F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Stupid quote
Extreme Powerhouse

03-10-2015, 03:39 PM   #1
Andy30D
Captain
British Antarctic Territory
Rep
Drives: 330D M sport fully loaded

Stupid quote

Just thought i would share...

Im 3k in negative equity at the moment...(I'm not, just a piss poor PX value!) on my 330D, however i thought i would see what the costs were to get into a 435i...

Long story short, wasn't beating on price and did no negotiating, just thought i would see what the first price was...

anyway, with no real options...

£13k down, £500 a month.

He said he might get this down to £8k and £500 a month.

Anyway, i laughed, said the 4 series wasn't worth that much, and that I'm test driving an M4 at another dealer Sunday (which im looking forward to!)

Shook him up a bit, i genuinely think because i was in jeans and a hoodie, and I'm 24, and i wasn't in a suit and over 50...he took me for a bit of a joke (i don't mean this to be offensive!)

I had the above judgement at an Audi garage near me a couple of years ago, he was open about saying 'i was just in for a test drive' - never expected it from BMW but there you go!

Safe to say thats one dealer i wont bother with moving forward!
2004 Honda CBR 600-RR.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 04:53 PM   #2
rich100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 320i Xdrive msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy30D

Im 3k in negative equity at the moment...(I'm not, just a piss poor PX value!) on my 330D, however i thought i would see what the costs were to get into a 435i...

Long story short, wasn't beating on price and did no negotiating, just thought i would see what the first price was...

13k down, 500 a month.

He said he might get this down to 8k and 500 a month.

Anyway, i laughed, said the 4 series wasn't worth that much, and that I'm test driving an M4 at another dealer Sunday (which im looking forward to!)

Shook him up a bit, i genuinely think because i was in jeans and a hoodie, and I'm 24, and i wasn't in a suit and over 50...he took me for a bit of a joke (i don't mean this to be offensive!)

I had the above judgement at an Audi garage near me a couple of years ago, he was open about saying 'i was just in for a test drive' - never expected it from BMW but there you go!

It's a poor salesman in my opinion that makes a judgement by what a person is wearing or what age they are for that matter.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 05:03 PM   #3
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich100 View Post
It's a poor salesman in my opinion that makes a judgement by what a person is wearing or what age they are for that matter.
Yeah very much so, or their accent !
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 05:20 PM   #4
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

TBH, if you're driving a diesel, I can't see anyone taking you seriously.....

Appreciate 1
      03-10-2015, 05:27 PM   #5
Martan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Greek View Post

Pmsl....you're too sharp
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2015, 05:29 PM   #6
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martan View Post
Pmsl....you're too sharp
Yeah he is too sharp....

Would be a shame if he cut himself.......

(Neck please make it the neck)....

.... Oh bugger did I say that out loud.....

Appreciate 1
      03-10-2015, 05:39 PM   #7
rich100
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martan View Post
Pmsl....you're too sharp
Yeah he is too sharp....

Would be a shame if he cut himself.......

(Neck please make it the neck)....

.... Oh bugger did I say that out loud.....

Too sharp maybe but difficult to beat for sheer entertainment value.

I think every forum should have one.
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2015, 05:41 PM   #8
rich100
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Greek

Nick have you thought of doing a guest editorial for what diesel car magazine?
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2015, 05:46 PM   #9
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep

Quote:
Nick have you thought of doing a guest editorial for what diesel car magazine?
They'd pay me?

Or lynch me?

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 05:48 PM   #10
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep

Quote:
Too sharp maybe but difficult to beat for sheer entertainment value.

I think every forum should have one.
I'm available for weddings, funerals and bar mitzvahs.

Appreciate 1
      03-10-2015, 05:58 PM   #11
Beancounter_74
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i F20, 449i F33

Problem is, as you 'only' have the 328i, you run the risk of being late to such events, suggest you get a 335d
Appreciate 2
      03-11-2015, 05:45 AM   #12
rich100
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter_74
Problem is, as you 'only' have the 328i, you run the risk of being late to such events, suggest you get a 335d
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 06:50 AM   #13
335i nthehouse
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter_74
Love this.

