F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Experience with 10.25" android 7.1 HU's
GetBMWParts

06-20-2019, 04:12 PM   #2377
Arkaitz
Rep
Drives: Bmw e82

Anyone is able to use the idrive wheel with autokit and carplay dongle?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 01:56 AM   #2378
laviniu
Registered
Rep
Drives: F32

For me the trick seems to be to wait in iDrive mode at least 2-3 minutes, ideally more to me absolutely sure that everything finished booted on the Android side. After that I can start Waze and Spotify and it's stable for as long as I drive in 99% of cases (I still get the error sometimes bit not nearly as often).

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullrespect View Post
Hello, have you find some more infos about this issue? I'm having the very same problem with an Andream 2GB Android 7.1 headunit. As far as I discovered, the issue is heat related and almost every demanding app (Waze, YouTube etc.) will crash it really quick.

I've been in touch with the seller and he gave me a firmware update which made the situation even worse.

Thanks!

P.S. Daca ai mai multe informatii sau posibile rezolvari, te rog da-mi un mesaj privat. Mersi si succes!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 02:53 AM   #2379
__fred__
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 series E60, Mercedes S

I think it's not very useful to have EventCenter.apk have all patches, and as a user you're unable to toggle which features you want, and which ones you don't. So I started a settings app.
For now it's only a mockup, but within a few days it should be functional and I will release the source.

Ow, and it's in typescript with React-Native, not in Java or Kotlin. Why? Because I wanted to learn a new framework, and I just hate how unproductive you are with the default android studio. Java is way to verbose, kotlin is a little better, but still, the Android API. Way too verbose, way to slow, takes too much time.

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 03:02 AM   #2380
koutsouk
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by __fred__ View Post
I think it's not very useful to have EventCenter.apk have all patches, and as a user you're unable to toggle which features you want, and which ones you don't. So I started a settings app.
For now it's only a mockup, but within a few days it should be functional and I will release the source.

Ow, and it's in typescript with React-Native, not in Java or Kotlin. Why? Because I wanted to learn a new framework, and I just hate how unproductive you are with the default android studio. Java is way to verbose, kotlin is a little better, but still, the Android API. Way too verbose, way to slow, takes too much time.

If you manage to add in these settings app the shutdown timer you will be a HERO!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 03:18 AM   #2381
__fred__
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorebigideas View Post
THIS GUY!!! Amazing. Don't know how I can thank you enough... Will send you beers from Salzburg (I've moved for work!) unless you're interested in a crate of Red Bull???
Hehehe, I'd rather have beer than Red Bull. But you don't have to really ;-)
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 03:19 AM   #2382
__fred__
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by koutsouk View Post
If you manage to add in these settings app the shutdown timer you will be a HERO!!!
Probably yes. Will take some time though. Don't have much time, so it takes weeks unfortunately to achieve some stuff ;-)
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 03:20 AM   #2383
koutsouk
Private First Class
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Probably yes. Will take some time though. Don't have much time, so it takes weeks unfortunately to achieve some stuff ;-)
we are not in a harry !
We are living with it 2 years now , it will not harm to wait a bit more !!!
Take your time friend !!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 03:41 AM   #2384
amfgray
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 3d

Quote:
i think it's not possible, cause in 3 mins car shut down all the power on nbt and other multimedia stuff (x5 f15 nbt).
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 03:44 AM   #2385
__fred__
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amfgray View Post
i think it's not possible, cause in 3 mins car shut down all the power on nbt and other multimedia stuff (x5 f15 nbt).
It will not shut down the permanent power on the head unit. The shutdown of the unit is entirely software only.

Of topic:
(Updated the wiki on rooting and recovery). https://github.com/chinesebmwheaduni...github.io/wiki
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2019, 03:55 AM   #2386
koutsouk
Private First Class
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Well in CCC the car shuts down idrive after 8 minutes if nothing is playing.
If radio is on it stays on longer !
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 04:45 AM   #2387
RuLzgzF30
Enlisted Member
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Does anyone know if the front camera can be turned on when sensors such as the reversing camera are activated?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 04:58 AM   #2388
__fred__
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuLzgzF30 View Post
Does anyone know if the front camera can be turned on when sensors such as the reversing camera are activated?
There was someone a few pages back who switched the signal with an additional box. I think this is the only solution.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 05:00 AM   #2389
fullrespect
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by laviniu View Post
For me the trick seems to be to wait in iDrive mode at least 2-3 minutes, ideally more to me absolutely sure that everything finished booted on the Android side. After that I can start Waze and Spotify and it's stable for as long as I drive in 99% of cases (I still get the error sometimes bit not nearly as often).
Thank you! I will try your iDrive fix and report back my feedback, hopefully a positive one.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 05:20 AM   #2390
dice66
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW 320IC e46

Quote:
It will not shut down the permanent power on the head unit. The shutdown of the unit is entirely software only.

