F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > COVID Vaccine
Extreme Powerhouse
View Poll Results: Will you have the jab?
Yes 191 87.61%
No 27 12.39%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

04-13-2021, 07:04 AM   #1673
zofinger
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 335d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChester View Post
How many 45-49year olds are there in the UK?

I'm in the next batch of 40-44yrs I guess and just wondering how long before this gets opened up.
3.7m (in England) of 45-49 yr-olds.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 07:15 AM   #1674
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
It's a while off for me then yet at the current rate of first doses!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 08:14 AM   #1675
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
Given the negative sentiment that's been generated towards them within the bloc I'm beginning to think the EU might as well terminate its contract with AZ and focus on the use of other vaccines. It's clear a large proportion of their population will now simply refuse to take the AZ vaccine so I'm not sure what useful purpose it serves for the EU to continue to thump the table and push for more doses? Even if AZ could oblige the evidence suggests it would just mean even more of their vaccine sat in fridges that could be used elsewhere...
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 08:27 AM   #1676
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
[QUOTE=JNW1;27462001]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
Quote:
my in laws (who live in Europe) have chosen to not take the az jab which they were offered 'due to risk of blood clots' and though Europe is being ravaged by the pandemic want to hold out till another alternative without the risk is offered to them even if they have to wait for months.
virus 1 people 0.

However, the thing that puzzles me slightly is the EU continuing to demand more doses of the vaccine - and stop the export of any made in the EU to countries outside the bloc - when they've already got loads of it unused and a population that's in many cases refusing to take it. It seems they think it's somehow better sat in their fridges than it is in the arms of people elsewhere in the world who are prepared to take it which is, to put it politely, a touch bizarre....
Wrt poster above and J and J b58_f32
I have suspected that this is why they are keeping the stocks ofAZ vac as the problems with other vac will surface and az may turn out to be a ok choice and they'll have stocks by then?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 08:57 AM   #1677
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58_f32 View Post
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56733715 this is suspended in USA now.
I think more long term testing is needed, the risk is to much for younger adults. Majority of younger adults don't fall that ill with covid. As each day goes on there is more reports of clots. So i don't blame people if they are delaying doses. A blood clot can impact life significantly.
I would prob wait now and not vaccinate until all these blood clots are properly investigated.

Not a anti vaxer btw, just saying there is no harm in being a bit more cautious and dont blame people if they choose not to have in the temp term.
Well he's banned now but what we're seeing feels to some extent like a vindication of Hooded's position from a few weeks back! The process of getting the vaccines out has been accelerated - understandably so in the circumstances - but what he was questioning was why would someone who's young, fit and unlikely to suffer much if at all if they catch Covid going to take a vaccine that has unproven medium and long-term effects? Increasingly looking like a fair question!

That said, given my age I was quite happy to have the AZ vaccine and, unless further doubts about its safety come to light, I'll still be happy to have it as my second jab at the beginning of June. But in the circumstances I do understand why people below the age of 30 with no underlying health conditions might not be falling over themselves to get to their local vaccination centre...
Appreciate 1
Harryg276.00
      04-13-2021, 09:08 AM   #1678
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Well he's banned now but what we're seeing feels to some extent like a vindication of Hooded's position from a few weeks back! The process of getting the vaccines out has been accelerated - understandably so in the circumstances - but what he was questioning was why would someone who's young, fit and unlikely to suffer much if at all if they catch Covid going to take a vaccine that has unproven medium and long-term effects? Increasingly looking like a fair question!
Have been thinking the same thing. Similar for the Vitamin D comments.

Sometimes it is simply how we put things across, which get the forum excited.

I personally wouldn't be surprised if we get more vaccine related issues, as time passes. I get my second AZ next week, hope it doesn't okay.

