F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > AC started blowing warm air mid drive, HELP please!!
Studio RSR

10-03-2017, 06:22 AM   #1
HaloEyes
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 Msport

So as the title states, mid drive, while my ac was running cold like normal, my car started blowing warm air last week. Mind you I live in Texas.....I turned off the car for a couple of minutes as i went into the store and it started blowing cold again for the rest of the drive home. The next day or so drove fine but the issue started happening again the third day as i was driving to work. This time around, my ac has completely stopped blowing cold and now is just warm. I looked under the hood and noticed that the belt for the compressor is spinning but not the center part (the clutch?) of my compressor is spinning. I was told by an aquaintance that works at a local bmw here that it was a software issue and that I needed a conversion but he did not go in further details about it even after i asked what he meant by that (really not cool....). I've tried connecting a gauge to the low pressure charge port to check the pressure but it shows in the red right now, probably because the compressor isn't running? Any help would be much appreciated!!

I drive a 2014 F30
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 06:56 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Take it to your dealer for service. Even if you knew what the problem was you probably couldn't fix it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 06:57 AM   #3
HaloEyes
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Take it to your dealer for service. Even if you knew what the problem was you probably couldn't fix it yourself.

I'm out of warranty now so I'm trying to see if it's something simple a local shop can fix :/
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 07:03 AM   #4
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
It's something simple a local qualified independent shop can do - or almost any shop that does air conditioning repair. It's either freezing up because it's over-charged or it has lost enough refrigerant to cause the same thing. Either that, or for whatever reason, the compressor clutch is not engaging. It's not a "software thing".

When you check your low-side pressure, hook up the gauge before starting the car, then make sure the "max" button is pushed (lowers temp to 60 and fan blows full speed) in order to insure the compressor is turning. Turn off the car before removing the gauge. The low-side fitting is back towards the firewall, not the one near the left front fender.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 1
Polo088161610.00
      10-03-2017, 07:10 AM   #5
HaloEyes
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
It's something simple a local qualified independent shop can do - or almost any shop that does air conditioning repair. It's either freezing up because it's over-charged or it has lost enough refrigerant to cause the same thing. Either that, or for whatever reason, the compressor clutch is not engaging. It's not a "software thing".

When you check your low-side pressure, hook up the gauge before starting the car, then make sure the "max" button is pushed (lowers temp to 60 and fan blows full speed) in order to insure the compressor is turning. Turn off the car before removing the gauge. The low-side fitting is back towards the firewall, not the one near the left front fender.
Thank you! I'm going to try and test the pressure again today, I think it might've been that I tried attaching it after I've already started the car so I got the wrong reading
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 08:16 AM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaloEyes View Post
I'm out of warranty now so I'm trying to see if it's something simple a local shop can fix
Probably, but if they're a competent shop they don't need for you to tell them what's wrong, they'll tell you. Do a search for shops in your area that specialize in working on German cars. Even in my small town we have one.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 09:15 AM   #7
donkey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 6MT M2

I fixed it for you
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 04:31 PM   #8
Rick335i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i / 2014 328i / 2017 X

Quote:
So as the title states, mid drive, while my ac was running cold like normal, my car started blowing warm air last week. Mind you I live in Texas.....I turned off the car for a couple of minutes as i went into the store and it started blowing cold again for the rest of the drive home. The next day or so drove fine but the issue started happening again the third day as i was driving to work. This time around, my ac has completely stopped blowing cold and now is just warm. I looked under the hood and noticed that the belt for the compressor is spinning but not the center part (the clutch?) of my compressor is spinning. I was told by an aquaintance that works at a local bmw here that it was a software issue and that I needed a conversion but he did not go in further details about it even after i asked what he meant by that (really not cool....). I've tried connecting a gauge to the low pressure charge port to check the pressure but it shows in the red right now, probably because the compressor isn't running? Any help would be much appreciated!!