Of topic:
(Updated the wiki on rooting and recovery). https://github.com/chinesebmwheaduni...github.io/wiki
Hey __fred__,
The recovery process worked on the Android 8.1 px6 doughterboard.
Placement is a little different but the same technique applies.
Also i should mention that a quality USB cable was required.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 05:31 AM   #2391
koutsouk
Private First Class
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dice66 View Post
Hey __fred__,
The recovery process worked on the Android 8.1 px6 doughterboard.
Placement is a little different but the same technique applies.
Also i should mention that a quality USB cable was required.
How you flashed the 8.1 firmware since this is not an img file?
Are the pins the same as the android 7.1 ?
How you power on the unit on the bench ? Which pins do you use for power???

Many questions i know , but these can be useful if something goes wrong with our units !!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 06:12 AM   #2392
antonius2018
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F32

I just found that there is an option that allows us to reboot the system avoiding the wait of 2/3 minutes after turning the ignition off before being able to restart the unit.
I hope it will be useful to someone who did not know that yet.
Note: This is in Android 8.1, I don't know if 7.1 has the same option.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 07:11 AM   #2393
dice66
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW 320IC e46

Quote:
How you flashed the 8.1 firmware since this is not an img file?
Are the pins the same as the android 7.1 ?
How you power on the unit on the bench ? Which pins do you use for power???

Many questions i know , but these can be useful if something goes wrong with our units !!
I did all this a while back, i remember i managed to flash the image by renaming it the way it asked.
But you can gain access to the system via usb adb and troubleshoot from there.
Also data/factory reset help.

For the pinout, from what i've read here they seem to be the same, i read a post where someone used the same wire harness when doing an upgrade from the old 7.1 unit to the new 8.1 one.

Using the diagram attached, to power it up on the bench you need to supply 12v to the ACC pin, and Gnd to gnd of course.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 10:05 AM   #2394
koutsouk
Private First Class
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dice66 View Post
I did all this a while back, i remember i managed to flash the image by renaming it the way it asked.
But you can gain access to the system via usb adb and troubleshoot from there.
Also data/factory reset help.

For the pinout, from what i've read here they seem to be the same, i read a post where someone used the same wire harness when doing an upgrade from the old 7.1 unit to the new 8.1 one.

Using the diagram attached, to power it up on the bench you need to supply 12v to the ACC pin, and Gnd to gnd of course.
Well as i see reflashing 8.1 is a different procedure.
You cannot use RKBATCH tool because the firmware it is not an .img file
from what you write i assume that you entered recovery mode and flash it from there but if the unit is bricked you cannot enter recovery mode.
That for i ask you how you did it !
If there is another way to flash with a tool and someone knows please share!
Thank for the diagram !
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 10:10 AM   #2395
antonius2018
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F32

A little experience I did: I patched the Launcher3.apk so that the order of the tiles is different, the tile of the dashboard does not show any more a speedometer at 87,5 km/h (it has a another image) and the Originalcar image is the one of my F32 and not a X3 as it was before. I also changed the messages on each title.

I also changed the dashboard apk to correct the translation and to show only 2 doors and not four doors (we still see a bit of the back right door, I must correct it yet ).

Thank you Chris for showing me the way!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Kri1083.50
      06-21-2019, 10:50 AM   #2396
amfgray
Rep

Quote:
Well as i see reflashing 8.1 is a different procedure.
You cannot use RKBATCH tool because the firmware it is not an .img file
from what you write i assume that you entered recovery mode and flash it from there but if the unit is bricked you cannot enter recovery mode.
That for i ask you how you did it !
If there is another way to flash with a tool and someone knows please share!
Thank for the diagram !
and even if You get inside recovery mode - there is no way to choose anything there cause usb keyboard or any other device are not working
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 10:51 AM   #2397
amfgray
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonius2018 View Post
A little experience I did: I patched the Launcher3.apk so that the order of the tiles is different, the tile of the dashboard does not show any more a speedometer at 87,5 km/h (it has a another image) and the Originalcar image is the one of my F32 and not a X3 as it was before. I also changed the messages on each title.

I also changed the dashboard apk to correct the translation and to show only 2 doors and not four doors (we still see a bit of the back right door, I must correct it yet ).

Thank you Chris for showing me the way!
Looks great! How did You change the order of titles and maybe You found the way how to assign other music player by pressing music title?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 10:59 AM   #2398
koutsouk
Private First Class
Greece
Rep

Quote:
and even if You get inside recovery mode - there is no way to choose anything there cause usb keyboard or any other device are not working
That is not entirely truth . I have managed to connect a usb keyboard while in recovery mode . The way was to boot with the usb keyboard connected to tha usb port. But not all the keyboards work . Actually the one that was usb wireless worked and not the usb cable keyboard.
Although the keyboard was recognized the recovery was basic. Only had two options. Reset and try again.
But that is not a flash procedure anyway!
Appreciate 0