F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > Wheel bearings
ARMA SPEED

03-12-2021, 06:12 PM   #1
EstorilMSport
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Wheel bearings

Has anyone noticed wearing out wheel bearing after track use? I'm getting a whurring noise above 40 mph after track days from the rear and not sure if its the M-sport diff or a wheel bearing but it's getting super annoying as I daily the car. I saw a recent video of a M4 needing wheel bearing after a hard run at the Nurbrugring and thought this might be the issue. Appreciate any guidance. https://youtu.be/SxK0N_Vn_Gk
2014 335i M Sport: bootmod3 Stg 2 E30 Custom, AA CP, CSF FMIC, GFB DV , VRSF catless DP, aFe stage 2 intake, KW Clubsport coilovers, MP LSD, aFe sway bars, F80 LCAs, monoball thrust arms, Delrin rear subframe bushings, xHP Stage 3.
IG: German_car_connection
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 02:16 PM   #2
brigade24
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 X-dive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstorilMSport View Post
Has anyone noticed wearing out wheel bearing after track use? I'm getting a whurring noise above 40 mph after track days from the rear and not sure if its the M-sport diff or a wheel bearing but it's getting super annoying as I daily the car. I saw a recent video of a M4 needing wheel bearing after a hard run at the Nurbrugring and thought this might be the issue. Appreciate any guidance. https://youtu.be/SxK0N_Vn_Gk
interesting. The rear bearings on my F30 are sealed, press-in units, not bolt-ins like the M4.

the rear axle nut backed out on my car so it destroyed the bearing so I had to install a new one.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 03:36 PM   #3
EstorilMSport
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigade24 View Post
interesting. The rear bearings on my F30 are sealed, press-in units, not bolt-ins like the M4.

the rear axle nut backed out on my car so it destroyed the bearing so I had to install a new one.
How did you know it was the bearing (what were the symptoms)? Did you replace it yourself?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 01:39 PM   #4
brigade24
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstorilMSport View Post
How did you know it was the bearing (what were the symptoms)? Did you replace it yourself?
It was making a "whirling" sound when I would move the weight to that side of the car. the more aggressive the lean, the more noise it made. That's how i knew it was the driver side rear bearing.

I did replace it myself. it does require a couple of special tools but they are not too expensive. I used the otc hub grappler (just the grappler itself, not the one with all the bushing cups) and bought a separate bushing install kit...doing it that way was SO MUCH ChEAPER than buying the full hub grappler kit.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 07:27 PM   #5
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

How does that even happen? I thought the rear axle nut is torqued on pretty well and then it's staked into a notch on most vehicles...

Quote:
It was making a "whirling" sound when I would move the weight to that side of the car. the more aggressive the lean, the more noise it made. That's how i knew it was the driver side rear bearing.

I did replace it myself. it does require a couple of special tools but they are not too expensive. I used the otc hub grappler (just the grappler itself, not the one with all the bushing cups) and bought a separate bushing install kit...doing it that way was SO MUCH ChEAPER than buying the full hub grappler kit.
Do you have a link to both tool (sets) you used?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 07:50 AM   #6
brigade24
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
How does that even happen? I thought the rear axle nut is torqued on pretty well and then it's staked into a notch on most vehicles...

Do you have a link to both tool (sets) you used?
It happens when you forget to notch the axle nuts! Drivers side backed out, passenger side didn't. autocrossing on 200tw tires with 3700lb vehicle also didn't help the situation.

link to the tools i used:

hub grappler: https://www.jbtools.com/otc-6575-1-hub-grappler-puller/

bearing/bushing install kit: https://www.amazon.com/OrionMotorTec...s%2C186&sr=8-5

for the bearing install kit, they have a diagram showing the different cup sizes. Make sure the kit has the size you need. Going from memory, im almost certain this is the kit i have...very handy if you do this kind of work.
Appreciate 2
Polo088161593.50