F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > New Front Tension Arm and LCA Bushing Solution!
proTUNING Freaks

10-12-2019, 09:55 AM   #23
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 335i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
Got my LCA with bushings in the mail today! Huge shoutout to VAC for sending them out to arrive in time for my alignment this weekend. Going to get them installed tomorrow morning. These things look super good and robust! Hopefully they stand up to the amount of driving I do (unlike the superpro ones). Farkie and I will be doing a video on the install and also one comparing the superpro to this one from VAC. Looking forward to seeing how the superpro bushing has held up and what shape it's in. I have a significant amount of play in my LCA on the driverside right now so I'm excited to tighten things up again.
Fantastic! Looks like you're having a good weekend! Looking forward to your video!😁

I finally got my rear alignment problem sorted. The eccentric camber bolts wouldn't hold anymore. So I replaced them. Thinking of making some eccentric lockouts. But I may talk to VAC and see if they have any other ideas first.
Got some miles on the arms. Finally. Man they felt good! Finally this car feels tight and responsive, the way a BMW was meant to be. Can't wait to try them on track next week. That is, if I can get the brake issue taken care of by then. Sticky caliper. 🙄
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 10:13 PM   #24
andino
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 328i xdrive

Installed the VAC LCA bushing today with Farkie. Turns out that its not a poly bushing but actually a monoball. Initial impressions are very positive. Much faster response from inputs over a poly bushing and less "settling" time between inputs. Things are pretty much instantanious now and it's very apparent driving mine and farkie's car back to back. His car is the same KMAC tension strut bushing but he has the KMAC LCA bushing installed. Things just feel slightly crisper on my car with the VAC bushing with a bit more feel transmitted through the wheel.
FaRKle!4006.50
skier_du147.50
      10-13-2019, 12:51 AM   #25
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Our overview and initial driving impressions are now up!

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 6
andino479.50
Logicoeur989.50
skier_du147.50
exE36M3487.50
eleven11370.00
      10-14-2019, 09:39 AM   #26
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Our overview and initial driving impressions are now up!

Quote:
Installed the VAC LCA bushing today with Farkie. Turns out that its not a poly bushing but actually a monoball. Initial impressions are very positive. Much faster response from inputs over a poly bushing and less "settling" time between inputs. Things are pretty much instantanious now and it's very apparent driving mine and farkie's car back to back. His car is the same KMAC tension strut bushing but he has the KMAC LCA bushing installed. Things just feel slightly crisper on my car with the VAC bushing with a bit more feel transmitted through the wheel.
Nice review guys! I agree with your review of them. However, personally, having had poly and these, I'd skip poly. It wasn't worth it to me.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 10:15 AM   #27
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMOTION View Post
That looks heavyduty! Whats the backstory on this? Stiffening up the front end of your XI?
Quote:
Just realized I did get back to you with the back story. It actually starts with my E90. The car was all over the road. Sometimes jump off to the side by a couple feet when hitting the brakes on the highway. Scary when next to a truck! Figured out it was the tension strut hydro bushings. Replaced them and the car was solid. Looked into the LCA bushings at the same time, but discovered the xi has a factory ball style, similar to the M3. When I got the f30 (July 2017 but didn't get the bushings in until September), I decided I was going to replace the tension strut bushings shortly after acquiring the car. I was disappointed to find the LCA in the f30 was a rubber bushing. It definitely added to a slightly disconnected feeling with sluggish steering response since there was that bonding time of the rubber with every steering input. Since I was going to track the car, I changed those at the same time with Powerflex black race bushings. The car immediately felt better. But there was always a little vagueness in the steering. The vagueness seemed to get worst over time. After less than a year I noticed a vibration when I turned the steering, even just changing lanes on the highway. So I got under the car check it out. The LCA bushings had split in both sides. I got them replaced under warranty. But the car has become less steady under braking as well. Also the cornering vibration returned on the track in less than a year (August this summer). That's when I approached VAC with how disappointed I was with the bushings and options out there.
Appreciate 1
FaRKle!4006.50
      10-14-2019, 10:59 AM   #28
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

