F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > South Africa Delays! (4 Month Delay) UPDATE: 3/27/17
proTUNING Freaks

04-15-2016, 07:42 PM   #89
XRAVE
Rep
Drives: 135i

Very concerning now. I was curious and checked to see what ships arrive in Charleston.

Potentially what could of happened is that my car was offloaded now at Germany and is going on the tranquil ace to Charleston. Tranquil ace arrives to Charleston on 5/13, the date my CA says it arrives.

No idea why they would have done this unless my car was blocking a car that needed to get off.

If this is true, I'm beyond frustrated with my dealer as I was more than understanding when they lied about the build week and it being build in South Africa. But to wait 4 months for a car when I specifically told them I didn't have a car and needed it ASAP
Attached Images

Current 2020 X7 50i
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 09:20 PM   #90
Mojo2016
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 (EBII)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRAVE
Very concerning now. I was curious and checked to see what ships arrive in Charleston.

Potentially what could of happened is that my car was offloaded now at Germany and is going on the tranquil ace to Charleston. Tranquil ace arrives to Charleston on 5/13, the date my CA says it arrives.

No idea why they would have done this unless my car was blocking a car that needed to get off.

If this is true, I'm beyond frustrated with my dealer as I was more than understanding when they lied about the build week and it being build in South Africa. But to wait 4 months for a car when I specifically told them I didn't have a car and needed it ASAP
Emailing my CA to see if I get the same delay confirmation. Also not looking forward to getting the car 2 months late.

PCD may not be worth this wait.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 09:27 PM   #91
XRAVE
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo2016
Quote:

Emailing my CA to see if I get the same delay confirmation. Also not looking forward to getting the car 2 months late.

PCD may not be worth this wait.
This delay isn't due to PCD, it's because our cars were built in South Africa. Someone else has the exact same build date as I do but there's was built In Germany. They arrived to port 2 weeks ago.

My CA kept me in the dark about it being an SA build until after I put the deposit. I understand these things are refundable but at this point there's no other option. Ordering another car won't arrive sooner and picking one off the lot isn't an option as I'd never find what I want.

4 months is just a crazy amount of time to wait for a 3 series. My M3 arrived in 2 months and was a PCD as well.

I think that we are both on the same boat. Airdog originally said that he was headed to Brunswick. Our CA's told us Charleston from the get go. I think we're both screwed.
Current 2020 X7 50i
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 07:59 AM   #92
dkirsch78
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Competition Package

Are you sure it has nothing to do with PCD and needing to unload at Charleston? I placed my order on 2/15 and my car is supposed to be arriving at the dealership today, but my boat never hit Charleston.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 09:20 AM   #93
XRAVE
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirsch78
Are you sure it has nothing to do with PCD and needing to unload at Charleston? I placed my order on 2/15 and my car is supposed to be arriving at the dealership today, but my boat never hit Charleston.
With PCD you can have your car delivered to the Brunswick port. As you can see Airdog has been told Brunswick from the get go while me and Mojo2016 have been told port Charleston.

It seems our cars finished production around the same time, mine being the first and we all got on the same ship, serenity ace. After first looking into it, serenity ace never went to Charleston so I assumed my CA made a mistake and it was actually going to Brunswick.

So what actually happened is that me and Mojo got dropped off by the serenity ace in Bremerhaven and Airdog stayed on ship which arrives 2 weeks before do. The tranquil ace will now pick us up on April 27th for delivery to Charleston on the 13th.

PCD plays a role on why our shipping time was delayed, I believe mine finished production when yours did but you got on an earlier ship. But the biggest delay here is having to take 2 ships. Maybe mine and Mojos car were parked in front of others that needed to get off. Who knows
Current 2020 X7 50i
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 10:38 AM   #94
dkirsch78
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Competition Package

You'd think they'd have better organizational structure around this whole thing - just seems totally arbitrary and disjointed. Who knows though, maybe logistics are really that amazingly complex.

I will say after reading some of the issues people are having, including you guys, I feel lucky as hell to be picking up my car this week.

Random thought, but could the actual dealership have influence on this process? Probably not I guess but I wonder if dealerships that move more cars get priority or something.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 12:49 PM   #95
mwh2009
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirsch78 View Post
Random thought, but could the actual dealership have influence on this process? Probably not I guess but I wonder if dealerships that move more cars get priority or something.
I wondered the same thing - my CA seemed to believe that other than having a SA or Munich production slot, that they had zero influence over the rest of it. In other words, I could have declined his SA production slot and waited for his next Munich production slot, but beyond that, it seemed like it was all luck-of-the-draw.
No longer with me: 2018 Golf R, 2017 F80 M3, 2016 F30 340i xDrive
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 01:24 PM   #96
Airdog
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340ix Sport/track/tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRAVE View Post
With PCD you can have your car delivered to the Brunswick port. As you can see Airdog has been told Brunswick from the get go while me and Mojo2016 have been told port Charleston.

