F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BMW F31 320d Xdrive (Jerking)
proTUNING Freaks

06-03-2019, 02:20 PM   #1
jharar
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW F40 M135i xdrive.

BMW F31 320d Xdrive (Jerking)

Hi

My touring is been fine since I've got it 10 months ago.

Today after finishing work I was driving home stopped at supermarket to get few things after starting the car once I started driving felt car was jerking specially if I put the foot down feels like the jerk is coming from the back of the car..

I picked my son up on the way home even he felt it car was not behaving, LOL.

What could it be, anything I can look for?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 02:32 PM   #2
zeikei
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: F36

Transfer case, check other threads about it.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 10:06 PM   #3
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82M/S213 E450 A/T

Try to accelerate quickly with full lock if you feel vibrations in the steering wheel it might be a transfer case failure.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 02:39 PM   #4
jharar
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW F40 M135i xdrive.

Here is a update on my Touring....

I contacted BMW Road side Assistance..
Once he checked my car with his Laptop car did not throw any sort of error, BMW Mechanic said nothing much I can do.
I insisted him to go for a test drive which he agreed, we hardly went 500 metre he felt how bad it was, He booked the car with Sytner Harold wood as it just round the corner from my work place..

Car went in got a hire from enterprise..

Next day I get a phone call from BMW, The women on the phone we can't take your car on the road as it's got smoked plates so we have to put fresh plates on it £59.00 + Vat..
I said there is only a film on the plates just peel it off, I can buy another roll it will only cost me £10.00, Ok then she said your brake pads are low 3mm they needs changing not very safe for us to take the car on the road shall we change it first, I said NO as there is no light on the dash So please just concentrate on the fault for which the car has come to the dealership, She said ok but your fluids are low how about topping them up, I said please just deal with fault first we can discuss this later.

Few hours later I get another phone call saying Yes, you car car is jerking , but we have noticed your car does not have BMW star rated Tyres....

I said front tyres are Continental, Rear's tyres are Good year with 5mm Tread all over..

She said we need to change all the tyres before we do any further investigation, I said I am not going to authorise as the car got 5mm Tread all over.

She said fine we won't do anything.. I asked for Service Manager to put the on the phone but as usual he is busy..
He phoned me later I said whats all this he apologised for all this...

He said we are going to change the wheels with another car but only possible next day as they don't have any other 3 series with same wheels right now, I said fine..

Next day I get a phone call We have checked the wheels other 3 series got different wheels then yours as your's is X-drive so we need same wheels as X-drive have special wheels which is something new to me.. What a lot of Crap...

After lengthy conversation Service Manager said our technician still looking at your car give us few hours..
Again few hours later I get a phone call now he said , we found the fault it's the Transfer Box..

Apology for all this....

We have ordered the part your car will be ready later part of next week...

What a Main dealership experience..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 03:35 PM   #5
opinion914
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 N47

"Transfer box" as in entire transfer case?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 05:46 PM   #6
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

Can you just look at the output flange for the rear driveshaft out of driveshaft? It will be obvious immediately.
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 08:26 AM   #7
TimR
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 320d xDrive Touring

First post here.

I've got a 320d Touring and since it was in for its last service (2 weeks ago) it's had the sort of misfire feeling.
It went back in to the dealer yesterday and they gave me the good news - new transfer case and 2 rear tyres, oh and £4,400 as well please.

I declined that offer and am now researching what to do.

According to the video they sent me there is clear corrosion on a couple of bits of the transfer case and an oil mist.

One other thing that is mentioned (on the invoice for the inspection, not be a 'real' person) is that they tested it by pulling the transfer box supply fuse. Doing this made the problem go away.

A final point is that the car got new front tyres about 6 weeks ago and according to the 2 inspections they've done (at the service and again yesterday) the fronts are at 7.6mm and the rears just over 3.
The car has done about 1,500 miles since the tyres were changed.

I really can't believe that tiny difference in tread depth would be enough to cause the failure given that roads are never perfectly flat?

So is this the clutches or the flange?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 02:22 PM   #8
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Is the jerking happening only on sharp turns at low speeds?
Others:
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 07:46 AM   #9
TimR
Rep

No it isn't doing it then at all, it's only happening under acceleration or load such as going up a hill at a steady speed.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 08:50 AM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimR View Post
A final point is that the car got new front tyres about 6 weeks ago and according to the 2 inspections they've done (at the service and again yesterday) the fronts are at 7.6mm and the rears just over 3.
The car has done about 1,500 miles since the tyres were changed.

