F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Stock B58 - misfire, loose spark plugs, fuel in plug tubes
proTUNING Freaks

09-15-2021, 08:48 AM   #23
steveindabmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Xdrive M-Sport

Thanks, Im going bootmod3 in the near future once my Chargepipe comes in that is. So i will be going past stock boost soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
The eBay PCV diaphragm and cap are fine. Otherwise you need a new valve cover which I think is over a thousand for just the part alone. The dealership will charge you a diagnostic but they may charge one anyway if you go ahead with the work. I would ask them to present me with the bill if I went with the dealership and what a bill looks like if I take it for a second opinion. Then I would haggle with the dealership to get the cost down on the injector replacement. The thing is, the issue may not be with the injectors but its safer for the dealership to replace them (bad injectors can possibly destroy your engine) since they guarantee their work so they will always go the safe route and of course injector replacement is alot of money. If they will not go lower, I would ask around and see if indys can do it for less. Keep in mind most indys source from dealership parts departments and not ECS. They do get a slight discount but it may not be as low as ECS sale prices and they tend to want to keep that discount if you know what I mean.
Steve, you don't need to replace the PCV until it shows issues and is mostly fine for people who don't push higher than stock boost.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 10:19 AM   #24
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindabmer View Post
Thanks, Im going bootmod3 in the near future once my Chargepipe comes in that is. So i will be going past stock boost soon.
What I am saying is the PCV diaphragm on eBay looks no better than stock. So its better to just replace it when it ruptures. It is better than spending over a grand to replace the whole cover. I see no good tried-and-true solutions around PCV deletes as of right now.
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2021, 11:49 AM   #25
GENAU
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

So I've had an update since bringing my car to a local indy shop.
  • Took it for a drive, completely unable to recreate the misfiring. Diagnosis tools found no record of misfiring.
  • There was record of high pressure in the PCV system, indicating that that the valve may be the culprit.
  • Looking into the PCV system and reading diagrams, they found that it links to cylinders 1 & 6. This might explain why there was fuel residue at each respective spark plug found by the dealership.
  • Not bringing it back to the dealership in the future...

I've ordered the valve, 6 spark plugs, and will do the oil tonight. I've driven the car a few hundred miles since picking it up on Friday. I've experience no issues or misfires.
Appreciate 0