F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Is going high flow or catless worth it for the LOUD??
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-17-2017, 01:26 AM   #1
tzlopez13
Ya Boi
tzlopez13's Avatar
6
Rep
28
Posts

Drives: "Rising Sun" F30 335i
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Fullerton, CA

iTrader: (0)

Is going high flow or catless worth it for the LOUD??

Hey all!! I've been wanting to replace my downpipes for a while now primarily for the loudness there potentially may be. I'm running a Borla ATAK catback on my F30 N55 335i for reference. I'm mainly looking for a more prominent roar as I get on it and a much more noticeable burble/pop as I let off the gas. Of course somewhere down the road I'm going for some sort of ecu tune to amplify this effect. My main concern is that I live in California, which is known for its amazingly strict rules on emissions and the penalties for having a catless downpipe are crazy.
So, is the investment into a highflow catted downpipe going to give me what I'm looking for?
And is it worth all of the risk to go catless for the ultimate LOUD?
Please share your stories and your wisdom for a newbie like me
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 08:20 AM   #2
chaungo
=D
chaungo's Avatar
Canada
1090
Rep
1,868
Posts

Drives: 13' 335ix
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Quebec

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzlopez13 View Post
Hey all!! I've been wanting to replace my downpipes for a while now primarily for the loudness there potentially may be. I'm running a Borla ATAK catback on my F30 N55 335i for reference. I'm mainly looking for a more prominent roar as I get on it and a much more noticeable burble/pop as I let off the gas. Of course somewhere down the road I'm going for some sort of ecu tune to amplify this effect. My main concern is that I live in California, which is known for its amazingly strict rules on emissions and the penalties for having a catless downpipe are crazy.
So, is the investment into a highflow catted downpipe going to give me what I'm looking for?
And is it worth all of the risk to go catless for the ultimate LOUD?
Please share your stories and your wisdom for a newbie like me


Depends if you're willing to catch the attention of everyone within a 3-4 block radius at WOT

Catless DP with Borla ATAK is extremely loud past 3.5k RPM. (video above)
__________________
2013 335i xDrive
Bootmod3, Pure Stage 2, Pure Inlet, GFB DV+, AFE Pro Dry S Drop-in Filter, ER CP/TIC CP, ER Catless DP, ATM FMIC, Borla ATAK, Dinan Springs, Dinan Shockware, XHP ZF8AT Stage 3, xDelete
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 12:06 PM   #3
soundwave9
Private
20
Rep
65
Posts

Drives: 2013 F30 335
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

I used to run catless with the CG R1 straight pipes, but that was stupid loud (shook the house when I fired up in the garage), stopped being fun after 2 weeks (droned suuuper bad at 3k) and I eventually got pulled over for it. So I sold it and bought the Agency Power catback system. Love that exhaust to death. Its got a side branch resonator on the midpipe section and 3 normal resonators throughout, so it's wonderfully loud but doesn't drone on the highway. Also the exhaust tips have removable baffles so you can slightly the volume. My only gripe is the rear sections sits too high and my tips are starting to melt the exhaust cutouts on my bumper, but that's not the end of the world for me.

Anyway, to answer your question, going catless isn't a huge risk. If you get pulled over your car is off so CHP won't smell how rich your exhaust is so how could they know what you have installed. High flow catted will never be as loud as catless. For the ultimate LOUD you're gonna want a straight pipe catback system with no mufflers.

If you want I can take a video of my system when I find the chance.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 03:18 AM   #4
iseven
Private First Class
iseven's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
110
Posts

Drives: F30 335i
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: San Jose, CA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I run Catless with Boral ATAK, do it, you will love it. Its loud but not too loud to be annoying. You will not get pulled over unless you are doing something stupid.
__________________
2012 F30 335i | M Preformance Aero | Borla ATAK | KW V1 | R1 Slotted & Drilled Rotors + Pads | Injen intake | Bootmod3| VRSF DP | ER 7" Comp FMIC. --- @slow_f30
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 02:30 PM   #5
anrec330
Private First Class
43
Rep
100
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

I went catless dp and straight piped because everyone claimed it would be loud. In all honestly it's not that loud at all. Just drones a lot around 3k Rpms.

My E46 M3 would absolutely destroy my 335 when it comes to loud exhaust.


