F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N47T/N57T High Pressure Fuel Pump Limited Warranty Extension
GetBMWParts

06-10-2019, 01:28 PM   #89
heynow328D
Rep
Drives: BMW 328D

For those who are waiting until 120,000 miles to sell the car or replace the pump, the warranty extension only covers the pump failure and NOT the other $10k+ of related repairs. I confirmed this with BMW NA and local dealership. BMW may cover the rest of the repairs depending on case by case situation. It depends on: how many BMWs you own(ed), where you purchased you vehicle, mileage, how often you brought the car in for service, etc. For me, it's not a gamble I'm comfortable making. I will be replacing the pump within the next few months.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 03:33 PM   #90
MechWatch
Rep
Drives: 2000 323CiC 2014 328dX

Too much chatter on this thread. I got the attention of SSdiesel.com and they might make a CP4.1 bypass kit. Despite everyone's best efforts, the HPFP is a ticking time bomb and the truck guys have at least made keeping your shirt manageable when the doo-doo hits the fan. They said it's in their project bucket but the more people who hit them up, perhaps the sooner they make it. https://ssdiesel.com/shop/all/ford-6...pass-kit-2011/
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 02:55 PM   #91
tenman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by heynow328D View Post
For those who are waiting until 120,000 miles to sell the car or replace the pump, the warranty extension only covers the pump failure and NOT the other $10k+ of related repairs. I confirmed this with BMW NA and local dealership. BMW may cover the rest of the repairs depending on case by case situation. It depends on: how many BMWs you own(ed), where you purchased you vehicle, mileage, how often you brought the car in for service, etc. For me, it's not a gamble I'm comfortable making. I will be replacing the pump within the next few months.
I'm seeing this issue happening quite a bit in CA. If the extension does not cover surrounding components, I am convinced on getting an extended warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 05:14 PM   #92
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

There IS a lot of chatter here.

But before we get too busy applying fixes that don't really fix much... just for additional info, the superseding part from BMW has around 10 fixes to address the problem, including larger size roller on a tappet that is now fixed from spinning freely. There are DLC coatings on the cam, roller, and tappet. There are mesh screens/filters at the ports to protect the internals, and many other minor things.
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 1
CleanKM103.50
      06-25-2019, 06:14 PM   #93
heynow328D
Rep
Drives: BMW 328D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enabled View Post

But before we get too busy applying fixes that don't really fix much... just for additional info, the superseding part from BMW has around 10 fixes to address the problem, including larger size roller on a tappet that is now fixed from spinning freely. There are DLC coatings on the cam, roller, and tappet. There are mesh screens/filters at the ports to protect the internals, and many other minor things.
That's great to hear. Just for my peace of mind, where did you get the info from?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 06:41 PM   #94
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

The most that I can say about that is that it's from a private source at BMW.
Others:
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2019, 10:25 PM   #95
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:

My car isn't included on the HPFP warranty extension, hopefully that means my car has some of those incremental improvements, despite realOEM saying it might not (built before the latest PN cut in date).

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 07:41 AM   #96
335icandy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 328dX Msport Estoril Blue

The United States owners have all the fun! What about Canadian BMW diesel owners? Heard nothing, yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 08:56 PM   #97
kdog_x
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 328d

Roller
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 10:05 AM   #98
Cat Sailor
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 35d

Another theory

I bought a 2015 X5 35d out of the CPO program at the end of May 2019. Despite searching for known problems prior to the purchase I did not find this Bosch CP4 HPFP issue until just yesterday. My bad. That said, the "Certified Pre-Owned Unlimited Mileage Statement of Certification and Coverage" I received at purchase limits my warranty (with exceptions) to one year beyond the original 4 year warranty, which expires on November 11 this year. There was no mention of any extended warranties. Further, I have not received the extended warranty letter described at the top of this discussion thread as I suspect it was sent to the previous owner. I am quite PO'd at all of this so far based on reading this discussion and finding similar horror stories on forums of other vehicles using the CP4 HPFP - they are everywhere - and general info via Dr. Google. Had I known of this prior to purchase I likely would have backed out. I will be questioning the CPO dealer about whether the extended warranty applies to me and, if so, why wasn't it documented within my purchase documents?

Regardless, I did find some technical info not mentioned so far in this discussion >> As documented in the June 2019 issue of Diesel World magazine, some outfit known as RCD Performance performed an analysis of CP4.2 failures in the US pickup truck segment and concluded that aerated fuel is the primary cause of insufficient lubrication which leads to failure. Thus, they also concluded, in addition to other precautions such as making sure fresh fuel is used, that air entrainment as might occur during fuel filter changes be minimized. Here's the money text for BMW owners for steps following fuel filter changeout >>

"Many of us know the struggle it can sometimes be priming the Duramax’s fuel system following a fuel filter change, but this is often where a lot of the CP4.2’s troubles begin. According to RCD Performance, many owners start the engine before proper priming has been performed by hand and then rev up the engine in an effort to push the air through the system before the engine dies. As far as the CP4.2 is concerned, this is the worst thing you can do. The best course of action is to prime the hand pump until it’s tight, start the engine, continue priming the filter until all air is bled out and allow the engine to idle for five minutes prior to any type of acceleration. In BMW applications that employ a CP4-based pump, it’s recommended that a program on OE scan tools be used to purge the fuel system by way of idling the engine while the VCV is cycled. The fact that this elaborate process is standard operating procedure for such a seemingly simple maintenance item leads us to believe that BMW knows how damaging air can be for the CP4."

