F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > M Adaptive Suspension oscillation/bounce
proTUNING Freaks

04-11-2021, 05:07 PM   #1
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440iGC F36

I test drove a 340i with M Adaptive suspension and a 440i with M sport suspension today. The 340i bounced after speed humps which is a sign of worn shocks. It only had 30k miles on it. The 440i with 6k miles reacted as expected and compressed once then settled. The 340i was like an old Cadillac. It felt ok in turns but I didn't drive it hard on a test drive.

Is this just the active suspension trying to be soft or is something wrong? I would like to go drive another car with the M Active suspension for comparison but also want opinions here.
      04-11-2021, 05:20 PM   #2
AllaVodka
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW B58

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE82 View Post
I test drove a 340i with M Adaptive suspension and a 440i with M sport suspension today. The 340i bounced after speed humps which is a sign of worn shocks. It only had 30k miles on it. The 440i with 6k miles reacted as expected and compressed once then settled. The 340i was like an old Cadillac. It felt ok in turns but I didn't drive it hard on a test drive.

Is this just the active suspension trying to be soft or is something wrong? I would like to go drive another car with the M Active suspension for comparison but also want opinions here.
Did you put the adaptive into sport mode?

I have an adaptive and comfort mode is shit, sport mode really tightens it up.

Dinan shocks + bump stops + shockware (all made specifically for the adaptive suspension), is an amazing and fairly cheap improvement for the suspension. Drastically improved the handling, bouncing, and body roll.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 05:25 PM   #3
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllaVodka View Post

Dinan shocks + bump stops + shockware (all made specifically for the adaptive suspension), is an amazing and fairly cheap improvement for the suspension. Drastically improved the handling, bouncing, and body roll.
Yeah I put it in sport and it still oscillated a little but it did improve. The 440i was noticeably more composed after the bump. Then I drove my GF's CX-5 (~60K miles) back from the dealer and went over the same bumps and it reacted like the 440i.

My judgement was a little compromised during the 340 sport vs comfort experiment though because the sales guy was fairly adamant it did not have adaptive suspension. It 100% did though. I noticed the difference then decoded the VIN to check.

The only way to figure this car out may be to drive another 340i adaptive over the same bumps at my townhosue.
      04-11-2021, 05:39 PM   #4
AllaVodka
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah I put it in sport and it still oscillated a little but it did improve. The 440i was noticeably more composed after the bump. Then I drove my GF's CX-5 (~60K miles) back from the dealer and went over the same bumps and it reacted like the 440i.

My judgement was a little compromised during the 340 sport vs comfort experiment though because the sales guy was fairly adamant it did not have adaptive suspension. It 100% did though. I noticed the difference then decoded the VIN to check.

The only way to figure this car out may be to drive another 340i adaptive over the same bumps at my townhosue.
Interesting. Did the car have blue M calipers, and fog light delete? Those are tell tale signs of the THP. I've found the m adaptive suspension to be great vs the regular sport. But every car is diff, previous owner could have put some shitty springs in it or something.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 06:03 PM   #5
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. Did the car have blue M calipers, and fog light delete? Those are tell tale signs of the THP. I've found the m adaptive suspension to be great vs the regular sport. But every car is diff, previous owner could have put some shitty springs in it or something.
No it did not have the blue calipers. I definitely look for those. It DID have the power kit and exhaust which was pretty sweet. The suspension oscillation scared me away until I find another car to test. It looked to be stock height and rode pretty smooth like a stock BMW sport suspension would so I don't suspect any aftermarket suspension.
      04-11-2021, 06:26 PM   #6
AllaVodka
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No it did not have the blue calipers. I definitely look for those. It DID have the power kit and exhaust which was pretty sweet. The suspension oscillation scared me away until I find another car to test. It looked to be stock height and rode pretty smooth like a stock BMW sport suspension would so I don't suspect any aftermarket suspension.
I could be wrong. But if the car did not have the blue calipers, then I dont think it could have had the adaptive suspension. The adaptive suspension only (im pretty sure) comes in the track and handling package, which includes blue calipers, variable sport steering, extra cooling (no fog lights), and the adaptive suspension.

Something seems weird imo
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 06:38 PM   #7
jnj2455
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i 6MT/RWD/MPPSK/2VF

Quote:
I could be wrong. But if the car did not have the blue calipers, then I dont think it could have had the adaptive suspension. The adaptive suspension only (im pretty sure) comes in the track and handling package, which includes blue calipers, variable sport steering, extra cooling (no fog lights), and the adaptive suspension.

Something seems weird imo
Nope 2VF was available as a standalone option outside of THP, which is exactly how mine is set up.

It wouldn't be abundantly evident unless you were looking at the struts themselves though.
Appreciate 1
AllaVodka634.00
      04-11-2021, 08:51 PM   #8
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep

Yeah adaptive was DEFINITELY available without the THP. I just drove a 440 GC with adaptive and it did the exact same thing over speed bumps. It seems to just be how the active suspension acts at low speeds. At least it's normal. I'm buying the car right now hahaha this one is Estoril Blue and it's amazing.
      04-12-2021, 02:36 AM   #9
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Yeah adaptive was DEFINITELY available without the THP. I just drove a 440 GC with adaptive and it did the exact same thing over speed bumps. It seems to just be how the active suspension acts at low speeds. At least it's normal. I'm buying the car right now hahaha this one is Estoril Blue and it's amazing.
Look into Dinan Shockware. Its a software mod that transforms adaptive suspension. No more bounce or porpoising.

