F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > 2015 335i Rear Wheel Brake Dust/Rust Build Up
Extreme Powerhouse

09-16-2019, 02:53 PM   #1
shawnmeyer1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

2015 335i Rear Wheel Brake Dust/Rust Build Up

Greetings,

2015 335i owner here, 57,700 miles and I've encountered a large amount of brake dust/rust built up on the inside of the wheels.

Have tried a few methods of trying to get this discoloration off but with no luck.

Any tips, ideas, etc would be appreciated!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 01:58 PM   #2
shawnmeyer1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Help?! Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 03:17 PM   #3
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Dremel with wire brush attachment or steel wool to get it off. Then use some high-temp grill paint to cover.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 05:57 PM   #4
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Are the rotors still original? What is the state of the rotors and pads - to be replaced soon?

Rust is unfortunately inevitable (even in OC!) with high mileage rotors.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 12:42 AM   #5
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnmeyer1 View Post
Greetings,

2015 335i owner here, 57,700 miles and I've encountered a large amount of brake dust/rust built up on the inside of the wheels.

Have tried a few methods of trying to get this discoloration off but with no luck.

Any tips, ideas, etc would be appreciated!
In your post you said rust inside the wheels, but your photos are showing rust on the rotor hats.

With your mileage if you are due to replace your pads and rotors soon then go with Zimmermann rotors. They are high quality German rotors at a much lower price and best of all, unlike BMW rotors, Zimmermann rotors come coated against rust.

If you want to get rid of rust on your original rotors two methods have worked great for me.

1) The most thorough rust removal method is to remove the rotors from the car, place them upside dow outside in a plastic container with a lid and total cover them with vinegar for 24 hours. Buy about 3-4 gallons of Vinegar from Sam's Club or Walmart for <$10. The vinegar will bubble off the rust and turn brown. Save the original bottles to discard used vinegar.

Buy wire brush, Formula 409, shallow/open plastic oil drain pan, and brake cleaner, all cheap at Walmart. Scrub the remaining rust off with wire brush and liberal sprays of Formula 409. Finish by spraying down the rotors with brake cleaner inside the side vanes and all over.

Brush on G2 Caliper Paint (~$45 at TireRack) in Silver color on the sides of the rotor hats. I did not paint the mating surfaces between the rotor hat and road wheel which can technically screw up the torque of wheel bolts as paint material compresses. Be sure to follow air temperature and other instructions from G2 for perfect sprayed on looking results. See G2USA website.

2) Great results can be obtained without removing rotors from the car. Place car on jack stands and remove road wheels. One corner at a time, place oil drain pan under rotor, spray on lots of Formula 409 and scrub all around rotor hat with wire brush. Turn rotor by hand to access all sides completely. Clean off completely with brake cleaner. Brush on G2 Silver Caliper Paint onto sides of rotor hat. Turn rotor by hand to paint completely.

Two caveats:
A) Buy extra silver handled brushes since G2 only supplies one in kit. They are $3 for a pack of 36 at Harbor Freight. Great for applying glue or grease for other projects.

B) Gotta find or borrow four jack stands to paint all four rotors at once. G2 is a two part epoxy type paint with a limited amount of time once its mixed. Or you can buy two G2 Silver kits and do two wheels at a time.

See attached photos of G2 Silver on sides of what were rusty rotor hats, and G2 Black on calipers.

FYI- the photo of the rotor and calipers off the car is not a photo after they were freshly painted. It's a photo after they were painted and then driven for a year and 12k miles. G2 wears like iron. It cleans right off and always looks freshly painted.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Last edited by johnung; 09-22-2019 at 12:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 08:37 AM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

The above advise is good, but I recommend PlastiKote spray caliper paint. I retouch my rotor hubs and calipers yearly, when I rotate the tires and have the wheels off anyway.
Appreciate 0