F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Would I be crazy to get a 335i
ARMA SPEED

01-16-2015, 01:57 PM   #23
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG335 View Post
I've had 'the call' from my dealer today (well a voicemail followed up by an email)... "We have some great deals right now, it could be time to consider a replacement"

Oh dear.

Some test drives next week I think.
Lol good luck.

Interesting to see what you go for
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 02:01 PM   #24
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

Was in same boat time comes you got to say sod it and do it. Days of 6 pot turbo are limited, either now or never.
      01-16-2015, 02:05 PM   #25
Pablo68
Left the building
Wales
Rep
Drives: Not a diesel.

LOL just over a year ago I was about the only 335i driver on here being bombarded by diesels drivers. Now it seems there's more and more.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 02:12 PM   #26
Steven1077
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
Funnily enough, I was looking at the 335i also... although, for me, as I am already s-drive, I was not so concerned with the drivetrain side of things... I came to the conclusion that there probably wasn't so much in it and the cost to change wasn't really worth it...

The only point I would make, Brigand , is that part of my decision was based on the fact that the LCI to the 340i comes this year, and I didn't feel the need to swap now, only to see the new car in 6 months' time and wish I'd waited...

If the 1-er LCI is anything to go by, the 3-er LCI may, now, be worth waiting for...

Having said that, if LCI is not so important to you, there may be good discount to haggle now on a pre-LCI car...
After seeing the 1 series LCI I'd get in fast on a pre LCI 3 series before they make a total mess of it, they made the top of the front look a little better but the rest is horrid
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 02:28 PM   #27
Irnbrukid
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Imaginary M2

If you can do it and stick to your budget then why not
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 04:58 PM   #28
General
No_Country
Rep

Bit of a curve ball this evening, my Jaguar girlie is trying to sort me an XE S for mid February to try out.

(as I failed to go before Christmas)

Although personally it's too early to get an XE.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 06:16 PM   #29
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edinburra View Post
Go for it, you know you want to. You will not, repeat not regret it. A 335i is awesome.
On the subject of the Mustang I'm currently driving one in Florida while on holiday and am going to post an Off Topic report, next week, watch this space.
Excellent buddy, I can't dent I find it intruiging but I can't believe the interior for a second will be up to BMW Full Leather standard.

I'm in Florida in May....might have to upgrade my car on the trip now
      01-17-2015, 06:03 AM   #30
pdk42
Eh? Team member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335i

Garage List
I went from an f31 330xd to an f31 335i. TBH, I do miss the xdrive a bit. However, the overall experience of the 335i more than makes up for it. The engine is a peach and the car overall is lighter and better balanced. Like others, I still think the suspension setup could do with tweaking (reading Nisfan's Bilstein write up from last year has got me thinking). Unless you're doing big mileage, I'd say go for it.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 06:22 AM   #31
GBR1
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 45e on order

Talking of LCI's and Florida, I am currently in Miami for month for work. (Have some Dodge SUV piece of C><*).

On the rear of the cars here many of them don't have indicators as such (the rear driving lights flash) although the external shape is the same, the internal layout of the lights is different and is (subjectively) better.

Not many 3 series around, most I have seen have been M3's and M4's! A lot more of the new C Class around but still looks rubbish, all here seem to be C300 4Matics!?

LOTS of X5 and LOTS of 6 series, nearly all are x50i..

GBR1
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 06:36 AM   #32
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Any reason why you wouldn't?

At your mileage the fuel cost is inconsequential. There's no way I'd have a diesel if it wasn't for my high mileage.

I like the xdrive but do see it more as a traction benefit for torquey diesels than for petrols. That's not to say that the 335i hasn't got plenty, but the characteristics of the torque delivery in the petrol means it comes in a little more progressively and more evenly spread than the diesels where it surges at the point where you accelerate out of bends.

And before any 335i drivers come along and tell me that if they want to wag the tail on exit then it's a doddle, I'm not doubting that, just more that it's too easy with the diesel for it to interfere it's forward progress when you don't want it.

Long story short is yes you should!
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 06:43 AM   #33
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
I went from an f31 330xd to an f31 335i. TBH, I do miss the xdrive a bit. However, the overall experience of the 335i more than makes up for it. The engine is a peach and the car overall is lighter and better balanced. Like others, I still think the suspension setup could do with tweaking (reading Nisfan's Bilstein write up from last year has got me thinking). Unless you're doing big mileage, I'd say go for it.
I don't think improving the balance is a sensible reason for changing, given that £650 spent on ACS springs on the 330xd will make it handle better than a 335i. This was confirmed for me when I had a loan 320d M Sport that was some way behind my heavier 335d in terms of handling.

Wanting a petrol engine is a different matter, and with the OP's mileage, fuel economy is just a small footnote in overall costs.

I don't know if I am the only one to feel a little pain at the expense of someone replacing their new car after just 4000 miles. Personally I think it would be a crazy decision to change to such a similar car at huge expense. If the OP needed a bigger car, or wanted something totally different then I could just about understand. Keep it for longer and get something totally different later on is my suggestion.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 07:41 AM   #34
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
I don't know if I am the only one to feel a little pain at the expense of someone replacing their new car after just 4000 miles. Personally I think it would be a crazy decision to change to such a similar car at huge expense. If the OP needed a bigger car, or wanted something totally different then I could just about understand. Keep it for longer and get something totally different later on is my suggestion.
You are not the only one, i just couldn't do it. As I see it anyone changing at such low mileage is not getting value out of the car (if we don't hide the expense with man maths).

I don't follow the reasoning while fuel costs are low either... diesel is also cheaper. That can change again, so not a solid reason for change.