I drive a 2014 F30
So, if the issue hasn't gotten resolved then what is happening is your a/c evaporator is freezing up. therefore you need to turn off your a/c and just let the fan work and it will melt the ice off the evaporator. if you take it to the dealer there is an Service Bulletin that will require programming conversion and an small adapter for the a/c temp. sensor near the blower motor. once that is done your a/c will work fine again.
Appreciate 1
zamboni1127.50
      10-03-2017, 05:11 PM   #9
HaloEyes
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick335i View Post
Quote:

I drive a 2014 F30
So, if the issue hasn't gotten resolved then what is happening is your a/c evaporator is freezing up. therefore you need to turn off your a/c and just let the fan work and it will melt the ice off the evaporator. if you take it to the dealer there is an Service Bulletin that will require programming conversion and an small adapter for the a/c temp. sensor near the blower motor. once that is done your a/c will work fine again.
Hmm I don't think it'd the evaporator since I left out of town over the weekend and it's still blowing warm
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 05:51 PM   #10
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
I drive a 2014 F30
check your coolant.
      10-03-2017, 09:12 PM   #11
Prossx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 G82 6MT SPY/YMB

This happened to me a few weeks ago in the middle of a 5 hour road trip going 70-80mph, and after an hour or so of acting flaky it magically resolved itself. Hasn't acted up since. ???
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 12:19 PM   #12
HaloEyes
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prossx View Post
This happened to me a few weeks ago in the middle of a 5 hour road trip going 70-80mph, and after an hour or so of acting flaky it magically resolved itself. Hasn't acted up since. ???
Mine sadly has not fixed itself. It's just blowing air now.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 12:21 PM   #13
HaloEyes
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
Quote:
I drive a 2014 F30
check your coolant.
Wut...? coolant? You might want to check out what you're doing to your ac system lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 12:25 PM   #14
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Wut...? coolant? You might want to check out what you're doing to your ac system lol.
No lol, if your coolant is fairly low, the car will run hotter and it'll shut off the condenser for the a/c

I had the same thing happen (a/c blew hot air, stopped being an a/c basically) when it was 32C outside and humid. Found out my coolant was way below the minimum line when cold and I fill it to the max. It never happened again afterwards, the a/c actually got colder lol.
      10-04-2017, 12:26 PM   #15
HaloEyes
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
Quote:
No lol, if your coolant is fairly low, the car will run hotter and it'll shut off the condenser for the a/c

I had the same thing happen (a/c blew hot air, stopped being an a/c basically) when it was 32C outside and humid. Found out my coolant was way below the minimum line when cold and I fill it to the max. It never happened again afterwards, the a/c actually got colder lol.
AHHH that makes sense!! Lol I thought you were trying to say you were somehow putting coolant into the lines lmao. Thanks I'll check on it!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 04:59 PM   #16
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

I would expect that if it were low coolant, you would notice the engine temperature rising. I saw this kind of problem on a volvo and the problem was a worn shim inside the compressor's magnetic clutch. The fix was pulling the front pulley and installing a different shim.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 07:54 AM   #17
Rick335i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i / 2014 328i / 2017 X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick335i View Post
Ok, I agree if it hasn't then I would also look into your coolant system as well. What about your a/c compressor? I know there is also another issue with the Electric Fan as well. Let us know what you find/fix.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 08:29 AM   #18
jdr78569
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 328d sport wag

Go to the experts in that field, check out a small mom and pop AC shop. Im sure they can test and do whats needed for you. Yeah BMW can too but for way more.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 08:55 PM   #19
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Fan speed too low? If you don't have enough air moving through the evaporator in hot weather, it will freeze up, and you'll lose cold air until it thaws again (aligns with what you were saying about going into the store, and it was fine).

If I set the fan speed to low, mine does that.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 03:04 PM   #20
HaloEyes
Private
United_States
Rep

So after taking it to my buddy's shop and four hours later, a compressor was replaced. Seems like the compressor failed even though my car is fairly new smh. Thankfully, we were able to find a compressor for 519 bucks instead of having to pay the 1499 price tag from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 03:16 PM   #21
c0nrad
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
So after taking it to my buddy's shop and four hours later, a compressor was replaced. Seems like the compressor failed even though my car is fairly new smh. Thankfully, we were able to find a compressor for 519 bucks instead of having to pay the 1499 price tag from BMW.
looks like you already solved it but just incase, my AC was constantly blowing warm air right before the radiator broke on my old car
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 05:42 AM   #22
dasnice
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 320i

Quote:
Where did you find it for $519 if you don’t mind me asking? My car is having a similar issue right now
Appreciate 0