F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Low Engine Temp help
proTUNING Freaks

03-07-2020, 08:50 PM   #1
Laylowrider
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i

Low Engine Temp help

What’s up gents!
I have a slight dilemma and I’m hoping someone can maybe help me out.
The hose that runs from the inter cooler to the overflow coolant bottle snapped at one of the bends. I lost some coolant, freaked out for a second and once I got myself together I realized it’s not that bad.. I went to the dealer, got a new one for $75, some coolant for $35 and off I was. I replaced the hose, topped off the coolant.. started the engine, let it run for 10 min or so turned off and re topped off the coolant. As far as I can tell the level is not dropping and the air is out.
The issue I’m having now is that the engine won’t go past 170deg F.. normal operating temps are somewhere around 230-240F. As soon as the car gets to 170-180F the fan kicks off and it runs constantly and keeps the engine below normal temps.
Did I miss something in the process? Can you guys point me in the right direction?
Thank you so much in advance

Stefan
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 08:52 PM   #2
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
You should probably follow the actual bleeding procedure. Little more in depth than what you've done...

Which engine?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 09:00 PM   #3
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...eck/1VnZ9IKWSz
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 09:07 PM   #4
Snoopy8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw328i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laylowrider View Post
What’s up gents!
The hose that runs from the inter cooler to the overflow coolant bottle snapped at one of the bends. I lost some coolant, freaked out for a second and once I got myself together I realized it’s not that bad.. I went to the dealer, got a new one for $75, some coolant for $35 and off I was. I replaced the hose, topped off the coolant.. started the engine, let it run for 10 min or so turned off and re topped off the coolant. As far as I can tell the level is not dropping and the air is out.
The issue I’m having now is that the engine won’t go past 170deg F.. normal operating temps are somewhere around 230-240F. As soon as the car gets to 170-180F the fan kicks off and it runs constantly and keeps the engine below normal temps.
Did I miss something in the process? Can you guys point me in the right direction?

Stefan
If you are talking about the gauge on the dash, that's the oil temp gauge. It's not gonna go up in 10 mins of idling.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 11:42 PM   #5
Laylowrider
Rep

My bad guys, I should’ve disclosed the car and engine..
it’s a 2013 F30 335I
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 11:44 PM   #6
Laylowrider
Rep

So I actually asked one of the service techs at the dealership and he said all I’ll have to do is what I did..
thank you for sharing the link.. I’ll take a look at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
You should probably follow the actual bleeding procedure. Little more in depth than what you've done...

Which engine?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 11:50 PM   #7
Laylowrider
Rep

😳
I most definitely missed a bunch of steps 😂
Would you recommend I do a coolant flush and have it done right?
Or should I take it to the dealer to bleed the system out?

I’m most deff not doing all that.. I don’t have the time and patience at the moment

I appreciate your input guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 08:43 AM   #8
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy8 View Post
If you are talking about the gauge on the dash, that's the oil temp gauge. It's not gonna go up in 10 mins of idling.
That. In winter it can take a half hour of driving for the oil temperature to come all the way up. The gauge won't show what the coolant temperature is unless you've coded your iDrive to show it.
Quote:
I’m most deff not doing all that.. I don’t have the time and patience at the moment
You don't need to bleed the system unless you drained the radiator.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 04:06 PM   #9
Arcturus
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laylowrider View Post
What’s up gents!

Stefan
First check that the system is bled properly.

If this is not it, I had an issue like this and it could be one of two thermostats that are stuck open. This is a known issue with these cars.

In my case I had an intermittent check engine light that would go on and then go off. The dealer first replaced the MAP thermostat and this did not fix it. They then replaced the transmission oil cooler and the problem was resolved.

In my case the engine oil was taking a long time to reach 95-105 deg C. At the end it wouldn't reach it at all - even after 40 mins of driving.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 10:49 PM   #10
Laylowrider
Rep

Thank you 🙏 for your input guys.
Appreciate 0