I also assume if someone buys a diesel for low annual mileage (where fuel costs is not the big issue), they choose a diesel because they want the characteristics of a diesel engine.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 09:22 AM   #35
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
You are not the only one, i just couldn't do it. As I see it anyone changing at such low mileage is not getting value out of the car (if we don't hide the expense with man maths).

I don't follow the reasoning while fuel costs are low either... diesel is also cheaper. That can change again, so not a solid reason for change.

I also assume if someone buys a diesel for low annual mileage (where fuel costs is not the big issue), they choose a diesel because they want the characteristics of a diesel engine.

HighlandPete
I absolutely agreed with Pete.

It's a head and heart thing. In your head it doesn't make financial sence - but in your heart ...... it's a great engine ...... But as I said earlier I still think it's worth waiting for a 340i to make the change worthwhile.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 09:41 AM   #36
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
I absolutely agreed with Pete.

It's a head and heart thing. In your head it doesn't make financial sence - but in your heart ...... it's a great engine ...... But as I said earlier I still think it's worth waiting for a 340i to make the change worthwhile.
Agree also.

Main reason for 330 was did not want 4 pot petrol, 320i was bit lame.

Also previously my driving has been weekly runs from wolves to Liverpool, or Anglesy etc.

I do not tend to use it for daily work commutes. Just use bike.

So wanted some sort of mileage return.

Remember low total mileage does not always mean short journeys.

For example today, wolves to heathrow T5 - was journey average of 45mpg, with an hour or so of it sitting at 48-49 mpg (self harm mode).

Popped stick left for a bit and dropped it to around 40mpg.
(It does sound good for s diesel when you knock it down a few gears and pop foot down).

Due to my discount the finance side of things is not to much of a worry.

However agree low mileage and 8 months in to things is sooo not best time to do it lol.

Admittedly in 30 years this is only my 3rd diesel (Mondeo (2007), E91 (2012), F31 (2014).

Also 2007- 2012, the 2nd car has always been petrol.

It's finding a decent petrol Estate / tourer.

Time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 04:20 PM   #37
PeteGB335i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Not sure if worth waiting for 340i.... But either way u won't regret going for it. If discounts get pretty aggressive do it. The car is a pleasure to drive.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 12:01 PM   #38
General
No_Country
Rep

Okay, was at Park Lane today.

Had a chat to my dealer I got my 330 from ( great guy btw).

Anyhow, the amount I would lose coupled with getting wife and daughter a car, sort of makes it not ideal to change at moment.

The 335i would actually work out cheaper per month

However I would get hung from wife lol.

So I will be definitely getting the ACS springs, just have to decide before or after holiday in May lol - Scottish highland roads.....

The problem is, the 330d Xdrive is a bloody good car, it's fast, quick and with BP Ultimate, relatively quiet.

Yes the 335i sounds and drives excellent (it's a 6 pot petrol after all).

Also, if I am patient and sort wife's car and daughters, then I can comfortably upgrade to something with an M... Are you allowed bike racks on them? Lol.

So thanks to everyone but will stay put for now and upgrade the car .
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 03:19 PM   #39
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post

Also, if I am patient and sort wife's car and daughters, then I can comfortably upgrade to something with an M... Are you allowed bike racks on them? Lol.

Correct decision........ for now I'd say.

...and to answer the rack question,yes, no probs . Bit of a squeeze but she's a load lugger too! I've learned the hard way and have a better system now, I just keep all 4 Thule Pro-Rides locked in postion on the bars now. Lift the entire thing off in one so it all fits back on in the time you can hex bolt in 4 bolts! Brilliant! I couldn't do this with previous Thule set up.
Attached Images

Last edited by JustChris; 02-03-2015 at 01:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 04:12 PM   #40
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Car Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post

...and to answer the rack question,yes, no probs . Bit of a squeeze but she's a load lugger too! I've learned the hard way and have a better system now, I just keep all 4 Thule Prod Rides locked in postion on the bars now. Lift the entire thing off in one so it all fits back on in the time you can hex bold in 4 bolts! Brilliant! I could do this with previous Thule set up.
That's rather clever Chris - never thought of doing that!!!

Oh and summary - M3/4 eminently practical :-)
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2015, 04:44 PM   #41
G82Dude
-
Rep
Drives: M4CMxD

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Car Chris View Post

...and to answer the rack question,yes, no probs . Bit of a squeeze but she's a load lugger too! I've learned the hard way and have a better system now, I just keep all 4 Thule Prod Rides locked in postion on the bars now. Lift the entire thing off in one so it all fits back on in the time you can hex bold in 4 bolts! Brilliant! I could do this with previous Thule set up.
You don't have the carbon fibre roof though, but the metal/sunroof version? Would it work with the carbon roof!?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 05:07 PM   #42
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Car Chris View Post

Excellent

Yeah 6 months of ownership is not bestest time lol.

However. It did answr some other questions so a very worth while visit.

I do like thought of an M car with bikes lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 01:55 AM   #43
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Dude View Post
You don't have the carbon fibre roof though, but the metal/sunroof version? Would it work with the carbon roof!?
Yup correct, its why I chose BSM and elected for non CF roof.
      02-03-2015, 01:56 AM   #44
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
That's rather clever Chris - never thought of doing that!!!

Oh and summary - M3/4 eminently practical :-)
Why thank you, one tries!

I only thought of it this time around as it was getting time consuming sliding in and locking the Pro Ride carriers each time. This time around its much quicker all on/all off. Worth the extra for the OEM to me which has very neat roof mount screws and locking mech.