F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > ZF 8HP45 aftermarket trans cooler
Extreme Powerhouse

06-18-2019, 03:41 PM   #1
rcsup1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 35i

ZF 8HP45 aftermarket trans cooler

Hi All,

Anyone here running an aftermarket trans cooler on the 8-speed? I have searched high and low but have not come across an install.

As we continue to raise power and use launch control this should be something worth while.

I have a cooler already mounted up front but have not gotten around to connecting it. My idea is to unplug the quick connect lines from the factory cooler and use a quick connect to -6AN fitting adapter.Then run braided lines to the cooler.

The problem is that I am having a hell time locating this adapter. I was able to locate this one below. But I can't locate the factory size of the oem quick connect. I mic'd it and got 5/32 so I'm not sure it would work.

http://www.himni-racing.com/fittings...o-ring-fitting
2011 F25 X3 35i |M-Sport Front Bumper Conversion|Largus Full Adjustable Coilovers|FTP Charge Pipes|Gutted Catalytic Downpipe|RB Oil Cooler Thermostat Delete|25 Row Oil Cooler|Custom Built Cold Air Intake|9"AEM Cone Filter Behind Kidney Grills With Outerwear|Precision Raceworks Coils|BM3 Stage 2 E30 Tune| BM3 Upgraded 8-speed TCU Flash|395mm X5M Front Brakes
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 04:09 PM   #2
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport Estoril Blue

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I've pondered doing something like this, but my main question is, where to mount another cooler and get adequate flow?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 04:45 PM   #3
rcsup1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I have an X3 with the M-Sport front bumper so plenty of space. I mounted it in driver side duct with a custom grill. I have a 25 Row oil cooler on the left for the engine.

I'm sure you could do something similar.
Attached Images

2011 F25 X3 35i |M-Sport Front Bumper Conversion|Largus Full Adjustable Coilovers|FTP Charge Pipes|Gutted Catalytic Downpipe|RB Oil Cooler Thermostat Delete|25 Row Oil Cooler|Custom Built Cold Air Intake|9"AEM Cone Filter Behind Kidney Grills With Outerwear|Precision Raceworks Coils|BM3 Stage 2 E30 Tune| BM3 Upgraded 8-speed TCU Flash|395mm X5M Front Brakes
Appreciate 1
bqik77.50
      06-19-2019, 12:26 AM   #4
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eschmacher View Post
I've pondered doing something like this, but my main question is, where to mount another cooler and get adequate flow?
Is there any indication that the factory cooler doesn't cool the transmission sufficiently?

Also, remember, once you increase the distance of the cooling plumbing, you're increasing the resistance that whatever pump mechanism has to overcome in order to push ATF through the entire cooling system.
Appreciate 1
zinner559.00
      06-19-2019, 10:31 AM   #5
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport Estoril Blue

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Is there any indication that the factory cooler doesn't cool the transmission sufficiently?

Also, remember, once you increase the distance of the cooling plumbing, you're increasing the resistance that whatever pump mechanism has to overcome in order to push ATF through the entire cooling system.
It's more a preventative thing, I worry that the extra power + xhp will increase the load quite a bit, and more load means more heat.
Interior: Bavsound stage 1 and subs - custom trunk sub by Mike1327
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 01:48 PM   #6
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eschmacher View Post
It's more a preventative thing, I worry that the extra power + xhp will increase the load quite a bit, and more load means more heat.
Are you tracking the car with that extra power? If you're not tracking the car for 25+ minutes at a time... you probably wouldn't need it.
Appreciate 1
zinner559.00
      06-19-2019, 04:15 PM   #7
rcsup1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I live in Florida, trust me it's needed..lol Launching the car on a boost brake is very hard on trans temps. Especially on an XDrive. Keeping yours trans temps in check will keep it alive much longer.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 09:23 PM   #8
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsup1 View Post
I live in Florida, trust me it's needed..lol Launching the car on a boost brake is very hard on trans temps. Especially on an XDrive. Keeping yours trans temps in check will keep it alive much longer.
Do you have data to back this up? Are you monitoring ATF temperatures? How quickly does the ATF temperature rise while your on "boost brake"? How long are you holding "boost brake"?

