F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Ipad -Advice please
GetBMWParts

04-05-2020, 08:44 AM   #1
Witney
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model-Y LR

Ipad -Advice please

This may be a very obvious question, if fact I am sure it is, but I would appreciate some feedback on the various new iPads before I splurge a load of money!

I have an older version, but looking to upgrade to one which uses the Apple Pencil. What I really want the iPad to do is allow me to annotate documents which have been prepared by others so that they can be emailed back so they can amend them. At the moment I print stuff out and then have to scan in my manuscript changes.

I am assuming that one can do this easily on the new iPad with PDFs or similar, but would appreciate any feedback on how good the iPads are to do this.

Many thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 09:09 AM   #2
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M440i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witney View Post
This may be a very obvious question, if fact I am sure it is, but I would appreciate some feedback on the various new iPads before I splurge a load of money!

I have an older version, but looking to upgrade to one which uses the Apple Pencil. What I really want the iPad to do is allow me to annotate documents which have been prepared by others so that they can be emailed back so they can amend them. At the moment I print stuff out and then have to scan in my manuscript changes.

I am assuming that one can do this easily on the new iPad with PDFs or similar, but would appreciate any feedback on how good the iPads are to do this.

Many thanks in advance.
Pro and Air work well with the pencil. Most reviewers say the non-laminated glass on the 7th gen is too thick and what you write appears to be underneath the screen rather than on it.

Not sure what app you'd need to do what you want but there are probably loads out there.

Some further comments on the What Stuff Do Bought thread.
Appreciate 1
Witney205.50
      04-07-2020, 12:44 AM   #3
frazervalley
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive

I would suggest checking out reviews on YouTube. I just upgraded to the iPad Pro 11 inch and I am very happy with it. I use it primarily for online forums, email and storing my digital photographs. It is fast, has a nice quality screen and is more lightweight than the older iPad I was using. I also upgraded to an optic fibre internet connection and the faster upload and download speed is noticeable.
I am sampling the lower speed and I think it will be adequate as we are only two in this household. Faster speeds are available for more money.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 01:55 AM   #4
Mr Burt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 340

Apple are currently doing 0% finance over 24 months.
I may be tempted!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 02:48 AM   #5
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedsRedBaby View Post
Pro and Air work well with the pencil. Most reviewers say the non-laminated glass on the 7th gen is too thick and what you write appears to be underneath the screen rather than on it.

Not sure what app you'd need to do what you want but there are probably loads out there.

I thought the Apple Pencil only works on the iPad Pro?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 03:10 AM   #6
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Quote:

All the current models are compatible with Apple pencil. The new Pro uses the 2nd gen pencil, which charges wirelessly and costs £30 more.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 03:12 AM   #7
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

All the current models are compatible with Apple pencil. The new Pro uses the 2nd gen pencil, which charges wirelessly and costs £30 more.
Oh, I didn't know they'd added pencil support to the low end iPads! Looks like I advised my sister in law incorrectly last month then!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 03:24 AM   #8
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oh, I didn't know they'd added pencil support to the low end iPads! Looks like I advised my sister in law incorrectly last month then!
Oops. I think the Air's the best value of the current crop. The 7th gen is a bit unrefined and for most uses I don't think the Pro justifies the extra cost.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 03:27 AM   #9
Chas325
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31 325d MSport

Quote:
Pencil support in the regular iPad came with iPad 2018 and subsequent. Pencil 2 is only compatible with the later iPad Pros
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 03:41 AM   #10
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas325 View Post
Quote:
Pencil support in the regular iPad came with iPad 2018 and subsequent. Pencil 2 is only compatible with the later iPad Pros
Ok, I bought my Pro at end of 2017, so guess my knowledge is based on that generation!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 06:43 AM   #11
Archer-s
Captain
Rep
Drives: on order

I would go for the one with the Lidar camera if the price difference isn’t massive
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 07:15 AM   #12
Squintstream
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 435i M Sport

I don't use a pencil, but went for the Air myself, which supports the Gen 1 Pencil, smart keyboard etc.

My main reasons were; price and the 3.5mm headphone socket (allowing me to continue to use my older Bose headphones).

Whatever you choose, I would strongly recommend you use the Apple Refurbished site (https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/refurbished/ipad). Although it states this on the box, it's effectively brand new with the same 1 year warranty and I saved a total of £90!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 09:50 AM   #13
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Glad I just went for the new Pro. Last time I bought one was 7 years ago. I couldn’t bring myself to buy the Air that externally looks just the same as the one I’m getting rid of.

Might be quite a bit more to buy, but at buy now pay in 12 months, and a likely lifespan of at least 5 years I’m glad I went for something that feels like a proper upgrade to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 05:08 PM   #14
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

I have a 2018 iPad Pro 11" which I sometimes use with Apple Pencil, although not as much as I thought I would.

Document annotation within email, for example, is natively integrated. With two years having passed I expect Pencil to be even more versatile it's the new models.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0