F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Next Step Input after Stage 2 F30 N55
proTUNING Freaks

05-25-2020, 06:37 AM   #23
johnung
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitrinF30 View Post
Going off of this, what's everyone's opinion on upgrading the DV/ BOV.. aftermarket Air intake..
No, on the aftermarket intake unless your goal is to make noise. All you need for performance is the drop-in filter.

You can swapout the bottom of your airbox for the M Performance version with the added front facing airhole, outlined in red plastic in the photo. For free, you can drill or cut holes in your stock airbox bottom at the same location. Just don't cut through the triple plastic ribs that give the box strength. I would cut out rectangles with a Dremel vs drilling holes. The holes are down low so not really visible when you open the hood.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 07:11 AM   #24
johnung
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Going off of this, what's everyone's opinion on upgrading the DV/ BOV.. aftermarket Air intake..
YES, on upgrading the Diverter Valve to a Turbosmart Blow Off Valve. There are two models: The Dual Port partially vents to the atmosphere, adding a whoosh sound that aftermarket intake guys will like. I got the Plumb Back model that vents internally so it's quiet. (The driver will still hear a slight whippoorwill sound when it bleeds off boost when you let your foot off in Sport mode.)

Here's a Kies Motorsports video installing the Turbosmart BOV.

The BOV makes the car more responsive. At times the stock DV would have dumped all of the boost and then needed time to build it back up. In Sport mode when I accelerate and let up slightly and then go to accelerate again, the Turbosmart intelligently just bleeds off just any excess boost. So when I step back on it the full boost is right there instantly. I think it makes a big difference. Much more fun to drive.

Pure Turbos Inlet Pipe- If you have a 335i with an N55 EWG, then you can increase the useable airflow to your turbo by swapping out the restrictive stock turbo inlet pipe. (The N55 PWG turbo is smaller so it probably wouldn't benefit).

Myself and two other guys went to the Pure Turbos Inlet Pipe and we all saw before/after log gains in MAF values starting at 5,000 RPMs and going up. We didn't have access to a dyno but MAF correlates to increasing horsepower which is what it feels like.

Note that Inlet Pipe copies have come out but some stupidly copied the stock pipe including its airflow restriction! So there is no value to those cheap pipes that are failed attempts at knocking off the Pure Turbos Inlet Pipe.

I got the Turbosmart BOV and the Pure Turbos Inlet Pipe installed at Kies Motorsports at the same time since they are in the same location. My N55 EWG is tuned with BootMod3 Stage2 93 octane. These two mods were like icing on the cake, adding another bump to the performance and responsiveness.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-25-2020, 07:57 AM   #25
johnung
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchi435i View Post
Quote:
Okay, I have had recommendations of a custom tune rather then OTS..

Yeah I figured as much, just was wondering if it provided any real power gain other than turbo noise.. will keep that in mind for the DV.

I will try to get a good 3rd gear log tomorrow. Unfortunately I'm not able to have E85 in my area.. (reliably or close).
Just a quick FYI for logs. If your manual transmission start in 3rd gear, if you are auto transmission start in 4th gear. DSC fully off as well.
Thank you! Just out of curiosity have been looking at some options for additional oil cooling.. such as (BMS B Cool Oil thermostat, BMS B Cool Oil Filter Cap/ Housing) any opinion on these? Needed, beneficial? Have heard positive results but with a trade off of the car taking much longer to get to operating temp.
Do NOT touch the oil cooler thermostat. That Burger part is for racing only when the assumption is that the oil is always hot. You don't want cold oil flowing to the oil cooler to be cooled more, while the engine is cold and trying to get up to its operating temperature.

On the F30 335/435 N55 engine, the stock oil thermostat opens at 230-235 degrees Fahrenheit to send oil to the oil cooler. My engine typically runs oil temperatures in the 230-255 range depending on how hard I'm pushing it and if the ambient temperature is already high like summer days in the 90's.

I looked into oil cooler upgrades only because I had owned previous cars that had none where I had installed oil coolers. I spoke to Evolution Racewerks which makes a beautiful replacement oil cooler upgrade kit. Their kits are primarily for racing. I was told that unless my car is hitting an oil temperature >260 degrees Fahrenheit, then my car is in its intended oil operating temperature range so no need at all for an oil cooler upgrade.

Yes, on the BMS aluminum oil filter housing. I just bought one from Kies Motorsports than I am about to install. (They come in black, red or blue) For a long time I thought it would be a vanity/waste of money. But I read of a couple of the stock plastic oil filter housings cracking so I rethought my position. I'm all for preventing oil from being sprayed all over the engine. Spraying oil on the serpentine belt can cause it to break with shards blowing past the crankshaft seal into the oil pan, blocking the oil pickup and causing engine damage. So the aluminum oil filter housing could be a smart preventative measure.

It's supposed to add another location where the oil system might give off some heat, but obviously that's being released under the hood not in an ideal airflow location. It does make it a hotspot, not to be touched under the hood when the engine has been running. We'll see how it goes.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      05-25-2020, 08:48 AM   #26
johnung
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchi435i View Post
Quote:
I would say goals in terms of power are anywhere at or over 400whp at this point, I know a turbo upgrade will be my next big step if I want large power gain.

