F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > 2016 F34 N55 intake manifold pressure waaaay too high but no boost leak? Looking for
Studio RSR

08-12-2021, 11:07 AM   #1
BIM_n_Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 335i GT xdrive

2016 F34 N55 intake manifold pressure waaaay too high but no boost leak? Looking for

Hi, all,

I've frequented this forum quite a bit over the past couple years, but this is my first post. I'm trying to narrow down an issue where I'm seeing over 100-200inhg intake manifold pressure on my logs (it feels like the car is just sucking in air and not moving when this is happening). That high of a reading is definitely not normal.

So, I have a 2016 335i GT xdrive (F34 N55) with:
-VRSF (charge pipe, intercooler, high flow downpipe, catback street exhaust)
-aFe (cold air intake and scorcher tuner).
-NGK 1 step colder plugs gapped at .020".

I've had plenty of issues with the charge pipe fitment where the directional o-ring doesn't fit (bought multiple replacement OEM o-rings, boiled and refrigerated original, bought multiple different regular o-ring sizes, etc.. I could get them to fit just fine on the stock charge pipe, but I finally measured and just cut 4mm off the o-ring and glued it back together - fit like a glove, finally, and had 0 smoke leak or pressurized boost leak there anymore. VRSF support wasn't very helpful in the matter.. but anywho.

I've been getting an "Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure too High" check engine light accompanied by some issues at WOT where the car seemingly doesn't want to accelerate, that I can't seem to figure out the cause of. I've done a pressurized boost leak test and a smoke test, and I can't seem to find any leaks. In the pressurized test, I noticed the recirculation valve/hose dumps air into the intake manifold and won't pressurize the system if I don't plug it, though. Is this normal? I've ensured that the directional o-ring on the intercooler side of the charge pipe is installed correctly, as well as the throttle body o-ring. The intake is on securely. I've noticed that this issue happens most when the aFe scorcher module is on the red (race - most aggressive) setting that's supposed to be 4.5+ psi over stock. However, when I'm logging, that's the setting that my boost readings are lowest on. The car feels worse on that setting, too. I am using 91 octane still. Could that cause any issues with that amount of added boost?

Here's some links to a couple logs where you can see my two intake manifold absolute pressure values, one of them being over 100-200inhg at times which isn't normal and that's when my car doesn't want to accelerate. I'm assuming one is the expected value and one is the actual value, or maybe one sensor on the charge pipe and one on the intake manifold? Could anyone clarify that? They're both named the same..

https://datazap.me/u/linda92/log-162...ata=6-16-17-18
https://datazap.me/u/linda92/log-162...og=1&data=6-14

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this super high pressure reading? I've googled and googled, and can't seem to find anything. Could it be a diverter valve issue?

Also, I'm using an OBDLink bluetooth module with the OBDLink app for my logs. I was using Bimmerlink but the app seems to only log at 30 second intervals for me (I've gone through all the setting options and I've reached out to support).

Thank you to anyone who reads this and comments, I really appreciate it. Hopefully this will end up helping other people having similar issues, too.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 11:19 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I'd post this in the N55 section.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 07:02 PM   #3
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

I get the sense theres been many issues. I'd try to rule out a bad MAP sensor and reset adaptations. Now that you have BM3, some proper logs can be produced.
Appreciate 0