F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Tips on making the exhaust quieter
GetBMWParts

01-03-2024, 01:55 PM   #1
yordanovbrs@gmail.com
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 435i

Tips on making the exhaust quieter

Hi guys, I have a 435 F36 which I bought with a muffler delete. Unfortunately I don't have the original muffler. I love the sound, but at cruising speeds its waay to droney and loud for me, hence I'm exploring options to quiet it down a bit. I don't want to spend a whole lot of money on an m performance exhaust, but also don't want it as quiet as OEM. I though about finding an oem muffler and doing the popular mod with opening it, but where I live these cars are not so popular and the mufflers are very hard to find. I was thinking maybe about putting a vibrant ultra quiet resonator somewhere in the section i marked in the photo, but would this actually have enough of an effect, since the right pipe is still gonna pass straight through? I would also appreciate any other suggestions.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 02:53 PM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

A resonator there wont do anything.

There is an OEM resonator upstream before the split. Is that still there? If its not, step 1 is to put a resonator in the OEM spot. That will reduce, but likely not eliminate, the drone.

If you want to get a little more complicated, you could (in addition to or separately), put a resonator or muffler where you indicated and add a valve or cutout so that when closed the exhaust goes through that muffler, and when open it bypasses and goes straight out the other side.
Appreciate 1
Jvac432.00
      01-03-2024, 04:28 PM   #3
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

You need a bigger resonator to Eliminate rasp and drone - it's not a muffler issue, so adding one can still have drone and rasp.

If you can get one, check out the "Vibrant Ultra Quiet" resonator - you'll need one that is 3" and the longer you can fit, the better - so measure first.
      01-08-2024, 05:15 AM   #4
yordanovbrs@gmail.com
Rep

Car still has the original resonator in place, it's only the muffler that is removed. I might try the route of fitting an additional resonator at the back, and if that does nothing i will maybe add a valve on the right side. I had an idea of maybe using the connection for the oem valve and controlling it through the bootmod3 app and the tune, do you guys think this could work?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 08:04 AM   #5
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Does the car have a downpipe? You may want to remove the factory resonator and go with a bigger one.

Another option is adding a muffler, which will obviously muffle the sound.
      01-08-2024, 12:22 PM   #6
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yordanovbrs@gmail.com View Post
Car still has the original resonator in place, it's only the muffler that is removed. I might try the route of fitting an additional resonator at the back, and if that does nothing i will maybe add a valve on the right side. I had an idea of maybe using the connection for the oem valve and controlling it through the bootmod3 app and the tune, do you guys think this could work?
Issue with that is the valve is on the other side (driver). You would need to put the valve on the passenger side to close off the 'straight pipe' and then add the muffler going to the passenger side.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 06:04 PM   #7
visionaut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435iX GC & 1976 2002

Cheapest might be adding an exhaust baffle to the end of the straight tailpipe. I’ve seen them work pretty effectively dropping volume on bikes… just need the right diameter.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 07:40 PM   #8
jmanB45
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 330iX Sedan

Garage List
I don't think adding a resonator on the longer side will help much, as most of the flow will still go straight out of the passenger side. Check out this setup where they went from straight pipe to double Vibrant resonators:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1380785

Quote:
Originally Posted by yordanovbrs@gmail.com View Post
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 07:59 PM   #9
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanB45 View Post
I don't think adding a resonator on the longer side will help much, as most of the flow will still go straight out of the passenger side. Check out this setup where they went from straight pipe to double Vibrant resonators:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1380785
Exactly, need to add a valve so the passenger side is straight out, then driver side has additional muffler/resonator. or revise to a true Y and muffle both sides.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 08:38 AM   #10
yordanovbrs@gmail.com
Rep

Quick update - I got very lucky catching an AWE touring exhaust with midpipe second hand for cheap. Gonna install it next week, first trying with the full setup and if thats too much I'm gonna weld the oem resonator back in place.
Appreciate 1