F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > 435i Gran Coupe LED tail light conversion issue
VIBE Motorsports

03-20-2018, 10:52 AM   #1
CLEsonny
Private
Rep
Drives: F36

435i Gran Coupe LED tail light conversion issue

Over the weekend I changed out my stock tail light bulbs with LEDs besides the inner tail light fog light bulb (didn't order enough bulbs). I have coded the bulbs to LED via BimmerCode. But now my inner left tail light will not operate properly. The reverse light will work on that side, but the two red strips will not illuminate. I am not throwing any error. All the lights work without an issue, besides that light illuminating.

I've attached some photos of my coding below. Since taking the screen shots, the inner tail light is now coded to LED. Any idea on what could be causing this issue?
Attached Images

03-20-2018, 11:09 AM   #2
Noelified
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36

Garage List
My first guess is a connection issue. I switched out my reverse bulbs to LED in my F36. In doing so I knocked a connection off the assembly, it's very easy to do. The assembly that houses all the bulbs needs to make a connection and 'snap' in perfectly. If it's off an 1/8" it will feel proper and tight but it's not. I would open things back up and check all connections again. I have the 4 door lifting tailgate and if memory serves me right, snapping the assembly in proper fitment also created a ground connection...could be wrong and remembering something else . Either way, check the connections again on that side. I also made the mistake of assuming the inner brake lights were not working. The inner ones only light when your over 15mph and the ABS is activated. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 11:31 AM   #3
CLEsonny
Private
Rep

LOL well this is embarrassing. You were 100% correct. Fourth time checking is a charm. Jeez. It wasn't completely snapped in. I noticed the contact that wasn't completely sat into place.
      03-20-2018, 11:40 AM   #4
Noelified
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
LOl Don't be embarrassed, the only reason I had a feeling what your problem was....because I did the same thing.

For others reading....Its the contacts 1 into connection 2 that's tricky and could feel right but not be connected properly.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 12:04 PM   #5
vooonoo
\_(ツ)_/
Rep
Drives: f30 328

Garage List
2014 f30 328i  [0.00]
How's it look all led now?... pics?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 12:12 PM   #6
CLEsonny
Private
Rep

I'll try to get some pics when the sun goes down. I'll need some assistance on taking the photos.

I mostly just wanted to change my reverse lights since I was planning to tint the windows, but said why not with the others. Reverse lights are super bright and love them.

Got them pretty cheap all on amazon. Probably a little under $100 for all the bulbs and LED fogs.
      03-20-2018, 12:29 PM   #7
Noelified
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Which reverse bulbs did you get. The ones I got are way better than OEM but still not that bright.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 03:36 PM   #8
CLEsonny
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelified View Post
Which reverse bulbs did you get. The ones I got are way better than OEM but still not that bright.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LVZWQRR?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

I would recommend these. Might be too bright for some people. I actually haven't been behind the car to see them myself yet.
      03-20-2018, 06:06 PM   #9
vooonoo
\_(ツ)_/
Rep
Drives: f30 328

Garage List
2014 f30 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEsonny View Post
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LVZWQRR?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

I would recommend these. Might be too bright for some people. I actually haven't been behind the car to see them myself yet.
Might as well ask for anyone wanting to do this, what other bulbs did you get and how many?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 09:22 PM   #10
Billfitz
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I got these for the brake lights:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These for front turn signals:

These for rear turn signals:

These for backups:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CKQP3XA...ding=UTF8&th=1
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 04:03 PM   #11
Omar.c
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 428i xdrive

Looking forward to the pics as well. I want to add leds to my f32 from ijdmtoy... but I'm hesitant because I don't know it's they are bright enough
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 07:30 AM   #12
CLEsonny
Private
Rep

Sorry, I haven't had a chance to take pictures yet, but I can tell you that it is as bright as OEM or brighter. I've been swamped at work and the third Midwest winter is making it's way through haha
      04-03-2018, 11:07 PM   #13
CLEsonny
Private
Rep

Sorry for the bad picture. I finally got someone to help take a photo.

They're pretty damn bright!

[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

04-10-2018, 08:49 AM   #14
zpepperc
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xDrive

Walkthrough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEsonny View Post
Sorry for the bad picture. I finally got someone to help take a photo.

They're pretty damn bright!

[IMG][/IMG]
I've been wanting to do this to my '15 f30! Do you know of a walkthrough available? The "coding" part of this makes me nervous.

Also - stupid question, but was it easy?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 10:04 AM   #15
CLEsonny
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpepperc View Post
I've been wanting to do this to my '15 f30! Do you know of a walkthrough available? The "coding" part of this makes me nervous.

Also - stupid question, but was it easy?
I do not know if a walk through is available. I just got in there and got at it! I was doing at my buddy's place and he recently did it to his F30, but he was just another hand if I needed help undoing some clips. It was quicker with 4 hands, but very doable with 2 hands.

Coding is pretty easy. I use BimmerCode and ODBII V-Gate. I find it very user friendly - even in expert mode. Coding my BMW is a lot easier than coding my previous VW GTI - and a lot cheaper haha!

So now all of my lights are converted to LED. Changed out the front side markers and fog lights (3000k/6000k dual color changing). I'm very happy with how it looks. It's very minor, but I like the instantaneous on/off of LEDs. I feel like it makes the car seem more luxurious and up to date.