I put it on my M-sport with adaptive and changed everything for the better. Comfort went from horrible to brilliant. Sport went from bouncy to tight and perfect.

Think about ditching run flats too once they wear out.

Dinan Shockware and go flat tires are a great choice before you start spending money on suspension changes. Good luck!
Appreciate 1
jnj2455352.50
      04-12-2021, 03:02 AM   #10
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

In general - Adaptive M is softer than M Sport in "Comfort", and stiffer than M Sport in "Sport". That's the whole point... versatility. And it is brilliant IMO.

Quote:
I could be wrong. But if the car did not have the blue calipers, then I dont think it could have had the adaptive suspension. The adaptive suspension only (im pretty sure) comes in the track and handling package,
Yes, you are wrong It is a stand-alone option, as already noted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
Look into Dinan Shockware. Its a software mod that transforms adaptive suspension. No more bounce or porpoising.

I put it on my M-sport with adaptive and changed everything for the better. Comfort went from horrible to brilliant. Sport went from bouncy to tight and perfect.

Think about ditching run flats too once they wear out.

Dinan Shockware and go flat tires are a great choice before you start spending money on suspension changes. Good luck!
Be careful with this recommendation. The LCI suspension (incl. the Adaptive M) is already much improved from the pre-LCI. "Different" is not necessarily "better".
      04-12-2021, 06:54 AM   #11
njdangelo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5 50i

I have the adaptive suspension and agree with your initial thoughts. It's floaty compared to other suspensions. And it does wear out quickly. Had both of my fronts changed under warranty around 45k because of noise/excessive play. Obviously the same happened to the rear after the warranty expired. I think it's a case of jack of all trades, master of none. It tries to be able to do too many things and so it does none of them at the level you would expect from BMW.
      04-12-2021, 08:02 AM   #12
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
I've not driven a 704 equipped car, but every F3X car I've driven, both pre- and post-LCI was too bouncy for my taste in comfort.

I really didn't like the standard suspension for either AWD or RWD. The M Adaptive improves both drive platforms, but like already mentioned it still has a tendency to porpoise on bumpy roads when in comfort mode. I haven't driven a pre- and post- LCI back-to-back to feel the difference. I actually drove in them in reverse order: Post-LCI a year or two before my pre-LCI car. I do remember not being very impressed with either one in comfort.

Running in sport mode helps a great deal and on my pre-LCI car, the Shockware upgrade on it's own (just the flash and no other suspension bits) was a huge improvement in both comfort and sport mode.
      04-12-2021, 08:52 AM   #13
jnj2455
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
In general - Adaptive M is softer than M Sport in "Comfort", and stiffer than M Sport in "Sport". That's the whole point... versatility. And it is brilliant IMO.

Be careful with this recommendation. The LCI suspension (incl. the Adaptive M) is already much improved from the pre-LCI. "Different" is not necessarily "better".
I've been tempted to give the Dinan a try on my LCI, especially with the relatively cheap price for the flash. I did test a pre-LCI at this point like 4-5 years ago and I remember feeling how heavy, boat like it felt but my memory of it is fuzzy at best.

I'd say the post LCI is certainly better but I went from a AWD/Luxury Line/non-2VF to RWD/MSport/2VF so I'd hope it would certainly feel better. When I moved on from my GTI, I did get this strong sense that my 440i was a substantially heavier/number car but now I've just gotten used to it
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 08:56 AM   #14
AllaVodka
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnj2455 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post

I've been tempted to give the Dinan a try on my LCI, especially with the relatively cheap price for the flash. I did test a pre-LCI at this point like 4-5 years ago and I did remember feeling how heavy, boat like it felt but my memory of it is fuzzy at best.

I'd say the post LCI is certainly better but I went from a AWD/Luxury Line/non-2VF to RWD/MSport/2VF so I'd hope it would certainly feel better. When I moved on from my GTI, I did get this strong sense that my 440i was a substantially heavier/number car but now I've just gotten used to it
Honestly, I was nervous too. I've literally never modded a car before. Dinan shockware was my first. It transformed the handling on the car. Adding dinan springs + bumpstops took it even further. As someone who's afraid to mod cars. I feel really comfortable with those mods. Those are the only mods ive ever done lol
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2021, 08:58 AM   #15
jnj2455
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Honestly, I was nervous too. I've literally never modded a car before. Dinan shockware was my first. It transformed the handling on the car. Adding dinan springs + bumpstops took it even further. As someone who's afraid to mod cars. I feel really comfortable with those mods. Those are the only mods ive ever done lol
I noticed that you have a B58 listed under your username, so I can assume you have a LCI? And it still felt noticeably improved for you?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 09:31 AM   #16
AllaVodka
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnj2455 View Post
Quote:
I noticed that you have a B58 listed under your username, so I can assume you have a LCI? And it still felt noticeably improved for you?
Yessir, 340i. The improvement was really noticeable. The body roll was reduced a ton, and the amount of bounce when hitting a bump was also reduced. I have to drive over train tracks frequently and it felt improved.

I was worried it would be more harsh on shitty roads, but it actually improved the driving experience and at times I feel potholes less because theres less bounce. It drives less like a boat now.

Only issue, is because its a little lower, its easier bottom out of parking lots if your not careful. But thats any sports oriented car
Appreciate 0