F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > M5 20" Wheels
Studio RSR

03-10-2015, 01:15 AM   #1
Ian335xd
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 M5 2019

M5 20" Wheels

I have just ordered a new M5 but didn't select the 20" inch options mainly due to the cost (£2080) and the fact it took my monthlies over the amount I was comfortable with.

I am happy with this but I am worried that this will cost me when I come to trade my car in,has anybody got any thoughts on this?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 01:32 AM   #2
roshambo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 435i M Sport

Congrats on your order! I doubt it would make much impact. They won't hold much value, and if they did, they'd need to be in absolutely mint condition upon part exing. Wheels is one of those things that can be easily changed on a car so keeping it standard there is a good option
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 01:57 AM   #3
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian335xd
I have just ordered a new M5 but didn't select the 20" inch options mainly due to the cost (2080) and the fact it took my monthlies over the amount I was comfortable with.

I am happy with this but I am worried that this will cost me when I come to trade my car in,has anybody got any thoughts on this?
Good choice of car and congratulations on your order

I personally prefer the look of the 20s but that's entirely subjective. I don't seem to recall them adding much to my monthlies as they seemed to inflate the final value. Do you know how much your payments would increase by?

Whatever you choose you're going to have one heck of a car!
      03-10-2015, 01:58 AM   #4
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian335xd View Post
I have just ordered a new M5 but didn't select the 20" inch options mainly due to the cost (£2080) and the fact it took my monthlies over the amount I was comfortable with.

I'm surprised it made the monthlies higher as I would of thought it would of made the value of the car higher at the end of the contract higher.

When you look at the approved used M5's, most if not all have the 20 inch wheels. Surely that answers your question....

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 03:12 AM   #5
Ian335xd
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

The monthlies increased by £33 per month.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 03:19 AM   #6
MWA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AY M4

Quote:
The monthlies increased by 33 per month.
Seriously? You're getting an M5 and you're worried about 30quid... :

When I ordered my car, I wanted 18's for comfort not because of price tag. Sales man convinced that when it comes to selling a highly specced car with standard boots it would be difficult.

I drove cars with 18's and 19's back to back and decided on the 19's

I am very glad I did
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 03:35 AM   #7
Ian335xd
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWA View Post

When I ordered my car, I wanted 18's for comfort not because of price tag. Sales man convinced that when it comes to selling a highly specced car with standard boots it would be difficult.

I am very glad I did
It's not the £33 as such but it took the monthlies over a figure I was happy with...You have to stop somewhere.

Maybe I should just order them and pay cash for them
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 03:45 AM   #8
MWA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AY M4

Quote:
Quote:

I am very glad I did
It's not the 33 as such but it took the monthlies over a figure I was happy with...You have to stop somewhere.

You have every right, and I know exactly where you're coming from... However, wheels are almost the only option that you can add that would change the looks of the car and IMO they make a significant improvement. Don't be persuaded by others as long as you know you would be happy with it and would have no regrets. Ultimately you could always trade your set for them in the future. When a new shape comes out, BMW would be discounting accessories and you could get yourself a set for a good price then.

Good luck man, and let's not forget the M5 is a beast that would put a smile on your face when you drive it every single time
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 04:32 AM   #9
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

I wouldn't worry.

M5s depreciate like a rock thrown off the Shard.

Enjoy it as it is.

Appreciate 1
      03-10-2015, 04:37 AM   #10
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:

I am very glad I did
This^!

The 19's look so small on the 5 series & if you're worried about £30 i think maybe you shouldn't be getting an M5!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 04:43 AM   #11
335i nthehouse
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston
Quote:

I am very glad I did
This^!

The 19's look so small on the 5 series & if you're worried about 30 i think maybe you shouldn't be getting an M5!
Not sure I agree with that sentiment.

You set a value. Shop within it. It takes will power to not want more. If the M5 comes within that budget then the op has every justification to buy one. Fair play to you!

If the wheels take you over don't have them, I'm fairly sure you can get a delivery mileage or imported set for less and sell the 19s if it became an issue down the line
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 04:44 AM   #12
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

Quote:
Quote:

I am very glad I did
It's not the 33 as such but it took the monthlies over a figure I was happy with...You have to stop somewhere.