The VCV is the volume control valve in the HPFP.

Can anyone speak to the process BMW maintenance departments use during fuel filter changes?

Dave
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 10:51 AM   #99
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Sailor View Post
I bought a 2015 X5 35d out of the CPO program at the end of May 2019. Despite searching for known problems prior to the purchase I did not find this Bosch CP4 HPFP issue until just yesterday. My bad. That said, the "Certified Pre-Owned Unlimited Mileage Statement of Certification and Coverage" I received at purchase limits my warranty (with exceptions) to one year beyond the original 4 year warranty, which expires on November 11 this year. There was no mention of any extended warranties. Further, I have not received the extended warranty letter described at the top of this discussion thread as I suspect it was sent to the previous owner. I am quite PO'd at all of this so far based on reading this discussion and finding similar horror stories on forums of other vehicles using the CP4 HPFP - they are everywhere - and general info via Dr. Google. Had I known of this prior to purchase I likely would have backed out. I will be questioning the CPO dealer about whether the extended warranty applies to me and, if so, why wasn't it documented within my purchase documents?

Regardless, I did find some technical info not mentioned so far in this discussion >> As documented in the June 2019 issue of Diesel World magazine, some outfit known as RCD Performance performed an analysis of CP4.2 failures in the US pickup truck segment and concluded that aerated fuel is the primary cause of insufficient lubrication which leads to failure. Thus, they also concluded, in addition to other precautions such as making sure fresh fuel is used, that air entrainment as might occur during fuel filter changes be minimized. Here's the money text for BMW owners for steps following fuel filter changeout >>

"Many of us know the struggle it can sometimes be priming the Duramax’s fuel system following a fuel filter change, but this is often where a lot of the CP4.2’s troubles begin. According to RCD Performance, many owners start the engine before proper priming has been performed by hand and then rev up the engine in an effort to push the air through the system before the engine dies. As far as the CP4.2 is concerned, this is the worst thing you can do. The best course of action is to prime the hand pump until it’s tight, start the engine, continue priming the filter until all air is bled out and allow the engine to idle for five minutes prior to any type of acceleration. In BMW applications that employ a CP4-based pump, it’s recommended that a program on OE scan tools be used to purge the fuel system by way of idling the engine while the VCV is cycled. The fact that this elaborate process is standard operating procedure for such a seemingly simple maintenance item leads us to believe that BMW knows how damaging air can be for the CP4."

The VCV is the volume control valve in the HPFP.

Can anyone speak to the process BMW maintenance departments use during fuel filter changes?

Dave
Just type your vin here, 2015 X5 have pump extended warranty.
http://www.bmw-rp.com/production/bmw...bmw_portal.nsf
Others:
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 11:25 AM   #100
Cat Sailor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just type your vin here, 2015 X5 have pump extended warranty.
http://www.bmw-rp.com/production/bmw...bmw_portal.nsf
Thanks, Enabled - I did that and the HPFP issue comes up in a drop down menu with one other item, so I assume that means my vehicle is illegible for the extended warranty. What I don't know for sure is whether this extends to subsequent owners. I suspect it does.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 12:28 PM   #101
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Yes it will be covered until 120k miles/10 years, no matter of owner.
In case it happens, you can have costs reimbursed by BMW after you get it done at a legitimate shop, or take it to the dealer and they'll usually process it without you paying, and they'll charge warranty services directly. I assume they forward the bill to Bosch for their folly.

Note that even the CP4.2 pump received a lot of internal updates in 2017 and newer hardware, so if replaced by dealer, it will be a lot stronger than the original pump.

And yes, I agree with air contaminants in fuel, as well as condensation water mixed in causing accelerated pump failure.
Others:
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 12:42 PM   #102
Cat Sailor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Note that even the CP4.2 pump received a lot of internal updates in 2017 and newer hardware, so if replaced by dealer, it will be a lot stronger than the original pump.
Good news, and if true, a good argument to recall vehicles with susceptible pumps for a preemptive replacement, avoiding associated expenses of replacing/cleaning the rest of the fuel system, not to mention the safety aspect. In the US this means we probably have to wait for somebody to get killed first....

