F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Picking up my 420d m sport plus next week! Connect drive?
GetBMWParts

06-17-2021, 01:49 AM   #1
rchipcar
Rep
Drives: mini cooper s

Picking up my 420d m sport plus next week! Connect drive?

Hey guys! Im really excited to say I’m going to be picking up my first nice car next week, a 420d m sport plus. It’s from a main dealer and had has 30,000 miles. Been threatening to get a BMW for ages but the time has finally come. I was recommended this forum on pistonheads!

I’ve never had a car with any kind of tech/sat nav. The car is an LCI 2017 car.

The dealer says the map was updated on June 3rd the euro 2021 - 1 but I’ve since learned there is a Euro 2021 - 2 that’s just come out! I’ve asked if it could be updated to the latest map - the salesman said he’s put it to someone else to try but he doesn’t think so as now the map upgrades will have been used. Does that sound right? Should I keep trying to get the latest version?

Secondly, I’ve just learnt about connective drive. Will I have have to subscribe to it and how much is it currently? Internet seems to have different prices listed!

Things I want to are, just the sat nav with live traffic updates and listen to music via Spotify. I use an iPhone. The car doesn’t have apple car play.

Also, if the dealer wont update the map, how much would it cost me?

Thanks a lot!
Rich
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 02:21 AM   #2
Archer-s
Captain
Rep
Drives: on order

For Spotify, you can do this over Bluetooth or via usb from the iPhone, won’t be as integrated as car play, but should get you by. There was a bmw app for Spotify, but not sure if that’s running anymore.

I am pretty sure the map updates on LCI models was over the air, check with the dealer, if this is the case, then you just sign up on connected drive, and they will get automatically downloaded. I would wait till Black Friday, the price normally drops, and then buy the pack, unless you plan to use the nav loads, 2021-1 will be good enough for now. For the dealer to update it, I think will be a right pain for them, unless the subscription is still live in the car.

Finally for live traffic, it’s £50 a year when I added it recently, and this is a must have, you can get it as part of a package, but for me it’s the only feature that really adds value.

You can check from the idrive which packages are still live, but this could change once you register it in your name.
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2021, 02:53 AM   #3
rchipcar
Rep

Thanks so much for the detailed reply, that’s starting to make sense! Ah ok that’s good, if they can just be updated over the air when I subscribe that will do!

Ah yeah I won’t be using the nav loads, I just have flashbacks to this old sat nav i used to use called ‘nav man’ it was so outdated it would always get you lost but I was too tight to replace it! Was a true curse.

Yeah the real time traffic updates should be great - more stress free drives hopefully!

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 03:22 AM   #4
BMW Fanboy
Private
Rep
Drives: 430iM Sport

rchipcar: I found the BMW dealer very helpful when picking up my 430i in February 2020. Being a pre registered vehicle (registered 31/10/19) with only 19 miles technically it was a AUC vehicle but the salesman I dealt with helped me set up a Connected Drive account & paired my mobile to the car before I left the dealership as part of the "hand over" procedure. As for Spotify, I had the app on my Samsung S8 so once the phone was paired I could change playlists & change tracks all via the I Drive as the Spotify app appeared in Connected Drive. That was until late July 2019 when Spotify disappeared from Connected Drive. This had nothing to do with BMW: it appears that Spotify is not supporting anything below I Drive 7. When I did a Spotify update on my phone I lost the use. You can still use your phone Spotify app over Bluetooth but can only change tracks via I Drive. You have to use your phone to change playlists. Apparently you can reset your phone Spotify app to an old version but not being technical I haven't risked this.
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2021, 03:31 AM   #5
Rathian
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3 M Sport

Garage List
2022 BMW iX3  [0.00]
Although you don't have CarPlay, some vehicles came with all the hardware and you could pay to activate CarPlay through the BMW subscription services app/website. May be worth having a look as CarPlay would solve your map and Spotify issues.

If the option isn't available, a WiFi module may be all you need to retrofit to enable several companies to activate CarPlay outside of BMW.

This place will Tel you what to check for:

https://bimmer-remote.com/products/c...ideo-in-motion
      06-17-2021, 03:31 AM   #6
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D Xdrive Msport+

Garage List
Congrats on the purchase & I would push the dealers as much as you can.

As others have said map updates are through connected drive (subscription based service) and the now MYBMW phone/tablet app (a newer version of the better connected drive one they have forced on users) for remote services & send route to car etc. Ask the dealership to let you have a "Genius" at the dealership go through it with you after handover they usually are pretty good.