There's got to be a point where you have to draw the line. I knew how much I wanted to spend each month so tailored my options list towards that and upped the deposit to make sure I achieved it.

It's your money though and if you're happy with the 19s then that's £2k you don't need to spend
      03-10-2015, 04:47 AM   #13
335i nthehouse
Captain
Rep

What sort of deal did you get if you don't mind me asking?

Tell me to mind my own business if you wish, just interested as saw some to and fro on this a week or so ago
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 04:50 AM   #14
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i nthehouse
Quote:
Quote:

I am very glad I did
This^!

The 19's look so small on the 5 series & if you're worried about 30 i think maybe you shouldn't be getting an M5!

You set a value. Shop within it. It takes will power to not want more. If the M5 comes within that budget then the op has every justification to buy one. Fair play to you!

If the wheels take you over don't have them, I'm fairly sure you can get a delivery mileage or imported set for less and sell the 19s if it became an issue down the line
It depends on opinion of course, but to me the 20's are so essential on the M5, as are the wheel size upgrades that have been offered on other M cars.

I still cringe a bit every time I see an E46 M3 on the standard 18 inch wheels!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 05:05 AM   #15
335i nthehouse
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i nthehouse
Quote:
Quote:

I am very glad I did
This^!

It depends on opinion of course, but to me the 20's are so essential on the M5, as are the wheel size upgrades that have been offered on other M cars.

I still cringe a bit every time I see an E46 M3 on the standard 18 inch wheels!
Im a lover of big wheels myself (with 20s on my F30) so can't argue with that.

If the OP is happy with 19s to stay in budget then rock on I say - lucky fella indeed. I don't think it would be the difference between taking or leaving an M5.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 05:33 AM   #16
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

Sometimes you can pick up a little-used set of original BMW wheels with tyres for around half price from companies that sell aftermarket alloys.

Just sayin'.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 05:58 AM   #17
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i nthehouse View Post

I agree with the above to a point, the fact is the OP started this thread and so to me says he isn't happy with his decision as he wants other people to convince him...

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 07:10 AM   #18
335i nthehouse
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbeemerboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i nthehouse View Post

I agree with the above to a point, the fact is the OP started this thread and so to me says he isn't happy with his decision as he wants other people to convince him...
OP queried whether it effects trade in, not whether his car looks alright though

And I think the answer is mostly yes, but only a little bit.

If I'd set his budget I know I'd buy the car, then would probably end up doing some sort of private deal for wheel upgrade, keeping original set to sell or put back on at trade in
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 08:55 AM   #19
sweels
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcan View Post
Sometimes you can pick up a little-used set of original BMW wheels with tyres for around half price from companies that sell aftermarket alloys.

Just sayin'.
And it of course means you have a set of 19s going spare that you could use for winters!

In terms of the comment on the 18s on an e46 m3, I agree on the looks, but I did read at the time that the engineers (and even some of the press) felt that particular car drove better on the 18s, so when I see one, I assume it's a discerning driver.

Presume if you put 20s on that don't come on the car from the factory that it will count as a modification, whereas (Unless with admiral) your insurance would not be hiked, but if you add them after market, it could be. Again, probably not by a huge amount in the scheme of things, but another potential cost to consider.

If you sell the car before the pcp is up then presumably it can have any mods on that you like whereas if you go the full distance on the pcp and then walk away, the car would have to be 'as ordered' (even if ironically it would be worth more to them with the 20s on. However given the nature of the OP's question, I doubt this scenario will come up!)
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 09:20 AM   #20
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Surely you're worrying about something way way down the line.

Enjoy your car, who know what trade in will bring. Petrol prices might be through the roof again that would be far more a factor.

M5tastic!
      03-10-2015, 09:20 AM   #21
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Greek View Post
I wouldn't worry.

M5s depreciate like a rock thrown off the Shard.

Enjoy it as it is.

LMFAO Nick.......
      03-10-2015, 09:25 AM   #22
singh21
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Get some aftermarket 21"
Appreciate 0