I'm currently just running the Stage 2 93OCT OTS map from BootMod3. When did you start having HPFP issues? What were you running when you experienced them? And how much did that pump run you if you don't mind me asking.
Now that you have mentioned your goal, you will need a custom tune Upgraded HPFP and maybe E85 mix to get to 400whp.

Post some log of your current setup to ensure everything is running properly.

Also, an intake doe not yield much aside from turbo noise. Upgraded DV might be good but I wouldn't swap out unless your stock dv is failing.
Okay, I have had recommendations of a custom tune rather then OTS..

Yeah I figured as much, just was wondering if it provided any real power gain other than turbo noise.. will keep that in mind for the DV.

I will try to get a good 3rd gear log tomorrow. Unfortunately I'm not able to have E85 in my area.. (reliably or close).
Here's my take on a custom tune. You and I have similar cars and goals. I have a 2015 335ix running BootMod3 Stage2 93 Octane. I'm trying to maximize its performance and drivability while understanding that the next jump up in performance (to an upgraded turbo) is some really serious parts and labor money.

Everyone I've asked for opinions on a custom tune spouts the same old line about a custom tune is always better than an off the shelf tune. I feel like replying "well no sh*t Sherlock!". The question is how much better? $500 better? Because that is what the top tuners who have been recommended to me charge. None of them will answer the question either which leads me to believe that the answer is not good.

I suspect that if someone did before/after dyno runs of BootMod3 Stage2 N55 EWG 93 Octane OTS with stock turbo VS a custom $500 tune, that the performance increases would not be massive.

When I dug deeper I learned that most of the guys who were promoting custom tunes had increased the capacity for a custom tune to be effective by upgrading their turbo and/or moving to more exotic fueling than just 93 Octane pump gas.

When I had some more detailed discussions with experienced guys who I trust, they all said that in my scenario it wouldn't make sense to spend $500 for a custom tune unless I first upgraded the turbo or went to exotic fueling.

I also like the idea of running a corporately supported tune. BootMod3 has had three version upgrades since I first installed it. I like that it is evolving and that there is a support group that I can call. That wouldn't be the case if I was custom tuned and had one guy to attempt to reach.

I've been reading and keeping one eye open concerning HPFP upgrades. I haven't seen concrete evidence that my car needs one. Again, it's an issue that exotic fueling and upgraded Turbos hit. I've read good things about Dorch. BootMod3 has added support for the Dorch pump within its tune.

I'm also intrigued about the possibility of upgrading to a B58 Supra pump. I understand that neither of the B58 pumps require any tuning support. They just work. I consider that an advantage if my car ever had an issue and was flashed back to stock. The fuel pump would still work.

I understand that adapting the B58 Supra HPFP to the N55 engine may require a wiring harness extension. There is already one to upgrade the original B58 pump to the B58 Supra pump (~$35) so I assume that it's possible to do a similar N55 to B58 Supra pump wiring harness extension.

I've also read references to the flange on the B58 Supra pump having to be cut/trimmed/modified in some way to fit on the N55. I haven't seen the Supra pump myself. I am wondering if this flange is removable? If so, I could take it to a racing mod house to do the modifications to the flange properly.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 09:18 AM   #27
ozymandias435
F36 GC
Rep
Drives: 435i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Here's my take on a custom tune. You and I have similar cars and goals. I have a 2015 335ix running BootMod3 Stage2 93 Octane. I'm trying to maximize its performance and drivability while understanding that the next jump up in performance (to an upgraded turbo) is some really serious parts and labor money.

Everyone I've asked for opinions on a custom tune spouts the same old line about a custom tune is always better than an off the shelf tune. I feel like replying "well no sh*t Sherlock!". The question is how much better? $500 better? Because that is what the top tuners who have been recommended to me charge. None of them will answer the question either which leads me to believe that the answer is not good.

I suspect that if someone did before/after dyno runs of BootMod3 Stage2 N55 EWG 93 Octane OTS with stock turbo VS a custom $500 tune, that the performance increases would not be massive.

When I dug deeper I learned that most of the guys who were promoting custom tunes had increased the capacity for a custom tune to be effective by upgrading their turbo and/or moving to more exotic fueling than just 93 Octane pump gas.

When I had some more detailed discussions with experienced guys who I trust, they all said that in my scenario it wouldn't make sense to spend $500 for a custom tune unless I first upgraded the turbo or went to exotic fueling.

I also like the idea of running a corporately supported tune. BootMod3 has had three version upgrades since I first installed it. I like that it is evolving and that there is a support group that I can call. That wouldn't be the case if I was custom tuned and had one guy to attempt to reach.

I've been reading and keeping one eye open concerning HPFP upgrades. I haven't seen concrete evidence that my car needs one. Again, it's an issue that exotic fueling and upgraded Turbos hit. I've read good things about Dorch. BootMod3 has added support for the Dorch pump within its tune.

I'm also intrigued about the possibility of upgrading to a B58 Supra pump. I understand that neither of the B58 pumps require any tuning support. They just work. I consider that an advantage if my car ever had an issue and was flashed back to stock. The fuel pump would still work.