If by boost braking you mean you're launching your car from a standstill, how is a transmission cooler going to cool your ATF? Heat exchangers don't work if there's no airflow through the heat exchanger - which would be the case if you're launching your car from a standstill.
Appreciate 1
zinner559.00
      06-19-2019, 09:28 PM   #9
TheShadow
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i M sport

Quote:
Quote:
Do you have data to back this up? Are you monitoring ATF temperatures? How quickly does the ATF temperature rise while your on "boost brake"? How long are you holding "boost brake"?

If by boost braking you mean you're launching your car from a standstill, how is a transmission cooler going to cool your ATF? Heat exchangers don't work if there's no airflow through the heat exchanger - which would be the case if you're launching your car from a standstill.
Correct, his Temps would be much higher when idling than if he was actually driving. And I don't think it will be that hard on the trans unless you are constantly abusing the car at pretty high numbers. As far as XHP there's no data yet on the reliability of the trans when using it.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 09:36 PM   #10
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Correct, his Temps would be much higher when idling than if he was actually driving. And I don't think it will be that hard on the trans unless you are constantly abusing the car at pretty high numbers. As far as XHP there's no data yet on the reliability of the trans when using it.
So if he's worried about the temperatures of the car while the car is at a stand still, then he should just install a fan that provides airflow over the stock transmission heat exchanger. There's no point in buying a larger aftermarket heat exchanger if you can't get airflow over the exchanger.
Appreciate 1
zinner559.00
      06-19-2019, 10:35 PM   #11
rcsup1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I have no data on this car yet. I have always ran them in all my cars where it made a marked improvement in keeping temps in check. It is just good insurance.

I'm not looking to sell anyone on the idea here, that is not the purpose of this thread. Please do your own research and feel free to make your own conclusions.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 10:39 PM   #12
rcsup1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So if he's worried about the temperatures of the car while the car is at a stand still, then he should just install a fan that provides airflow over the stock transmission heat exchanger. There's no point in buying a larger aftermarket heat exchanger if you can't get airflow over the exchanger.
The small stock cooler is water cooled btw. You won't be putting a fan on that anytime soon

Last edited by rcsup1; 06-20-2019 at 10:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 09:06 AM   #13
bqik
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 435i

before considering an aftermarket cooler, I recommend flushing the ATF.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 09:08 AM   #14
bqik
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 435i

Quote:
I have an X3 with the M-Sport front bumper so plenty of space. I mounted it in driver side duct with a custom grill. I have a 25 Row oil cooler on the left for the engine.

very nice X3
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 10:33 AM   #15
rcsup1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bqik View Post
very nice X3
Thanks! I fully intend to flush/change the fluid and filter. I kind of wanted to do this all in one shot.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 10:38 AM   #16
hardparker
Father of Frankenfold
Rep
Drives: Yo daddy's 2014 X3 M Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [0.00]
2014 BMW X3  [0.00]
I have fittings like this that are intended to plug directly into the transmission cooling input/output ports. I was originally thinking I'd completely bypass the factory ATF to coolant heat exchanger for a B&M 11x11x1.5 cooler, identical to the one that I use for my oil cooler.

However, as much as transmissions like cool fluid, they sometimes don't shift as well until they're warmed up, so I was considering routing the output from the transmission to the stock heat exchanger, to get the fluid up to temp if it's not, then out from the stock heat exchanger to the B&M cooler in the fender well, then back to the transmission with cooled ATF.

With that setup, the ATF should be at optimal temperatures. I had the same cooler on a Subaru 5EAT and it stayed at 160* at most. It's overkill, really, but that's fine.

There are fittings like these below that can be used most easily to plug into the factory ATF cooler lines, deleting the stock heat exchanger for a loop out to an external cooler. I don't think they're 5/16" fittings like for the fuel system. More like 3/8" or something, but I'd have to check. The downside is having to retain the shit plastic ATF cooler lines at all. The first set of fittings shown above let you do custom braided lines with AN fittings throughout. Proper race car style!

What I'd really like to find is the female version of the fitting above. That way I could do full custom lines and fittings with the ideal circuit to the factory heat exchanger, external cooler, then back to the trans.