You can also check the communications software is up to date using your vin and this website https://www.bmw.com/en/footer/software-updates.html this has helped get over connection issues & changes in phone software compatibility issues a few times for me. If there is one you simply download it to your pc and put it on a clean pen drive and then into the USB in the armrest to update the same as the map up dates if you did not have/are not going to pay the over the air premium which is very hit and miss anyway. Much better to have the subscription and pull down and USB stick it to the car.

Make sure the dealer has cleaned out the idrive before hand over and you leave the dealership. When I picked up my F31 it was still linked to the previous owners connected drive app (with vehicle tracking activated) had all their last destinations & addresses and phone numbers stored with a number of albums ripped from CD to the hard drive too.

Prior to pick up I would get the My BMW app on your phone then ask the "Genius" at Handover to help set it up before you leave. See where you get to with the map update with the dealer but if they won't budge sign up to connected drive through their website using the cars info (vin) and it will tell you what it has active or is available for your car.
      06-17-2021, 01:08 PM   #7
rchipcar
Rep

Thanks so much, this information is brilliant really, can't thank you all enough! I will email and ask for a genius to show me how to work it all after the handover. I've just put the vin in and the software is up to date, that's a good sign! Hopefully it's been sorted properly.

I'm not actually tied to using Spotify, is there another service like Deezer etc that works better?

Also, OT but my car currently has the chrome surround grill, I'll probably change it to an OEM black grill, do you think it's reasonable to try my luck and see if the parts department could chuck one in/discount one? I feel like the salesman is going to hate me!

Thanks again!
Appreciate 1
Rathian153.50
      06-17-2021, 02:24 PM   #8
Rathian
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW iX3  [0.00]
Don't ask, don't get is my motto.
      06-17-2021, 10:49 PM   #9
rchipcar
Rep

Thanks! Hah I’ve had a change of heart and I’m going to keep the stock grill for now

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 05:17 AM   #10
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchipcar View Post
Thanks! Hah I’ve had a change of heart and I’m going to keep the stock grill for now

Cheers!
Enjoy it as it is and keep an eye on eBay at the listings from BMW Dealers I dropped lucky with mine when I saw a dealer who had a pair listed for £56 so snapped them up. They definitely do change the look of the car especially on the M sport models matching in with the shadow line trims. Always think the look odd on cars with the satin silver window trims and roof bars tho.
      06-18-2021, 09:15 AM   #11
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Lightbulb

GB maps are over the air, but full euro maps are downloaded onto a USB memory stick and then uploaded to the car, but both woukd need a subscription if the car is over 3 years old. (It is free for the first three years.) There are several options with subscriptions. Mine is a 2019 420i Gran Coupe M-Sport and shows the following options once my 3 years is up.
12 month subscription to Connected Drive.

Connected Package £59
1. Online speech processing
2. BMW online
3. Remote services

Connected Package Plus £99
As above plus
4. Real Time Traffic Information
5. USB Map updates

Connected Package Professional £159
As above plus
6. Over air map updates
7. On street parking

Connected Package Excellence £239
As above plus
8. Concierge Service

The USB map update Package alone is £79.
You also have to download the BMW map download manager on a computer and haveca 64GB memory stick.

I will probably go for the £99 one, as it has all I need.

Hope this helps

Last edited by sensible; 06-18-2021 at 09:49 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2021, 01:17 AM   #12
rchipcar
Rep

Thank you for taking your time on that - thats info that I couldn’t find - much appreciated.

Yeah looks like the £99 one will do me as well then.

Looks like my pick up is going to be next Saturday now still, will be here in no time!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 03:21 AM   #13
rchipcar
Rep

Hey guys, if anyone spots this who has a 420d with the b47 engine, could you let me know what kind of fuel economy I might able to get? I’m coming from a 2007 Mini Cooper S which got less than 30mpg on my commute! Like sometime 26/27 mpg - about 13 miles each way. For my commute in this I’ll probably be in eco pro mode to try and see how much I can beat my mini by haha. And also make me feel better about the £490 tax for the next two years! Holy smoke!

Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 03:52 AM   #14
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hey guys, if anyone spots this who has a 420d with the b47 engine, could you let me know what kind of fuel economy I might able to get? I'm coming from a 2007 Mini Cooper S which got less than 30mpg on my commute! Like sometime 26/27 mpg - about 13 miles each way. For my commute in this I'll probably be in eco pro mode to try and see how much I can beat my mini by haha. And also make me feel better about the £490 tax for the next two years! Holy smoke!

Thanks guys.
I average 42/43mpg in my Msport+ xdrive F31 with that same engine. I keep it mostly in comfort & on mixed road types and driving without trying to be frugal. Of course it does better than this on long runs 200miles+ but also a lot worse when in sport/Sport+ and heavy right foot.
      06-19-2021, 04:30 AM   #15
rchipcar
Rep

Thanks for that! They’re good figures - if mine stays in the 40s I’ll be pleased- when you’re down in the 27s it’s quite depressing!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 04:36 AM   #16
Rathian
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW iX3  [0.00]
I have the N47 2ltr diesel engine so would assume similar if not better MPG than what I'm getting.

Over the lifetime of my ownership my average is 64mpg. 90% of my driving is on the motorway through roadworks (60 limit North / 50 limit South).

Not sure what type of roads your 13 mile commute consists of but would assume you'd get into the 40's at least quite easily.
      06-19-2021, 04:42 AM   #17
rchipcar
Rep

Thanks they are fantastic figures!

It’s 13 miles of 30-40 roads unfortunately, I leave early enough in the morning that I can get a nice clean run but the way home can be quite heavy traffic!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 04:44 AM   #18
Mike_R_F30
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport

Just a side note, if you decide to remap the car down the line the B47 does well, stage 1 my 320d is 232bhp and 500Nm from the 190bhp and 400Nm it was stock, fuel economy is no worse than before if anything it's slightly improved and the smiles per gallon are much higher
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 09:23 AM   #19
rchipcar
Rep

Ah thanks for the tip - I can’t really see myself going down that path purely because I know I’ll be so happy with the 420d as it is for what I need! And I’m also just a complete wuss. If I can keep it for 5 years and have as little go wrong as possible I’ll be very happy!

Are you running 19 inch rims? Do you have any recommendations for a run flat tyre for all year round? I won’t drive in the snow anyway (I’d get the train to work!) Hah I’m sorry this has just turned into a thread for my random questions!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 11:09 AM   #20
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ah thanks for the tip - I can't really see myself going down that path purely because I know I'll be so happy with the 420d as it is for what I need! And I'm also just a complete wuss. If I can keep it for 5 years and have as little go wrong as possible I'll be very happy!

Are you running 19 inch rims? Do you have any recommendations for a run flat tyre for all year round? I won't drive in the snow anyway (I'd get the train to work!) Hah I'm sorry this has just turned into a thread for my random questions!
My F31 came with Bridgestone run-flats fitted from factory which were absolutely terrible things. I switched all 4 when they had done their job for GoodYear Eagle F1 ASY 2 run-flats and it transformed my car I had the F1 ASY 3 non run-flats on my previous E91 and there is little difference between those and the run-flat version I have on my car now.

After a puncture in rural Wales (the woeful Bridgestone's) late at night on our way to the holiday home, I think the Run-Flats are worth their weight in gold as they got us safely to where we needed to be and then the car was dealt with in the morning with BMW assist taking it to the nearest dealer for new tyres.
      06-20-2021, 04:38 AM   #21
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

Quote:
Are you running 19 inch rims? Do you have any recommendations for a run flat tyre for all year round? I won’t drive in the snow anyway (I’d get the train to work!) Hah I’m sorry this has just turned into a thread for my random questions!
I ended up with non-RFT Michelin PS4S on mine when I changed recently, but then I do intentionally have RFT Pirelli's for the winter wheels. The most modern RFT you can get at the monent as a * marked BMW spec tyre is the latest Pirelli P-Zero but if you're not on XDrive then the * marked bit really isn't important. That said, neither the Michelin PS4S or Good Year Eagle F1 Asym 5 are available in RFT so you get the Asym 2's or 3's and then the Conti Sport Contact 5, both of which are older technology. Unfortunately having not tried any of these I couldn't give hands on advice but the Pirellis were the top of my list for going down the RFT route.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 04:47 AM   #22
un1eash
Captain
Rep
Drives: M235i

I had Bridgestone S001 fun flats on my old F36 420i and found them really good all round, I was impressed with the wet weather performance and when I did push the car had no complaints in the twisty stuff.
Appreciate 0