My biggest concern at the moment with watching Covid across the world, is the latest variant from Brazil. Seen it referred to as P2 variant? 17 or 18 mutations in the mix. Some experts suspect it is why the young are being hospitalised. Not good news if it gets a bigger hold and spreads out to the rest of the world.
Appreciate 1
JNW13122.00
      04-13-2021, 09:12 AM   #1679
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Yes they are suggesting a pause in the J&J vaccine here for the what seems to be a rare blood clotting or thromboembolic event. It seems similar to what is reported for the AZ vaccine. As of now that data here says 6 women between 18-48 developed unusual clots 6-13 days after the vaccine. What remains unclear is if this is the normal rate or vaccine induced. The data right now says 6 symptomatic people exist out of 6.8 million doses. Johns Hopkins just put out that this rate falls within their normal estimated rate of this thromboembolic event.

Out of an abundance of caution they are pausing or at least suggesting to pause the use of the J&J vaccine and instead are using the mRNA vaccines, which so far have not had these issues and have been used in far more vaccinations.

This is a very rare event that from a risk standpoint is much lower than the risk of complications from the virus, especially in adults. With long COVID and reports of high numbers of long term complications even in those with mild cases of infection, most probably don't want to be infected. Let's hope the mRNA vaccines keep going into arms and they sort out the issues with the J&J and AZ vaccine.

More waves of infections are coming. Look at Brazil right now.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 09:18 AM   #1680
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:
Have been thinking the same thing. Similar for the Vitamin D comments.

Sometimes it is simply how we put things across, which get the forum excited.

I personally wouldn't be surprised if we get more vaccine related issues, as time passes. I get my second AZ next week, hope it doesn't okay.

My biggest concern at the moment with watching Covid across the world, is the latest variant from Brazil. Seen it referred to as P2 variant? 17 or 18 mutations in the mix. Some experts suspect it is why the young are being hospitalised. Not good news if it gets a bigger hold and spreads out to the rest of the world.
Yes Brazil is the hot zone with the P lineage of viruses. These new infections are working their way down the age groups. The long term implications are not trivial and many of these are not reported as robustly as the hospitalizations and deaths. But if one looks at the hard data there are a lot more long term issues than generally appreciated. These are issues are seen even in those with mild symptoms.
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2021, 09:24 AM   #1681
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
@CajunBMW
covid causes clots by immune mediated means.
vaccine that prevents covid by stimulating immune response much like covid is there an inherent tiny risk of clots we have to accept due to its mechanism there?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 09:25 AM   #1682
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=KRS_SN;27466893]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
Quote:
my in laws (who live in Europe) have chosen to not take the az jab which they were offered 'due to risk of blood clots' and though Europe is being ravaged by the pandemic want to hold out till another alternative without the risk is offered to them even if they have to wait for months.
virus 1 people 0.

However, the thing that puzzles me slightly is the EU continuing to demand more doses of the vaccine - and stop the export of any made in the EU to countries outside the bloc - when they've already got loads of it unused and a population that's in many cases refusing to take it. It seems they think it's somehow better sat in their fridges than it is in the arms of people elsewhere in the world who are prepared to take it which is, to put it politely, a touch bizarre....
Wrt poster above and J and J b58_f32
I have suspected that this is why they are keeping the stocks ofAZ vac as the problems with other vac will surface and az may turn out to be a ok choice and they'll have stocks by then?
So far none of these clotting issues have been reported in the mRNA vaccines. With so many vaccines administered it seems like clotting may not be an issue with these vaccines. I think it would be interesting to look if a rare outcome of adenoviral infection is a clotting disease.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 09:34 AM   #1683
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
@CajunBMW
covid causes clots by immune mediated means.
vaccine that prevents covid by stimulating immune response much like covid is there an inherent tiny risk of clots we have to accept due to its mechanism there?
I know it is a weird dynamic. The virus causes clots and that can be deadly. The vaccine may cause clotting also through an immune mechanism, perhaps much like heparin treatment. That is certainly just speculation.

But I know in the reports I was reading today, it seems that these clotting events fall within what might be the normal risk? But I think you are right that this is immune stimulation that causes this. Again perhaps similar to heparin treatment. The possibility exists that the vaccine might have a rare immune event that causes clotting and that in turn perhaps in our every day life we come into contact with benign viruses, bacteria and or fungi that causes the same thing in rare individuals. If so this would be why the vaccine and normal risks seems to be similar, at least based on the data that I have seen as of today.