It seems our cars finished production around the same time, mine being the first and we all got on the same ship, serenity ace. After first looking into it, serenity ace never went to Charleston so I assumed my CA made a mistake and it was actually going to Brunswick.

So what actually happened is that me and Mojo got dropped off by the serenity ace in Bremerhaven and Airdog stayed on ship which arrives 2 weeks before do. The tranquil ace will now pick us up on April 27th for delivery to Charleston on the 13th.

PCD plays a role on why our shipping time was delayed, I believe mine finished production when yours did but you got on an earlier ship. But the biggest delay here is having to take 2 ships. Maybe mine and Mojos car were parked in front of others that needed to get off. Who knows
WTF....... So you confirmed your ride is positively off Serenity?!?! If so, that flat out sucks and is inexcusable .... I think BMW owes you both ...something.

So much for connecting at PDC.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 01:26 PM   #97
XRAVE
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwh2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirsch78 View Post
I wondered the same thing - my CA seemed to believe that other than having a SA or Munich production slot, that they had zero influence over the rest of it. In other words, I could have declined his SA production slot and waited for his next Munich production slot, but beyond that, it seemed like it was all luck-of-the-draw.
Did you confirm when your ETA was? Are they telling you May 13th?
Current 2020 X7 50i
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 01:29 PM   #98
XRAVE
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdog
Quote:

WTF....... So you confirmed your ride is positively off Serenity?!?! If so, that flat out sucks and is inexcusable .... I think BMW owes you both ...something.

So much for connecting at PDC.
I'm like 90% sure because your CA is saying April 28th into Brunswick and my CA says May 13th into Charleston. Tranquil ace arrives into Charleston on the 13th and also departs from Germany, so the chances of that seem pretty slim.

I might contact BMW because I was told 2 months and chose a dealer for that reason because of me moving. I needed a car no later than 3 months after ordering, which my dealer understood. It's now going to be 4 months which requires me to rent a car for a month. Very disappointing but nothing in writing about it being 2 months so they will just deny it.

Doesn't seem like I have many options other than to wait. I could cancel it but I don't see the point in that. I also told the dealer I want a Munich build, which he got some in the begging of the month. He took so long to get me one that my car went into production and then he said I couldn't change.
Current 2020 X7 50i
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 12:36 AM   #99
mwh2009
Captain
Rep

All I have is an ETA to Bremerhaven from SA at the moment (May6). But that's just the Prime Ace schedule. I might call tomorrow just to find out if BMW knows anything about my actual car.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 06:29 AM   #100
XRAVE
Rep

Can you ask you CA to send you this picture?
Attached Images

Current 2020 X7 50i

Last edited by XRAVE; 04-18-2016 at 09:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 08:41 AM   #101
Mojo2016
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
All I have is an ETA to Bremerhaven from SA at the moment (May6). But that's just the Prime Ace schedule. I might call tomorrow just to find out if BMW knows anything about my actual car.
What!?! So your no longer on the serenity ace?

No wonder performance center doesn't give us a date, no one has any idea where our cars are. I need to get to the bottom of this today, if my car still hasn't even arrived to Germany, I might cancel my order.

If your car arrives in Germany on May 6th, it'll be 2 weeks before it gets on a boat, then another 2-4 weeks to the US. Then another 3 weeks to the US. I'm sorry but that is not an acceptable time frame to take delivery of a car. You ordered a 2016 car in February only to have it delivered when model 2017 starts.

Can you ask your CA to send a picture like this?
@XRAVE just spoke to BMW Genius; they really didn't have much info but they did confirm that ETA into Charleston is now May 13th. Somehow they still show me on the Serenity Ace, although I think they just don't know what's going on.

Given that I can't be without a car much longer, I believe that I will start looking at local inventory.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 09:38 AM   #102
XRAVE
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo2016 View Post
@XRAVE just spoke to BMW Genius; they really didn't have much info but they did confirm that ETA into Charleston is now May 13th. Somehow they still show me on the Serenity Ace, although I think they just don't know what's going on.

Given that I can't be without a car much longer, I believe that I will start looking at local inventory.
I tried looking at local inventory but there just ins't anything close to my specs. Also the problem at this point is are cars are headed to PCD. Once there, your dealership would have to pay transport if you canceled your order.

I tried everything, spoke with MOL, BMW, CA and my freight forwarded. No one seems to be able to track anything, and the Bill of Lading number BMW has is not correct according to MOL. It shouldn't be this hard to track a car.

