F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > F36 Custom Steering Wheel replacement
GetBMWParts

10-01-2022, 10:49 AM   #1
ravenorxs
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW '18 440i M-Perf. Edition

F36 Custom Steering Wheel replacement

Hi folks,

I've ordered a custom steering wheel online to replace the stock M-Sport one I have that came with my car.

I've watched a few DIY tutorials on replacement (specifically this one)

It seems straighforward enough, disconnect the battery in the trunk, let the charge drain, remove air bag, then steering wheel, then individual buttons and trim pieces and transfer them to the new frame.

However I don't believe the video covers heated steering wheel / vibration modules. (which is where my questions are from)

I know I will lose the heated steering wheel function as my wheel doesn't have that tech built in. Will the car throw up any errors if I use a non-heated steering wheel? Do I need to code anything? or do I just leave the heating module unplugged and that's it?

Similarly for the vibration module, it looks like that is an actual vibrating motor that sits in the left stalk of the steering wheel frame. I assume this will not cause any issues transferring between wheels? To me I assume that is just plug and play?

Steering wheel below:
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 02:21 AM   #2
alexonahurry
Ozzy Dude
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330i LCI

Garage List
That's a nice steering wheel ! The vibration motor will just snap on and you can simply leave the connector for the heated function unplugged. No need to wait after battery disconnect. Have done this about 10 times and never had an issue. It's really a simple mod.

Last edited by alexonahurry; 10-02-2022 at 03:00 AM..
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2022, 10:02 AM   #3
ravenorxs
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW '18 440i M-Perf. Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexonahurry View Post
That's a nice steering wheel ! The vibration motor will just snap on and you can simply leave the connector for the heated function unplugged. No need to wait after battery disconnect. Have done this about 10 times and never had an issue. It's really a simple mod.
That’s awesome! Thanks for the confirmation. Now just gotta wait for the steering wheel to come in
Appreciate 0