Again some of my comments are speculation but I think they make sense based on available data and of course the known mechanisms of the rare issues associated with heparin treatment.
Appreciate 2
KRS_SN13482.00
      04-13-2021, 10:27 AM   #1684
DougMcL
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 40e, Honda Jazz Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBMW View Post
The vaccine may cause clotting also through an immune mechanism, perhaps much like heparin treatment. That is certainly just speculation.
I am not sure that it is speculation. Interesting article here:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ondon-hospital

It would seem that the clots are triggered by the PF4 antibody.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 02:59 PM   #1685
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougMcL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBMW View Post
The vaccine may cause clotting also through an immune mechanism, perhaps much like heparin treatment. That is certainly just speculation.
I am not sure that it is speculation. Interesting article here:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ondon-hospital

It would seem that the clots are triggered by the PF4 antibody.
Thanks, yes good article. I believe we are talking about the same thing, I was probably a bit cautious.
Appreciate 1
DougMcL787.00
      04-13-2021, 04:36 PM   #1686
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobyd View Post
Yup, great news that we've now moved to everyone over 45 being able to book a jab!

Get on it if you haven't already!

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/corona...s-vaccination/
Nope it's still England only
Attached Images

04-13-2021, 05:15 PM   #1687
Kolianovskyi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

My wife and I got JJ two weeks ago.
Our friends got second Pfizer last Saturday.
Another couple got first moderna early in April.
All are good.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 11:34 AM   #1688
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
129k first jabs today and 417k second so holding up nicely - hopefully when the supply picks up again we can better these numbers even further.

My parents also received their second jabs today as well
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 12:05 PM   #1689
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChester View Post
129k first jabs today and 417k second so holding up nicely - hopefully when the supply picks up again we can better these numbers even further.

My parents also received their second jabs today as well
Great!!! Keep getting those shots in arms.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 01:01 PM   #1690
zofinger
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 335d MSport

Got the Moderna jab today.

So far just a sore arm much like the flu jab.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 12:36 PM   #1691
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Well currently things are not looking too bad here in the UK but reading about what's happening in places like India and Brazil doesn't exactly give me a warm glow. Seems they're seeing mutations of the virus which are more virulent, are attacking younger people and also appear more likely to be able to circumvent the existing vaccines; let's hope they don't find their way here in significant numbers or we could be looking at another set-back in a few months.

And it probably demonstrates again why we need the vaccination programme to be global - no good us being vaccinated if mutations are developing in parts of the world that aren't.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 01:34 PM   #1692
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Let's hope we can get the booster vaccines with tweaks for new variants tested and signed off as well.

Although we are clearly moving to a better place suspect a serious level of COVID is going to persist well beyond this year and the next.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 04:51 AM   #1693
DougMcL
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 40e, Honda Jazz Hybrid

Quote:
And it probably demonstrates again why we need the vaccination programme to be global - no good us being vaccinated if mutations are developing in parts of the world that aren't.
Exactly why vaccine delivery should not be politicised. Ireland in its wisdom has suspended use of the AZ vaccine in the under sixties. Not great for Ireland in general, but not great for the island as a whole, or indeed its nearest neighbour, Great Britain. What a mess.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 06:27 AM   #1694
PeakyJ
Enthusiast
England
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougMcL View Post
Ireland in its wisdom has suspended use of the AZ vaccine in the under sixties.
I don’t understand why countries are suspending use of the AZ vaccine which appears to have a CVT rate of just 5 per million within 2 weeks of receiving the vaccine, when the mRNA vaccines have a CVT rate of 4.1 per million. Hardly a huge difference.

Source https://osf.io/a9jdq/

Last edited by PeakyJ; 04-18-2021 at 06:36 AM..
Appreciate 3
JustChris17485.50
KRS_SN13482.00
JD64266.50
Closed Thread