@skier_du - thank you for the backstory. I backed off Poly's for my LCAs for the same reasons you mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 04:37 PM   #29
andino
Captain
Rep

Just got back from a trackday with the LCA monoballs from VAC. They held up super well on track and steering input is super quick to happen with these. So fast that I really had to practice my slow hands with them. Upgrading the UCA to a monoball along with these LCA monoballs from VAC gets a huge thumbs up from me.

Also I've put about 2k miles on them since installing them 2 weeks ago. I had a road trip from SF to San Clemente and the car is super livable with these LCA monoballs as well. No noticeable added NVH over poly bushings with my setup.
skier_du147.50
      10-27-2019, 08:50 PM   #30
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just got back from a trackday with the LCA monoballs from VAC. They held up super well on track and steering input is super quick to happen with these. So fast that I really had to practice my slow hands with them. Upgrading the UCA to a monoball along with these LCA monoballs from VAC gets a huge thumbs up from me.

Also I've put about 2k miles on them since installing them 2 weeks ago. I had a road trip from SF to San Clemente and the car is super livable with these LCA monoballs as well. No noticeable added NVH over poly bushings with my setup.
Very nice!
I had a track day last weekend as well, just didn't get to post. I agree, turn in is just amazing. The car is almost telepathic. I'm sure there are still cars that communicate more (older cars with hydraulic steering most likely), but it feels really good now. My confidence in the car is way up. I had an instructor last year, when I was testing to move up class, comment that he couldn't understand why I was so hesitant to go near the edge of the track. Also my friend from VAC (and racer) commented that I wasn't using all the track. It's because with the poly bushes the car wasn't consistent and very imprecise in how it responded to steering inputs. Now it does exactly what I want when I want it. Now my comment from a friend, following me on the track, was that I kept kicking up all the dirt from the edge of the track at their car (sorry). Can't say how much the mono-balls have made me fall in love with my car!
I also agree that it's very livable on the street. While more is being communicated through the steering wheel, there is not more harshness. The car is just as stable and confidence inspiring on the street and highways as it is on the track.
So far I like all the mods on my car, but this is the one that lets the car shine. Definitely my favorite mod!
Appreciate 1
andino479.50
      10-28-2019, 12:16 PM   #31
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

you guys have a SKU number for these? I'm not being successful in finding these on their website. looking for both LCA and tension strut bushings.

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids

Last edited by JaredG_F30; 10-28-2019 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 05:22 PM   #32
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredG_F30 View Post
you guys have a SKU number for these? I'm not being successful in finding these on their website. looking for both LCA and tension strut bushings.
They don't have them on their website officially yet. I was their first test car. But if you call their sales department and ask for it they'll know that you're talking about and help you out.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 06:01 PM   #33
andino
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I think they're still undergoing testing. I emailed them and they were able to send a set out to me after taking payment over the phone.
      10-29-2019, 08:54 AM   #34
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

How much for the set?

Quote:
I think they're still undergoing testing. I emailed them and they were able to send a set out to me after taking payment over the phone.

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 10:16 AM   #35
andino
Captain
Rep

Quote:
How much for the set?
I have a test set but I think that they're going to retail for $550 including brand new OEM arms. That's competitive with the price from Turner or sourcing a set of fresh arms for the KMAC bushings.
      10-29-2019, 11:44 AM   #36
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Do you have to get new arms? Seems like you could just press out the old and install the new.

Quote:
I have a test set but I think that they're going to retail for $550 including brand new OEM arms. That's competitive with the price from Turner or sourcing a set of fresh arms for the KMAC bushings.

SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 12:02 PM   #37
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Was it $550 for Thrust and Lower Control arm sets?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 12:23 PM   #38
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How much for the set?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How much for the set?
Quote:
Do you have to get new arms? Seems like you could just press out the old and install the new.

