F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Coolant Spill
proTUNING Freaks

10-04-2020, 10:39 PM   #1
gummozebra
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2013 F30 316i

Coolant Spill

Hi All! New to the forum, thanks in advance!
I have 2013 F30 316i

My car has shown the "Coolant level too low. Top up the coolant at earliest opportunity" error a few times now. My first initial instance I brought it to a mechanic shop, they simply filled it up with water (don't know what water, probably just tap!), and told me I was good to go.

Long story short, happened couple more times, second time I bought coolant and this shop told me to just pour the whole coolant in without mixing any water. Again in a few weeks the coolant warning came on.

My most concern is latest time the warning light came on yet again, engine was hot but I was afraid so I opened the cap to fill it up to "MAX" line, kept the lid off. I kept the car running and revved the engine, and coolant overboiled and spilled everywhere in the engine compartment.

Shall I be worried about the coolant over-boiling and spilling all over inside the engine compartment? Shall I go to a mechanic to have the whole coolant system "bleed out" and them refill it all fresh? That's a lot of money tho so I'm really considering my options.

Thank you all for your great support and comments/suggestions! Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 02:07 AM   #2
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
Mileage on car?

Have you checked for leaks? I had to replace my coolant hose after 63k miles. It was leaking.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 02:25 AM   #3
gummozebra
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2013 F30 316i

My car's mileage is 45,000 km - no I haven't checked for leaks at the dealer but I've had the car maintained by BMW since new, until the very last service which I did somewhere else. There does not seem to be any coolant leaked to the ground where I park, so any possible leak must be from the inside, and slowly?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 06:56 AM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gummozebra View Post
they simply filled it up with water
Don't do that.
Quote:
this shop told me to just pour the whole coolant in without mixing any water.
Don't do that either. A bad mix of coolant and water can cause overheating and rust in the engine.
Quote:
kept the lid off. I kept the car running and revved the engine, and coolant overboiled and spilled everywhere in the engine compartment
It boiled over because you had the cap off. Water boils at a higher temperature when it's under pressure. That's why cars have pressurized cooling systems.
Quote:
Shall I go to a mechanic
Not the one who already gave you bad advice.
Quote:
to have the whole coolant system "bleed out" and them refill it all fresh?
There's no need for that, but you do need to get your water to coolant ratio back to normal. One of these will tell you when it's correct.
Appreciate 0