retrofit Source. You can see how most of the cutoff shields are shaped.
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/bl...id-projectors/
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 08:08 PM   #1888
ithk21620
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Original:
The cutoff shield is supposed to be on the bottom. I agree with you, the little step is what's causing grief. IMO the cutoff shield in USR's Depo headlights is poorly designed. Please post pictures of the cutoff line after you file down the step. Also, Check out this article from The Retrofit Source. You can see how most of the cutoff shields are shaped.
When I look inside at the cutoff line it isn't clean like it should be. There is an imperfect that I want to file down. The portion above the red line. It should be flat and not have a slight mountain before the step down. Sorry for the crappy picture. I will try and take some better ones when I do it
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 09:57 PM   #1889
Craven_01
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Original:
When I look inside at the cutoff line it isn't clean like it should be. There is an imperfect that I want to file down. The portion above the red line. It should be flat and not have a slight mountain before the step down. Sorry for the crappy picture. I will try and take some better ones when I do it
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Original:
Here's the result of that portion above the red line.
Attached Images

Last edited by Craven_01; 11-04-2018 at 10:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 06:37 AM   #1890
ithk21620
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Original:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Original:
That's exactly what I am talking about. I plan to file that portion off and make the cutoff line look like the top portion of this picture you posted earlier. I figure it's worth a try.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 07:52 AM   #1891
Craven_01
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Original:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Original:
That's exactly what I am talking about. I plan to file that portion off and make the cutoff line look like the top portion of this picture you posted earlier. I figure it's worth a try.
Here's your picture rotated 180 degrees. You can see how the output will look like. The white portion will be the output of the headlight. You can definitely see it's not going to be a clean cutoff line.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 07:56 AM   #1892
ithk21620
Enlisted Member
Rep

Here is the cutoff line up close when using a flashlight. And also a better picture of the actual cutoff piece. The cutoff piece isn't very sturdy inside so I'm not sure how well this is going to go...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0