Dave
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 01:01 PM   #103
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Yea, we're somewhat OK, since none of the other countries even have this extension.. not even Canada, which uses the same models as we have.
It seems that BMW had to press hard to get the 120k/10 yr extension, I would think through negotiations with Bosch. VW/Audi of N.A. managed the same, but I don't see Ford/Chevy with any extensions or updated pumps.

In fact, Ford/Chevy owners can probably just use the updated BMW CP4.2 and be fine, lol.

It doesn't really create any safety issues, so a full on recall would be difficult.
Others:
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 11:56 PM   #104
CTMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i MSport/2011 E93 M3

Cruising on the highway Christmas Eve with wife and kid - first get drivetrain malfunction, then check engine... then complete loss of power. Pulled over to shoulder, shut car off, waited a moment... started up, tried to proceed (was about 20 miles from destination)... went through the above cycle several more times but arrived in one piece and had the car towed back after the holiday.

So far, diagnosis from dealer is HPFP failure which will be replaced under the extended warranty.

Should I be concerned that they haven’t mentioned replacing anything besides HPFP? I should know more soon, either way.

Side note: I’ve had this F31 for 2.5 years... it replaced a beloved X5 with bad valve stem seals, the intent being the F31 would be more “reliable” transportation. In the last year, between Covid, DPF, EGR, HPFP - about the only place I’ve driven to is the dealer, and the entire ownership experience has sucked my enthusiasm for BMWs. Can’t say I trust this particular vehicle at this point, anyway... whenever I get it back. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 09:10 AM   #105
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Atacama Yellow 35i

The diesel fuel system are recirculating. So when the pump chuffs it pushes metal bits throughout complete system. Standard protocol for BMW (and Ford, and ... the CP4 based diesel vehicles) is to replace tank to injectors and everything inbetween.

You need to validate this if you have a concern. I would not authorize work until you know what work is being done. If there is a problem, then it needs to hold and you need to work up the chain @ BMW. But I'll be surprised if you are told only pump.

I run Hot Shots Secret LX4 lubricity additive in my fuel. Pump diesel where it is commonly used, and I buy from branded known retailers, personally (Exxon and Shell for me).

Good luck!
      01-02-2021, 03:49 PM   #106
CTMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

To clarify a bit - dealer opened case with BMW regarding the HPFP, and their process was to inspect for metal and they found none. “Inspected old pump and did not find any metal or swarf- pump is clean”. So ultimately yes, HPFP bit the dust, but in such a way that no metal was found... HPFP replaced with part number 13-51-8-597-819. I picked it up today and so far no issues after the first ~30 miles.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 03:51 PM   #107
CTMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmorelli View Post
The diesel fuel system are recirculating. So when the pump chuffs it pushes metal bits throughout complete system. Standard protocol for BMW (and Ford, and ... the CP4 based diesel vehicles) is to replace tank to injectors and everything inbetween.

You need to validate this if you have a concern. I would not authorize work until you know what work is being done. If there is a problem, then it needs to hold and you need to work up the chain @ BMW. But I'll be surprised if you are told only pump.

I run Hot Shots Secret LX4 lubricity additive in my fuel. Pump diesel where it is commonly used, and I buy from branded known retailers, personally (Exxon and Shell for me).

Good luck!
Thanks for the tip on Hot Shots - I ordered some.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 06:16 PM   #108
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMike View Post
To clarify a bit - dealer opened case with BMW regarding the HPFP, and their process was to inspect for metal and they found none. “Inspected old pump and did not find any metal or swarf- pump is clean”. So ultimately yes, HPFP bit the dust, but in such a way that no metal was found... HPFP replaced with part number 13-51-8-597-819. I picked it up today and so far no issues after the first ~30 miles.
Then it is more likely that the metering unit (the control valve on the HPFP) may have failed instead. It would have been easy to change just that, but if they replaced the whole thing (with what part number it's EXCELLENT!! That pump has 20+ updates) then it covered everything.

Definitely use Hot Shots and enjoy your car.

It sounds like your dealership doesn't have terribly good diagnostic strengths.
Others:
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 12:32 PM   #109
CTMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I was summarizing quite a bit above - full notes below. Enabled, I appreciate your thoughts on the new HPFP part.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 08:04 PM   #110
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

0x247500 Rail pressure plausibility quantity controlled: rail pressure too low/positive deviation
0x247600 Rail pressure plausibility quantity controlled: rail pressure too low/positive deviation and actuation variable too high
0x271D00 Rail pressure control valve, adaptation: adaption value too low
0x248600 Rail pressure plausibility pressure-controlled: rail pressure too low/positive deviation and activation of pressure control valve too high

If no metal shavings or anything then it was likely a weird electrical failure in a valve more than mechanical issues. The pumps that die from fuel contamination and metal shavings will not be able to sustain the higher pressure as they did on their testing at all.

All looks good! Glad it didn't have that kind of failure where it contaminates everything. Still driving well?
New pump comes with new electric components.
Others:
Appreciate 1
FaRKle!4006.50