F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Company car insurance problem
Extreme Powerhouse

04-10-2020, 03:09 AM   #1
nickcuprar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320D Sport Step Auto

For work (Account manager) I have a company car for social and business use provided through Lex. Last year I came back to find someone had scraped the side of it whilst it was parked(not badly) so I rang Lex to notify them of the damage, they booked it in with a repair centre.

Before it went in for the repair someone went into the back of me at a RAB. I called lex immediately because of the accident and asked them to get all the work done at the same time.

Just tried to renew my bike insurance and they have under my name two accidents that were both my fault. I haven't called them yet to query these.......

But It looks as though Lex have made two claims on the insurance 1) for the car park ding 2) for the incident at the RAB. Trouble is both are down as my fault and now sit at two claims within 3 weeks of each other.......

I also have a van and my wife's car to get insurance on. I'm only 28 and had 10 years (almost exactly ) up to the date of the first incident of NCB which I've probably now lost! So I'm terrified the costs are gonna rocket.

Can I argue the car park ding should not be classed as an accident? Naively I didn't think when I reported it how it would affect the insurance. If it was my personal car I would have paid the cost. Both claims were estimated at £1000 from what I can see from my bike paperwork from the auto repair centre

Has any company car driver had any experience with dealing with this before and what's the best thing to do?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 04:43 AM   #2
DB118D
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118d Sport

The rear ender shouldn't be classed as fault for starters. They should have recovered all costs from whoever shunted you.

As for the car park ding, they have no way of recovering the cost from a 3rd party, so is classed as fault. It may have been better to leave it and hand it back with the scrape (depending on your company's policy on recovery of damage on handbacks)
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 08:56 AM   #3
nickcuprar
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB118D View Post
The rear ender shouldn't be classed as fault for starters. They should have recovered all costs from whoever shunted you.

As for the car park ding, they have no way of recovering the cost from a 3rd party, so is classed as fault. It may have been better to leave it and hand it back with the scrape (depending on your company's policy on recovery of damage on handbacks)
Thanks for the reply,

Yeah I'll have to have a word about the rear ender as you say that can't be my fault, the guy admitted liability at the road side also.

Yeah I think I've just learnt lesson that maybe I should have not said anything untill I handed the car back.

I guess if it had been my own car I would have had to pay the repair costs regardless so maybe I just take it on the chin.

Seems abit harsh to lose 10 years NCB for a scrape in a car park and someone gone into the back of me

I'm in hospitals every day and so the car is vulnerable to car park dings
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 09:35 AM   #4
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

And for Insurance Company's, if you have your car stolen, even from a locked garage, it's your fault!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 12:21 PM   #5
Pobsey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 F31 330d / 2010 e87 118d

I had something similar, until your insurers have the cheque form the 3rd party it’s still classed as a fault claim. Mine took over 6 months to get paid and I kicked up a stink and they didn’t charge the extra ( was told that I would have been reimbursed the extra on my premium)
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 01:55 PM   #6
nickcuprar
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pobsey View Post
I had something similar, until your insurers have the cheque form the 3rd party it’s still classed as a fault claim. Mine took over 6 months to get paid and I kicked up a stink and they didn’t charge the extra ( was told that I would have been reimbursed the extra on my premium)
Interesting thanks for the info with this. I still can't believe it takes so long to get stuff settled. Tbh I haven't herd anything from the insurance company, no witness statements or anything.
Appreciate 0