Only one thing worse than a diesel lover, and that's a witty diesel lover!
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2015, 06:54 AM   #14
335i nthehouse
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy30D

13k down, 500 a month.

He said he might get this down to 8k and 500 a month.

Cutting a very long story short, a best mate of mine was a family friend growing up of a member of Muse and he told me a story of when the guy first got a bit of cash, went into a lotus dealer and was given the cursory up and down glance when asking for a test drive, only to bang out the cash for a purchase on the table

I'd love to do this one day!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 07:18 AM   #15
WullieD20
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy30D View Post
Similar experience in DP of Glasgow the weekend the 4-Gran Coupe was launched! Douglas Park invited the public to the launch on their web site and when we went along for a look, we searched the showroom to find it wasn't there!
When we asked where it was, we were told "Its the MDs car and he's not in on a Sunday" WTF? We were looked at as if the saleman had trodden in some dog sh*t cause of the way we were dressed, but it was no excuse for the car not being there on the launch weekend.
Not a dealer I should ever make a point of returning to.
Letters to both BMW UK and DP Glasgow were treated with complete contempt and it was of no great concern as I had already placed my order with another (reputable) dealer!!
You can only be young once, but you can be immature for ever.....F36, 435i Gran Coupe M-Sport Auto; Tanzanite Blue; ACS springs, ACS engine tuning upgrade; ASC rear exhaust box (non-export). Need NRFs!!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 09:22 AM   #16
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i nthehouse View Post
Cutting a very long story short, a best mate of mine was a family friend growing up of a member of Muse and he told me a story of when the guy first got a bit of cash, went into a lotus dealer and was given the cursory up and down glance when asking for a test drive, only to bang out the cash for a purchase on the table

I'd love to do this one day!
Hah. I still have fond memories of buying my first Lotus. Was 27 at the time, worked in the City and was doing rather nicely. Took a Friday off and woke up deciding to go and test drive one. Phoned up Bell and Colville and headed down A3. Was in tatty jeans and t-shirt. Got met with a cursory up and down look and nearly walked out then and there but I'd just spent 45 mins in car getting there so might as well try the car. Did test drive, liked the car and so said, yup, I'll have one.

"I'm afraid Sir we don't have any available". Well that was strange as I saw one outside with a price tag in window. "That one is sold Sir'. Hmmmm.. Demo? "No Sir, I can't sell you that". So what could I buy. You could put down an order - waiting list of 8 months. Can I have a discount? "We don't discount Sir".

So after a frankly exhaustive 10 minute conversation, I walked out - utterly bewildered that they'd done everything in their power to not sell me a car!

Got in the car and looked up number for HR Owens in London. Spoke to great chap (who later became a good friend due to my serial toy purchasing) who had a cancelled order I could have immediately. Couldn't do a discount but threw in some retro options and free servicing. He had a handover at 9am next morning but could squeeze me in before. So 8am Saturday morning I was in Knightsbridge, did test drive and put deposit down.

About a year later I went to a Lotus Club Event down at B&C in not that but the next Lotus I bought from HR Owens (Esprit Sport 350). As the car caught a fair amount of interest, along came said salesman that had treated me like sh*t first time round. He came to introduce himself. I said we'd already met and explained when....

One of those brief moments in life I shall treasure
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 2
      03-11-2015, 03:55 PM   #17
Andy30D
Captain
British Antarctic Territory
Rep
Drives: 330D M sport fully loaded

Haha i am glad i am not the only one, however it genuinely makes my blood boil. I am an account manager and I tend to expect other sales type people to treat me how i treat my customers!

Also, there are some slightly mental people on here....Greeks and everything
2004 Honda CBR 600-RR.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 04:41 PM   #18
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy30D View Post
Haha i am glad i am not the only one, however it genuinely makes my blood boil. I am an account manager and I tend to expect other sales type people to treat me how i treat my customers!

Also, there are some slightly mental people on here....Greeks and everything
Don't believe a word the Greeks say....... ay Nick the Greek
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0