Quote:
So yes, they've still been doing the testing. But if you want a set they'll do it for, even if it's a different application.
They will be competitively priced with other options currently available for the thrust arms. Although I believe they are still giving a nice introductory discount. There are currently no other mono-ball options for the LCA other than M3/m4 arms, which don't work for xDrive.
Comparing them to Turner; the VAC mono-balls have a more robust fitting that is held in with a cap and screws. I don't know what kind of ball joint Turner uses, but VAC actually ordered several from different companies to test. They picked the one with the tightest tolerances and reputation for consistency with those tolerances. They did this even though their costs are higher, but still wanting to be competitive. They have a reputation for quality and like to put that forward with everything they do.
Regarding just buying the inserts; I was told because they want to maintain quality control to keep their reputation, they are currently only offering them per-installed in new arms. Quite frankly, I feel it's a good idea since it doesn't really add a lot to our costs. Then we have completely new arms that will last a long time. Especially as this platform ages. It's been around for about seven years and some of these cars are getting upwards of 100 to 200,000 miles. Heck, my car is only a couple thousand miles shy of 100,000.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 02:24 PM   #39
andino
Captain
Rep

Quote:
This is the retail price for only the LCA arm with vac monoball installed. I don't have their UCA monoball as I already have kmac caster adjustable bushings there. If vac was also caster adjustable, I would have considered a full set or adding it on later. I'm unsure if they're planning to add this option to their monoball or not.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 03:25 PM   #40
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
This is the retail price for only the LCA arm with vac monoball installed. I don't have their UCA monoball as I already have kmac caster adjustable bushings there. If vac was also caster adjustable, I would have considered a full set or adding it on later. I'm unsure if they're planning to add this option to their monoball or not.
They will make a caster adjustable tension monoball setup if someone wants it. They have the ability to make almost anything really. Except they don't do carbon fiber stuff there.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 08:03 PM   #41
andino
Captain
Rep

Quote:
They gave me the option but it was quicker for me to get the arms ready to go this time. I don't know what the price for the bushing only will be. My arms had some miles on them already and I felt it was better to refresh the whole arm after the amount of thrashing my LCA got with the superpro bushings.
      11-04-2019, 10:45 PM   #42
pkiledj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '15 335i 6MT xDrive M-Adaptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_du View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTNYCLurk View Post
how much do these run? $
I'm not exactly sure I can post that. I'm not actually with VAC but I want to be careful what I post regarding pricing anyway. However, I know they are competitive with other products on the market and VAC mentioned to me that they will be doing an introductory special with a nice discount.
Please keep us posted on the introductory offer. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 09:28 AM   #43
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkiledj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_du View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTNYCLurk View Post
how much do these run? $
I'm not exactly sure I can post that. I'm not actually with VAC but I want to be careful what I post regarding pricing anyway. However, I know they are competitive with other products on the market and VAC mentioned to me that they will be doing an introductory special with a nice discount.
Please keep us posted on the introductory offer. Thanks!
Well like I had mentioned, their pricing is closely competitive with other options on the market. I had heard something like around a 15% introductory offer. But it could be a little different. If you call VAC sales I'm sure they'd be happy to work it out with you. They're pretty good people there and willing to chat about questions you may have, in my experience.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 02:20 PM   #44
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Hi Skier_du & Andino,

Great reviews. Looks like both of you track your cars. I have lots of questions!
Just road use, do these VAC LCA monoballs ever annoy you?
Which add more NVH, VAC LCA monoballs, or your poly UCA bushes (& by extension, VAC UCA bushes)?
IYHO, would VAC monoballs in both LCA & UCA be too much NVH for a road car?
Also, are the M3/M4 LCA arms monoballs?

TIA! Murf
Appreciate 2
pkiledj46.00
Insane435476.50