If anyone finds the female versions, give a holla.
      06-21-2019, 10:41 AM   #17
perryo91
Captain
Uganda
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:

Never seen an X3 like this... the front end and ride height is perfect, looks perfect dude!
      06-21-2019, 11:09 AM   #18
rcsup1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardparker View Post
I have fittings like this that are intended to plug directly into the transmission cooling input/output ports. I was originally thinking I'd completely bypass the factory ATF to coolant heat exchanger for a B&M 11x11x1.5 cooler, identical to the one that I use for my oil cooler.

However, as much as transmissions like cool fluid, they sometimes don't shift as well until they're warmed up, so I was considering routing the output from the transmission to the stock heat exchanger, to get the fluid up to temp if it's not, then out from the stock heat exchanger to the B&M cooler in the fender well, then back to the transmission with cooled ATF.

With that setup, the ATF should be at optimal temperatures. I had the same cooler on a Subaru 5EAT and it stayed at 160* at most. It's overkill, really, but that's fine.

There are fittings like these below that can be used most easily to plug into the factory ATF cooler lines, deleting the stock heat exchanger for a loop out to an external cooler. I don't think they're 5/16" fittings like for the fuel system. More like 3/8" or something, but I'd have to check. The downside is having to retain the shit plastic ATF cooler lines at all. The first set of fittings shown above let you do custom braided lines with AN fittings throughout. Proper race car style!

What I'd really like to find is the female version of the fitting above. That way I could do full custom lines and fittings with the ideal circuit to the factory heat exchanger, external cooler, then back to the trans.

If anyone finds the female versions, give a holla.
Thanks hardparker great info here. Where can I get the quick connect fittings you pictured on the bottom? Those are the ones I have been looking for.

You could always purchase a 180 degree thermostat like this one from Derale.
I will probably go this route

Derale Transmission Oil Cooler Thermostat 15719; Oil Bypass Style 180° F

https://derale.com/product-footer/fl...s/13011-detail

"This Billet Style Cast Aluminum Fluid Control Thermostat with 3/8" NPT ports allows the oil to bypass the cooler until it reaches 180°F at which point the internal thermostatic valve will close and force 100% of the oil through the cooler while maintaining a constant pressure system. This process allows the engine/transmission to achieve the ideal operating temperature quicker before passing the oil through the cooler. The unit can be rotated 180° to change flow direction."
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 11:15 AM   #19
rcsup1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryo91 View Post
Never seen an X3 like this... the front end and ride height is perfect, looks perfect dude!
Thanks man I appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 12:22 PM   #20
hardparker
Father of Frankenfold
Rep
Drives: Yo daddy's 2014 X3 M Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [0.00]
2014 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks hardparker great info here. Where can I get the quick connect fittings you pictured on the bottom? Those are the ones I have been looking for.

You could always purchase a 180 degree thermostat like this one from Derale.
I will probably go this route

Derale Transmission Oil Cooler Thermostat 15719; Oil Bypass Style 180° F

https://derale.com/product-footer/fl...s/13011-detail

"This Billet Style Cast Aluminum Fluid Control Thermostat with 3/8" NPT ports allows the oil to bypass the cooler until it reaches 180°F at which point the internal thermostatic valve will close and force 100% of the oil through the cooler while maintaining a constant pressure system. This process allows the engine/transmission to achieve the ideal operating temperature quicker before passing the oil through the cooler. The unit can be rotated 180° to change flow direction."
I already have a Derale 25792 for it, which uses 1/2" and -8 AN fittings. Same as the one I have on my oil cooler.

Those fittings are by Pinnacle, but they're currently out of stock: https://fasterbypinnacle.com/product...21-automatics/

The others are available through Black Market: http://www.bm-parts.com/index.php?ro...&product_id=59
      09-08-2023, 03:40 PM   #21
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardparker View Post
I already have a Derale 25792 for it, which uses 1/2" and -8 AN fittings. Same as the one I have on my oil cooler.

Those fittings are by Pinnacle, but they're currently out of stock: https://fasterbypinnacle.com/product...21-automatics/

The others are available through Black Market: http://www.bm-parts.com/index.php?ro...&product_id=59
Did you ever finish this install?

If there was no existing cooler, where would you tap into?
Appreciate 0