F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Weird Rattle Noise Coming From Undercarriage
proTUNING Freaks

06-26-2019, 10:19 AM   #1
MAKH 5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD [Portimao Blue]

Help Please! [Video] Weird Noise coming from Undercarriage

Wondering if anyone can help me diagnose this sound coming from under my car. The exact location is unknown but it seems to be around the armrest/backseat passenger side (Under the car).

I've gone through a bunch of forums and from what other people have said, it can be one of three things.
1)The drive shaft
2)the e-brake tube hitting the drive shaft
3) rear half-shaft inner cv joint

Anyone with any previous experience or knowledge of this noise please chime in!

15' 335i. Just got an AWE exhaust w/mid-pipe installed and put around 2,000 miles on it so far. Had all the bolts looked at and tightened, as well as rotated slightly further away from the center joint just to confirm the exhaust wasn't knocking on that. Haven't seen or read of anyone having this kind of trouble with an AWE exhaust. Think i can rule that out.

Edit: The rattle ONLY occurs under semi-heavy/heavy acceleration along with an audible clanking noise going over bumps. I would say around 2500 rpm and up. Cant hear a thing but the exhaust under that speed.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 03:17 PM   #2
Mr. Tasty
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 335i Mperformance

I had this exact thing. there are a couple of brackets that mount the emergency cable to the underside or the car. mine had come loose, and you can either replace, or in my case, push them back into the body of the car. let me find the realoem diagram.

you dont need to remove a heat shield, as the brackets are further back.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 03:22 PM   #3
Mr. Tasty
Captain
Rep

this isn't my car or photo, but the brackets are circled in red. I pushed mine up and it fixed my noises.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
MAKH 588.50
      06-26-2019, 05:35 PM   #4
MAKH 5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tasty View Post
this isn't my car or photo, but the brackets are circled in red. I pushed mine up and it fixed my noises.
Thanks. Really appreciate this info!

Just to be clear, put it on a lift, locate the e-brake wire and whichever bracket has come loose and just push it back in or replace as needed.
Also, i will not have to take down the exhaust and or any heat shields to access the bracket?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 05:36 PM   #5
Mr. Tasty
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK 5 View Post
Quote:

Just to be clear, put it on a lift, locate the e-brake wire and whichever bracket has come loose and just push it back in or replace as needed.
Also, i will not have to take down the exhaust and or any heat shields to access the bracket?
no need to remove exhaust shields or anything. both of them are very visible once the car is off the ground. there are also a couple plastic brackets if you follow the cable towards the front of the car that can also cause this noise.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 05:55 PM   #6
MAKH 5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

no need to remove exhaust shields or anything. both of them are very visible once the car is off the ground. there are also a couple plastic brackets if you follow the cable towards the front of the car that can also cause this noise.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Awesome. Thanks again for responding.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 11:27 AM   #7
Mr. Tasty
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

no problem. I am hoping it helps you, as this issue drove me insane for 4 months
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 05:39 PM   #8
MAKH 5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

no problem. I am hoping it helps you, as this issue drove me insane for 4 months
Got the car up on a lift and turns out it was the right e-brake line hitting the drive shaft. The hook/bracket that you circled seemed to be loose on both sides actually so i pushed them in and bent them so both e-brake wires sit closer to the car. But right at the drive shaft the metal part of the tube was making contact and that bracket had broken off.
So i Zip tied the right e-brake to the left and that annoying rattle is gone! Thanks again bro.[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 06:10 PM   #9
Troy27
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Got the car up on a lift and turns out it was the right e-brake line hitting the drive shaft. The hook/bracket that you circled seemed to be loose on both sides actually so i pushed them in and bent them so both e-brake wires sit closer to the car. But right at the drive shaft the metal part of the tube was making contact and that bracket had broken off.
So i Zip tied the right e-brake to the left and that annoying rattle is gone! Thanks again bro.[IMG][/IMG]
Where exactly is that located?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 07:19 PM   #10
MAKH 5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy27 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Where exactly is that located?
If your car is on the lift, standing at the back, locate the drive shaft and its right above it but maybe 3-6 inches closer to the front of the car. There is a heat shield, the drive shaft and then these e-brake brackets (a left one and a right).

Look at the pic mr. nasty posted with the e-brake hook circled in red and follow that to the front of the car. You'll run right into them.
Appreciate 1
Troy2743.00
      01-20-2020, 02:04 PM   #11
EastNashMike
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30, 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKH 5 View Post
If your car is on the lift, standing at the back, locate the drive shaft and its right above it but maybe 3-6 inches closer to the front of the car. There is a heat shield, the drive shaft and then these e-brake brackets (a left one and a right).

Look at the pic mr. nasty posted with the e-brake hook circled in red and follow that to the front of the car. You'll run right into them.
So I’m having this annoying rattle too, all the M3 guys are talking about a TSB where the brake cable is contacting the drive shaft but from your repair that’s probably not the issue for us. Your zip tie seems to pull the cable more out of place, but I guess it secures it from rattling back up against the body.

At the dealership now and I really wonder what they would charge for the proper fix. I’ll know soon enough and may just order the parts and change that mount myself.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 02:12 PM   #12
Hirads
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastNashMike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKH 5 View Post

So I’m having this annoying rattle too, all the M3 guys are talking about a TSB where the brake cable is contacting the drive shaft but from your repair that’s probably not the issue for us. Your zip tie seems to pull the cable more out of place, but I guess it secures it from rattling back up against the body.

At the dealership now and I really wonder what they would charge for the proper fix. I’ll know soon enough and may just order the parts and change that mount myself.
BMW SEATTLE fixed mine under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 02:28 AM   #13
MiloszF30
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330i

Hello I have a different type of rattling I’m not sure what it is anyone can let me know it sound like mettle rattling underneath my backseats or something? Or around the vent
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 12:37 PM   #14
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiloszF30 View Post
Hello I have a different type of rattling I’m not sure what it is anyone can let me know it sound like mettle rattling underneath my backseats or something? Or around the vent
Probably park brake cable clip, do a google/or thread search you should find it
Appreciate 0