I understand that adapting the B58 Supra HPFP to the N55 engine may require a wiring harness extension. There is already one to upgrade the original B58 pump to the B58 Supra pump (~$35) so I assume that it's possible to do a similar N55 to B58 Supra pump wiring harness extension.

I've also read references to the flange on the B58 Supra pump having to be cut/trimmed/modified in some way to fit on the N55. I haven't seen the Supra pump myself. I am wondering if this flange is removable? If so, I could take it to a racing mod house to do the modifications to the flange properly.

Hope this helps!
This is where I am currently at as well. FBO running Stage 2 93 octane Bm3.
I have a Dorch Stage 1 HPFP coming this week and after that gets installed I will be getting a custom tune. Not sure from who yet but that is the route that I want to go. I do not like the constant overboost early in the RPM range that the OTS map has. Im overboosting from 2800rpms all the way to 4300 rpms.

It seems like the custom tunes are the ones that are consistently putting down the most power. The thought of having a tune that is made for my specific car and for my specific climate is appealing to me!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 11:13 AM   #28
johnung
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozymandias435 View Post
Quote:

Hope this helps!
This is where I am currently at as well. FBO running Stage 2 93 octane Bm3.
I have a Dorch Stage 1 HPFP coming this week and after that gets installed I will be getting a custom tune. Not sure from who yet but that is the route that I want to go. I do not like the constant overboost early in the RPM range that the OTS map has. Im overboosting from 2800rpms all the way to 4300 rpms.

It seems like the custom tunes are the ones that are consistently putting down the most power. The thought of having a tune that is made for my specific car and for my specific climate is appealing to me!
All good points! Please take before/after logs to see if you spot any differences with your Dorch installation.

Curious what you ended up paying for the Dorch HPFP and what installation quotes you got? How long did you have to wait?
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2020, 11:21 AM   #29
ozymandias435
F36 GC
Rep

Quote:
All good points! Please take before/after logs to see if you spot any differences with your Dorch installation.

Curious what you ended up paying for the Dorch HPFP and what installation quotes you got? How long did you have to wait?
My HPFP has been holding good on the OTS map so far...I've not seen it dip yet. But I knew I was going to go custom and maybe push the turbo a little more so decided to get the Dorch.

Would love someone to chime in on whether I should get the custom tune done with stock HPFP and then if the HPFP crashes, install the Dorch, and then start revising? Or option 2 (current plan) go ahead and install before I get the custom tune and not have to worry about the HPFP anymore?

Payed $1,200 for it, Ordered it on May 11 and it is supposed to be delivered towards the end of this week. When ordered it sayed 2-3 weeks backordered so they are right on par with that.

Going to install it myself

Last edited by ozymandias435; 05-25-2020 at 11:30 AM..
Appreciate 1
johnung1364.00

05-25-2020, 02:04 PM   #30
imperfectluck
Private
Rep
Drives: 14' F30

Had put through an order for Mike @ N54 tuning for a stg 1 pump on the May 4th so hoping to also get mine as well sometime this week.

ozymandias435 on the OTS maps you most likely won't run into the stock HPFP crashing but on my custom tune because my tuner had originally started out targeting 20 psi for boost, the HPFP was clearly struggling to keep up. I have gone through two different tuners that were recommended to me and was surprised they both just shot for 20 psi on the first revision then I had to speak with my current tuner to dial it back some as it seemed too much for my FBO setup without an upgraded HPFP to be able to hit that target.

Would suggest to have it installed prior to getting the custom tune so they can work with the knowledge of knowing it's in place. Some without a custom tune have noted a chirping sound from the pump which a custom tuner will be able. Spoke with Chris Dorch and he's in the works on getting BM3 to support the ability to not need a customer tuner to deal with the additional noise of the pump so that should be coming sometime in the near future of writing this at least.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2020, 02:17 PM   #31
ozymandias435
F36 GC
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperfectluck View Post
Had put through an order for Mike @ N54 tuning for a stg 1 pump on the May 4th so hoping to also get mine as well sometime this week.

ozymandias435 on the OTS maps you most likely won't run into the stock HPFP crashing but on my custom tune because my tuner had originally started out targeting 20 psi for boost, the HPFP was clearly struggling to keep up. I have gone through two different tuners that were recommended to me and was surprised they both just shot for 20 psi on the first revision then I had to speak with my current tuner to dial it back some as it seemed too much for my FBO setup without an upgraded HPFP to be able to hit that target.

Would suggest to have it installed prior to getting the custom tune so they can work with the knowledge of knowing it's in place. Some without a custom tune have noted a chirping sound from the pump which a custom tuner will be able. Spoke with Chris Dorch and he's in the works on getting BM3 to support the ability to not need a customer tuner to deal with the additional noise of the pump so that should be coming sometime in the near future of writing this at least.
Thank you for your input! That is more along the lines of what I was thinking. Feel like OTS Stage 2 is bordering on maxing it out already with some people even showing a maxed pump. Hopefully I do not get the chirping lol
Appreciate 1