I really can't believe that tiny difference in tread depth would be enough to cause the failure given that roads are never perfectly flat?

So is this the clutches or the flange?
Could well be tyres. Are the new tyres the same brand/spec? Also the issue of Star marked tyres may apply, if mixed and non Star marked. Other point to note is pressures, too much variation also changes the rolling circumference. Get the tolerance stack too far off ideal parameters and it can be a recipe for drivetrain issues.

Although not in the user manuals, BMW also recommend a 2mm maximum variation, front to rear, according to the tech data.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 09:05 AM   #11
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

It sounds like possibly the output flange splines are worn. Clutches would not really do that.
Others:
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 09:10 AM   #12
TimR
Rep

The tyres are the same brand (Goodyear) and recommended via Kwik-Fit.

While the tyre's tread depth differences appear to have caused the problem I don't think changing them now will make it go away, presumably the damage has been done.

If the 2mm recommendation isn't in the manual then, given this has clearly been a known issue for a long time - pre-dating the F30 series - surely BMW should be getting their backside kicked for not, at the very least, making it clear in the handbook?

Is there any point in me speaking to BMW to see if they'll contribute to the fix as the car has a full history, albeit its 5 1/2 years old with 112k on the clock?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 09:13 AM   #13
TimR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enabled View Post
It sounds like possibly the output flange splines are worn. Clutches would not really do that.
Ok, thanks for that.
Would it not still do it though, even when the garage pulled the fuse for the electronics?

Also, if I pull that fuse myself will there be a dashboard full of warning lights?

I was speaking to a colleague about it earlier and told them it was a bit like riding your bike when one of the teeth is missing on the chain cogs.
Appreciate 1
tjlees349.00
      07-04-2019, 09:14 AM   #14
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimR View Post
The tyres are the same brand (Goodyear) and recommended via Kwik-Fit.

Is there any point in me speaking to BMW to see if they'll contribute to the fix as the car has a full history, albeit its 5 1/2 years old with 112k on the clock?
Are they Star marked? BMW will typically look at tyres before decisions, even for warranty, let alone goodwill. Mileage is high for goodwill, is there a FSH with BMW?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 10:06 AM   #15
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

If you pull the fuse, you will have all the lights, yes.

Something doesn't really add up though. Pulling the fuse is more consistent with an actuator failing. Jerking and skipping is more consistent with output flange wearing.
Both of these I am experienced in.

Clutches worn should give errors.

Either way. If you have to replace transfer case, and save money... Find a second hand transfer case from a low mileage F30 with a 6 cylinder (less vibration to cause less wear on flange), and swap it out.

Clean and use loctite 660 on the output flange splines. https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1579087
You will need some programming or relearning of the clutch positions. Each transfer case has a calibration factor that needs to be entered into the transfer case actuator module.
Others:
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 04:59 AM   #16
TimR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Are they Star marked? BMW will typically look at tyres before decisions, even for warranty, let alone goodwill. Mileage is high for goodwill, is there a FSH with BMW?
Yes, Grassicks and John Clark Dundee.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 05:02 AM   #17
TimR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enabled View Post
If you pull the fuse, you will have all the lights, yes.

Something doesn't really add up though. Pulling the fuse is more consistent with an actuator failing. Jerking and skipping is more consistent with output flange wearing.
Both of these I am experienced in.

Clutches worn should give errors.

Either way. If you have to replace transfer case, and save money... Find a second hand transfer case from a low mileage F30 with a 6 cylinder (less vibration to cause less wear on flange), and swap it out.

Clean and use loctite 660 on the output flange splines. https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1579087
You will need some programming or relearning of the clutch positions. Each transfer case has a calibration factor that needs to be entered into the transfer case actuator module.
Ok, thanks.
As you say, the symptoms are more mechanical than electronic so I reckon they know its the transfer box and they've just said something they know usually highlights the problem because their intention would always be to replace the whole unit rather than the individual bits.
It's the way of modern dealerships sadly but I'll definitely take it to an independent for a second opinion.

Thanks again
Appreciate 0