I really am on the fence about canceling the order but since it's not 100% that its still not on the serenity ace, I don't want to risk it. mwh2009 Is being told his car is headed first to Bremerhaven, we were never told that our cars were headed there.
Current 2020 X7 50i
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 09:41 AM   #103
Mojo2016
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I tried looking at local inventory but there just ins't anything close to my specs. Also the problem at this point is are cars are headed to PCD. Once there, your dealership would have to pay transport if you canceled your order.

I tried everything, spoke with MOL, BMW, CA and my freight forwarded. No one seems to be able to track anything, and the Bill of Lading number BMW has is not correct according to MOL. It shouldn't be this hard to track a car.

I really am on the fence about canceling the order but since it's not 100% that its still not on the serenity ace, I don't want to risk it. mwh2009 Is being told his car is headed first to Bremerhaven, we were never told that our cars were headed there.
I'm sure if you cancel early enough they can reroute to the dealership instead of PCD. I have asked other CA and the my day this is not a problem. I think your challenge is the 6MT, south Florida dealers just don't seem to order them.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 11:50 AM   #104
mwh2009
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

So to be fair, no one TOLD me my car was headed to Brimmerhaven, but they told me my car was 'en route' and that it was on the ship Prime Ace.

It was when I looked at Prime Ace's itinerary that I realized:
1) it's headed to Brimmerhaven
2) it has no destination after that listed
3) I'm screwed - especially since I just sold my car by accident this weekend #facepalm
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 12:48 PM   #105
mwh2009
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwh2009 View Post
So to be fair, no one TOLD me my car was headed to Brimmerhaven, but they told me my car was 'en route' and that it was on the ship Prime Ace.

3) I'm screwed - especially since I just sold my car by accident this weekend #facepalm
UPDATE: Prime Ace itinerary has been appended to include some North America stops and beyond (previously it stopped at Bremerhaven).

Among them are Charleston 21 May!

So maybe my car will get here eventually!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 03:06 PM   #106
XRAVE
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwh2009 View Post

UPDATE: Prime Ace itinerary has been appended to include some North America stops and beyond (previously it stopped at Bremerhaven).

Among them are Charleston 21 May!

So maybe my car will get here eventually!
That's some good luck. At this point I don't trust anybody on when my car will arrive.

I messaged BMW for a bill of lading number because the one they provided with me makes no sense. That's really the only way to see where your car is
Current 2020 X7 50i
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 04:16 PM   #107
dalto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I might contact BMW because I was told 2 months and chose a dealer for that reason because of me moving. I needed a car no later than 3 months after ordering, which my dealer understood. It's now going to be 4 months which requires me to rent a car for a month. Very disappointing but nothing in writing about it being 2 months so they will just deny it.

Doesn't seem like I have many options other than to wait. I could cancel it but I don't see the point in that. I also told the dealer I want a Munich build, which he got some in the begging of the month. He took so long to get me one that my car went into production and then he said I couldn't change.
Can you ask your dealer to give you a loaner to help bridge the gap? Seems like they did a poor job of setting expectations with SA allocation wait times.

My CA told me that at his dealership they won't even use SA allocations for customer ordered cars any more because of the inconsistency. They basically put them in line for Munich allocations and use the SA allocations for dealer inventory.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 05:19 PM   #108
XRAVE
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto
Quote:

Can you ask your dealer to give you a loaner to help bridge the gap? Seems like they did a poor job of setting expectations with SA allocation wait times.

My CA told me that at his dealership they won't even use SA allocations for customer ordered cars any more because of the inconsistency. They basically put them in line for Munich allocations and use the SA allocations for dealer inventory.
My dealer is out of California and I'm in Florida so they can't really give me a loaner.

I'm not sure what they would do if I complain. I even mentioned to wait until March when they got new allocations for Munich but he said it would just be quicker to keep the current SA allocation. The biggest problem I have with the whole thing is that I dropped another dealer to go with this one because they promised a sooner delivery with no mention of SA. To be honest I didn't even know they made cars in South Africa. I was told the normal 6-8 week. I didn't need the car for 12 weeks so I assumed I had enough time since I got my past 2 cars in 8 weeks.

I knew it was sketchy that they kept giving me reasons that they couldn't give me a production number right away. It was a very reputable dealership so I wasn't worried and believed their system was "down". Day after I put the deposit I realize that it's an SA and not going into production for 3 weeks, not the same week I was told. The point I knew I was screwed was when PCD told me they don't give ETAs on SA build because of how bad the shipping is.
Current 2020 X7 50i
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2016, 10:47 PM   #109
klaysta
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

So this ship is on it's way to the US with only one other stop in Africa. Anybody make it on it?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 09:09 AM   #110
mwh2009
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Can you ask you CA to send you this picture?
So I can ask my CA for that? I don't need to call the genius line or whatever?
Appreciate 0