Will post videos of both later today.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 01:26 AM   #6
eluded
2JZ-GTE
eluded's Avatar
Bulgaria
2104
Rep
2,989
Posts

Drives: 340 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Sofia

iTrader: (0)

Careless only. High flow not worth it
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 11:19 PM   #7
tzlopez13
Ya Boi
tzlopez13's Avatar
6
Rep
28
Posts

Drives: "Rising Sun" F30 335i
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Fullerton, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iseven View Post
I run Catless with Boral ATAK, do it, you will love it. Its loud but not too loud to be annoying. You will not get pulled over unless you are doing something stupid.
Awesome!
I had some questions for you if you don't mind

1)
Running a catless in California is pretty risky, as I've heard. What are your thoughts on it? And how easy do you believe it is to get caught running a catless dp?
2)
Does switching to a catless dp void your BMW Warranty? What about the JB4?

PS
We follow each other on instagram I'm @aka.f30
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 06:37 PM   #8
iseven
Private First Class
iseven's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
110
Posts

Drives: F30 335i
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: San Jose, CA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzlopez13 View Post
Awesome!
I had some questions for you if you don't mind

1)
Running a catless in California is pretty risky, as I've heard. What are your thoughts on it? And how easy do you believe it is to get caught running a catless dp?
2)
Does switching to a catless dp void your BMW Warranty? What about the JB4?

PS
We follow each other on instagram I'm @aka.f30
1. I had a talk with a few people, there is a risk for sure, but its not like you running catless on a integra or some rice rocket. Generally cops do not pull our cars over unless its something very obvious. I run some e85 and my smell is not as bad as others I have heard. Also when I see a cop or when I am near them, I do not rev or just switch to eco and chill out. I have not ran into trouble, there are tons of guys in the bay and on this forum that runs catless without problems.

2. Yes, that will void BMW Warranty if they see it on. I would remove it before taking it into service. Same for JB4 if they know its there. JB4 is fairly easy to remove and re install. I do not have any more warranty so =)

PS. Love your car, That red is fire!
__________________
2012 F30 335i | M Preformance Aero | Borla ATAK | KW V1 | R1 Slotted & Drilled Rotors + Pads | Injen intake | Bootmod3| VRSF DP | ER 7" Comp FMIC. --- @slow_f30
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 06:55 PM   #9
tzlopez13
Ya Boi
tzlopez13's Avatar
6
Rep
28
Posts

Drives: "Rising Sun" F30 335i
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Fullerton, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iseven View Post
1. I had a talk with a few people, there is a risk for sure, but its not like you running catless on a integra or some rice rocket. Generally cops do not pull our cars over unless its something very obvious. I run some e85 and my smell is not as bad as others I have heard. Also when I see a cop or when I am near them, I do not rev or just switch to eco and chill out. I have not ran into trouble, there are tons of guys in the bay and on this forum that runs catless without problems.

2. Yes, that will void BMW Warranty if they see it on. I would remove it before taking it into service. Same for JB4 if they know its there. JB4 is fairly easy to remove and re install. I do not have any more warranty so =)

PS. Love your car, That red is fire!
Thanks man Same to you. That white is clean.

Also, I don't suppose you have a clip or something showcasing your exhaust setup? It would be really helpful to hear the difference between my catted ATAK and your tuned catless ATAK. Or if you know of a link somewhere to a clip of something similar or the same as your setup?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 07:23 PM   #10
chaungo
=D
chaungo's Avatar
Canada
1090
Rep
1,868
Posts

Drives: 13' 335ix
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Quebec

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzlopez13 View Post
Thanks man Same to you. That white is clean.

Also, I don't suppose you have a clip or something showcasing your exhaust setup? It would be really helpful to hear the difference between my catted ATAK and your tuned catless ATAK. Or if you know of a link somewhere to a clip of something similar or the same as your setup?
I got two. First one is catted and second is catless.









__________________
2013 335i xDrive
Bootmod3, Pure Stage 2, Pure Inlet, GFB DV+, AFE Pro Dry S Drop-in Filter, ER CP/TIC CP, ER Catless DP, ATM FMIC, Borla ATAK, Dinan Springs, Dinan Shockware, XHP ZF8AT Stage 3, xDelete
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 01:48 AM   #11
iseven
Private First Class
iseven's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
110
Posts

Drives: F30 335i
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: San Jose, CA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzlopez13 View Post
Thanks man Same to you. That white is clean.

Also, I don't suppose you have a clip or something showcasing your exhaust setup? It would be really helpful to hear the difference between my catted ATAK and your tuned catless ATAK. Or if you know of a link somewhere to a clip of something similar or the same as your setup?
I will record something tomorrow after work.
__________________
2012 F30 335i | M Preformance Aero | Borla ATAK | KW V1 | R1 Slotted & Drilled Rotors + Pads | Injen intake | Bootmod3| VRSF DP | ER 7" Comp FMIC. --- @slow_f30
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
catless downpipe, catted downpipe, f30, smog

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:07 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST